Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:10 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why change perfection? I was born pretty spectacular and do not feel the need to evolve and change into someone else.
You are not a noun. You are a verb, a state of being. Choosing to be a passive, inert lump without the desire to grow and become a richer, fuller person is not attractive to anyone. Consider that the next time you bemoan yet another relationship disaster on this forum rather that continue to blame bad luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 08:19 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
I like that we have a significant overlap. We can find live music we both like, which I especially appreciate. Also, we lived all of our formative years before we met, so it's kind of nice to connect over all the musical history we share, even if we experienced it separately. Where we don't overlap, it's nice to have a separate musical identity.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:48 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Just asking this question because this came to mind as I was listening to my favorite music earlier today. One of the things that me and my boyfriend have in common is that we're both into the same type of music; and it's one of the many things that attracted me to him initially.

TBH, if my boyfriend only listened to country music, opera or any other type of music I wasn't into, I highly doubt that I would've been attracted enough to him to pursue anything further with him. Just being honest here, because I'm into pop, indie, r&b, K-Pop and some death metal...and if someone that I'm dating (or was considering dating) wasn't into at least *ONE* of the genres of music that I like and they were into something that I would never want to listen to, I probably wouldn't want to date them again.

If you're dating someone (or if you're on a meet & greet with them) and find out through your conversations with that person that their taste in music is NOT anywhere near what you like, would you not seek a second date with them OR would it not bother you what their taste in music is if you click with everything else about them?

Keep in mind that if you were to date and eventually enter into a relationship with a person who liked certain types of music that you were NOT into AT ALL, you'd be exposed to their favorite music on a regular basis and would have to tolerate it along with building a relationship with them.

Could you do it? Would you do it? If not, why?
it wouldn't bother me AT ALL if someone weren't into the same music as me but that's because i'm not passionate about music and music does not play a very important role in my life.

i could see if someone were into going to concerts and if music is important to someone, then i could understand them not wanting to date someone who has different tastes.

it depends what the "thing" is for different people. for me, i love going to the gym and working out, going running, exercising, so i personally would not be able to date someone who did not work out at all. whereas other people probably do not care about that. so depends on the person - could be being a "foodie", being into music, travelling, etc, etc.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:18 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You are not a noun. You are a verb, a state of being. Choosing to be a passive, inert lump without the desire to grow and become a richer, fuller person is not attractive to anyone. Consider that the next time you bemoan yet another relationship disaster on this forum rather that continue to blame bad luck.
^^^^This.

I remember a time, only just a few years ago, when I was set in the types of music I wanted to listen to. Then, after hanging around some new friends I made and browsing through YouTube, I decided to try out some new genres of music I never considered before...and, I ended up loving it! Now, I have even MORE music to jam to and relax to. Had I refused to budge with regard to trying out new kinds of music, I would be missing out on SO much...

Old 05-09-2017, 04:35 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
it wouldn't bother me AT ALL if someone weren't into the same music as me but that's because i'm not passionate about music and music does not play a very important role in my life.

i could see if someone were into going to concerts and if music is important to someone, then i could understand them not wanting to date someone who has different tastes.

it depends what the "thing" is for different people. for me, i love going to the gym and working out, going running, exercising, so i personally would not be able to date someone who did not work out at all. whereas other people probably do not care about that. so depends on the person - could be being a "foodie", being into music, travelling, etc, etc.
I agree with you, Bell.

It depends on whatever that person's particular passion is as to who they choose to date who also shares that same passion. My passions are music, horror movies (especially any that are zombie related ), first person shooter military games on xbox and boating/fishing. If I could find a guy who even liked only ONE of my passions, I'd be a happy girl.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:37 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
*tosses a million bottles of champagne at you*

Old 05-09-2017, 04:39 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
People that are delusional and full of themselves are definite deal breakers, and generally horrid people, I've found.
I'd add to this statement but the mods would light my ass up.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:52 PM

645 posts, read 750,967 times
Well you can't force someone to like the same music as you. As long as i don't have to listen to it i'm fine.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:26 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
Music is a huge part of my life, but even I don't insist that they like the same music as me, since so few people do. I only ask that they tolerate it, like if I'm playing it in the car or something. And if they do, I'll gladly tolerate the top 40 hits they usually listen to.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Let's see... priorities are:

Honor
Trustworthiness
Compatibility
Finances
Humor
Child rearing
vacations
pets
religion
ethics
activities
Support
Love
Friendship

Music is going to be wayyyy down the list
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships