Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 07:09 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
First of all, I wanted to sign up for Tinder / Bumble or similar apps, and nowhere did it say there was a subscription price. I thought they were free because nothing was mentioned about any payment in iStore or on their sites. I download these apps, and all of a sudden they ask me for my credit card! I don't even know how much will be charged, this info just isn't publicly available, I searched everywhere!

Are any of you guys using Tinder and Bumble? Are these truly the mainstream choice now, or are people still using oldschool sites like Match or OkCupid?
I don't use online dating period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 07:19 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I think my Galaxy asks me to verify payment info when I download an App, even when it's free.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-10-2017, 08:03 PM

349 posts, read 990,105 times
Thanks for the replies. I successfully got those free apps and you're right, no payment was required.

Here's my problem with these apps. It seems to me they're (1) geared toward the young crowd, 20s mostly, and (2) extremely competitive looks-wise, so you've got to be in the top 10-15th percentile. They're almost like games, an extension of social media entertainment used by young people.

Someone mentioned real life, but meeting people in real life is tricky. You depend on both you and the other person being by themselves so you can say something to each other, otherwise you can't do anything. And the general population is all kinds of people, of all ages and backgrounds.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 PM

142 posts, read 97,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
I don't use any of those. I have show stopping looks, people throw their phone numbers at me as soon as I walk out the door..
LOL. Good one made me laugh. Thanks. Like the other poster said, OP, you can just skip it. All apps ask for payment setup I just skip it.

I read your post above. Yes, dating apps are mostly for vain young people. If you are into those, good luck. You are better off with online dating I mean like using a PC in their website, but I know most of them have apps now too.

I don't know, maybe farmers only.com? Not kidding, I will go in there if I am not married by now. I met my husband online, by the way, OP.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:53 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,547 times
Tinder worked well for me for the first year, and then suddenly out of the blue I stopped getting matches. Went from maybe 1 in 12 (I was pretty picky too), to 1 in 1000. Even bots ignored me. I suspect they do this to everyone to try to coax people into upgrading their account.

So I'm back on OK Cupid now... not really interested in paying to upgrade an account that might continue not working.

But I get the impression nobody else is on it. I think there is something addictive about the swiping and the ease of striking up a conversation. Somehow OKC almost seems like 'too much' information. Tinder is obviously too little for a serious relationship but I think the sweet spot is probably somewhere in between.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:00 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I used OKC, Yahoo!Personals, POF. None of them worked for me. I don't trust Tinder because I'm not really a "hookup" kind of person. Not to mention, I've heard some less than stellar things about individuals who go on Tinder.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
I'm 45 an use them. Never paid. Bumble date tonight (runs a farm), OKC Sunday (owns a P/T clinic), Tinder Tuesday (graphic designer), Bumble date next Friday (high school principal). There are people of all age ranges using all of them, from all backgrounds and professions. It's easy. Give it a shot.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:28 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,517,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
First of all, I wanted to sign up for Tinder / Bumble or similar apps, and nowhere did it say there was a subscription price. I thought they were free because nothing was mentioned about any payment in iStore or on their sites. I download these apps, and all of a sudden they ask me for my credit card! I don't even know how much will be charged, this info just isn't publicly available, I searched everywhere!

Are any of you guys using Tinder and Bumble? Are these truly the mainstream choice now, or are people still using oldschool sites like Match or OkCupid?
Only one way to find out good luck

It's a chance to meet people with relative ease so why not?

Old 05-12-2017, 11:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
It's a pretty easy, efficient way of meeting people.

As far as quality of people, mileage varies and a lot of variables obviously go into that. Don't expect it to be anything beyond than what it is, which is an avenue to basically easily sort out and meet people of your choosing.

I feel like people expect magic.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:51 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm 45 an use them. Never paid. Bumble date tonight (runs a farm), OKC Sunday (owns a P/T clinic), Tinder Tuesday (graphic designer), Bumble date next Friday (high school principal). There are people of all age ranges using all of them, from all backgrounds and professions. It's easy. Give it a shot.
You always have so many dates! I've been communicating with one guy on Tinder who asked if I'd like to grab a bite with him this weekend, but he lives a bit far away and I think he'll probably want me to meet him halfway or something, which I'm not going to do. But he seems like he might be a decent person and all. My Tinder Plus subscription ends next week and I don't think I'm going to renew it, but I also don't want to use free Tinder because then I won't be able to hide my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships