Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

We've tossed around thoughts about this situation on a few posts in recent months and it is something that is a legitimate concern. It completely depends on the couple. I have known several couples although not very many in which the woman was noticeably taller than the man and I think that today this is more accepted by friends and family than it would have been a generation ago. However, some women, I believe the majority of women, do prefer men who are taller and this has been the subject of legitimate studies for many years. The good news for shorter guys is that there actually are women who are taller who aren't bothered by the height difference so it's not something that's impossible.
I would also urge women who suggest that men are insecure or have personal problems when they bring this up as an issue to consider the fact that shorter men do in fact have a more difficult time in the dating world and as someone who is also short (about 5ft 7in) I have experienced it myself. Personally I would prefer someone who is shorter than I am so I don't have the difficulty in trying to find a tall woman who is looking for a shorter guy. I also find tall women attractive but to be perfectly honest I would feel a little foolish dancing with a woman who was half a head taller than me. I would like to find a woman who is proportionally a match for me so that we would look like we belong together if you understand what I mean.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,571,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Watch all beta manlets agglomerate now

Yeah, another "short guy" with very low self-confidence. What else is new?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
Yeah, another "short guy" with very low self-confidence. What else is new?

Good one!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Taller men also can have a gf who's still taller -at work, there is a couple - she's 6'2" and he is average - 5"10" or 11" . He could have had a gf shorter than himself, - but he doesn't seem bothered, and neither is she, - and that's heart-warming.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta_male View Post
Pretty much title. I'm a short guy (somewhere between 5 foot 6 and 5 foot 7 barefoot), but somehow, I always seem to like girls that are either quite short (5 feet and 5 foot 2) or quite tall for a female (5 foot 8 to 5 foot 10 range). I was wondering for the taller range if 5 foot 6 is too short for girls that height to date, or if you know any examples of that happening and how frequently that happens?

thanks and sorry for the weird question
How tall are you when you stand on your wallet?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I noticed a couple of comments which seem to suggest that short guys with a lack of self confidence are the norm and that it's also something humorous but let's look at the flip side. I have never in my life heard a remark something like this: "Despite his height of 6 ft, 1 in, Johnny was ambitious and confident". A statement like that wouldn't even make any sense because society bestows authority and great promise for those who are tall. In fact they are expected to be more successful both in their careers and in relationships. It's just human nature to view taller men that way and university studies have shown that this is not just some urban myth, it's reality.
The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think the OP deserves to be ridiculed because as I said earlier, the dilema that a short man faces in society is not imaginary. Of course a short man can make it worse by dwelling on it or becoming obsessed with it but nevertheless it's something very real.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I noticed a couple of comments which seem to suggest that short guys with a lack of self confidence are the norm and that it's also something humorous but let's look at the flip side. I have never in my life heard a remark something like this: "Despite his height of 6 ft, 1 in, Johnny was ambitious and confident". A statement like that wouldn't even make any sense because society bestows authority and great promise for those who are tall. In fact they are expected to be more successful both in their careers and in relationships. It's just human nature to view taller men that way and university studies have shown that this is not just some urban myth, it's reality.
The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think the OP deserves to be ridiculed because as I said earlier, the dilema that a short man faces in society is not imaginary. Of course a short man can make it worse by dwelling on it or becoming obsessed with it but nevertheless it's something very real.
I don't think the OP deserves to be ridiculed either. The part about assuming that a shorter guy has low self confidence, though ... have you ever heard a 6'1" man ask if he is tall enough? These kind of posts always come from shorter guys who are insecure about it, so we are responding to that insecurity. If a shorter guy isn't hung up about his height, well, he's not going to ask a question, is he?

I had to wait in a long line at work once and was chatting to some guys standing behind me. One guy had a really nice build, broad and muscular through the shoulders and wearing a fitted shirt. He seemed really relaxed and confident. I noticed that he was shorter than me, and after a while I noticed he was several inches shorter than me ... 5'7", 5"8", tops. I still thought he was very attractive. He didn't look at me with that face, that OH MY GOD YOU ARE GIGANTIC face.

A lot of foreign IT guys work in my building, and I frequently end up in the elevator with one of them. I always smile and say hello. They avert their eyes like I'm an effing Ent, for Pete's sakes. Man up and look me in the face.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,161,930 times
Does height matter? Yes, if you don't have Game. And there will still be a small percentage of women who just won't go for a shorter guy no matter what. Many have preferences for taller guys, but can be won over if you know what you're doing, and then some could really care less.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta_male View Post
Pretty much title. I'm a short guy (somewhere between 5 foot 6 and 5 foot 7 barefoot), but somehow, I always seem to like girls that are either quite short (5 feet and 5 foot 2) or quite tall for a female (5 foot 8 to 5 foot 10 range). I was wondering for the taller range if 5 foot 6 is too short for girls that height to date, or if you know any examples of that happening and how frequently that happens?

thanks and sorry for the weird question
No, you're not too short to date taller women, but please don't go around stealing the taller women. Guys like me (6'5") have a hard enough time finding people close to our height.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

A lot of foreign IT guys work in my building, and I frequently end up in the elevator with one of them. I always smile and say hello. They avert their eyes like I'm an effing Ent, for Pete's sakes. Man up and look me in the face.
I had not realized The Shire was exporting computer workers. Stinking little Hobbits, I hates em! (gollum)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships