Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
A lot of women want to feel like their man can protect them if some type of danger approaches (for example, if someone accosts them randomly).
In what way? What if it's a girl?

Maybe I just don't hang out in the right places with morons who have nothing better to do other than to prove how tough they are.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
In what way? What if it's a girl?

Maybe I just don't hang out in the right places with morons who have nothing better to do other than to prove how tough they are.
I can't say all women, but I wouldn't be surprised if most women have a heightened sense of awareness and even paranoia when it comes to possible, potential danger. Maybe it's a part of the general female psyche. Personal safety is considered daily...ime at least. For example, even tho I live in a safe neighborhood, I wouldn't take my dog deep into the aqua-duct (has an open stretch of land for 2 miles where folk take their dogs) late at night. But, my husband will. Or, if I'm walking in the city at night or off on my own in an unknown area, I'm just cautious. So, perhaps by extension it's just desirable to have a guy that can hold his own (in theory at least).

Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I can't say all women, but I wouldn't be surprised if most women have a heightened sense of awareness and even paranoia when it comes to possible, potential danger. Maybe it's a part of the general female psyche. Personal safety is considered daily...ime at least. For example, even tho I live in a safe neighborhood, I wouldn't take my dog deep into the aqua-duct (has an open stretch of land for 2 miles where folk take their dogs) late at night. But, my husband will. Or, if I'm walking in the city at night or off on my own in an unknown area, I'm just cautious. So, perhaps by extension it's just desirable to have a guy that can hold his own (in theory at least).
I a female is attack, they're usually alone. And if the attacker has a weapon, what is the male going to do? I love this argument from The Office when Andy and Dwight are fighting over Angela:

Andy: I am a man! I'm a bigger man than you'll ever be! I would never sleep with another man's fiance!
Dwight: You're not a man! You don't know how to take care of her! All you do is dress fancy and sing. [imitating Andy] "La la la la la la la la la la!" What does that mean? You can't even protect her!
Andy: Protect her from what? Bears, you idiot? When's the last time you saw a damn bear in Scranton?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I think the insecurity or chip on the shoulder thing is slightly overblown only in the sense that unless youre extremely nervous approaching women and have your head to the ground or are extremely bitter about your situation the overriding factor in how sucessful you are is if the women likes what she SEES[physically] and HEARS[personality] in the Man approaching
You don't have to be nervous, talk in a low voice, or hang your head low to project insecurity. Sometimes the signs are more subtle. Body language is something most women are good at reading. A man may think he's doing a good job hiding his insecurities, but chances are he's sending all kinds of signals that he's not aware of.

The bottom line is that there's always going to be someone who's better than you in some respect. Taller, better looking, younger, more muscular, better dressed, more successful, etc. Rather than focus on what you think your disadvantages, concentrate on the things you like about yourself. I had a friend in college who started losing his hair prematurely. And he wasn't tall, buff, or good looking to begin with. So he was sure his receding hairline would do him in. For a while, he would grow it out to make it look thicker. But he quickly realized he wasn't fooling anyone. Finally, he just shaved it off (this was before it became fashionable to do so). It was very liberating. Now, he no longer had to worry about his hair and could instead focus on being himself. And it worked. The guy had no trouble picking up women.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:16 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
oh i am so tired of this same post over and over

anyway it doesnt matter about size...its the size of the heart.

I dont think I could date a midget though

Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I don't know why but I've always found the short women-really tall men combo when they're together to look silly to me. Just me though.

This describes my grandparents. My sisters and I always laughed and giggled about it as kids, wondering how they ever managed to "fit together" if you know what I mean.

One day my grandma overheard us joking about it, and she told us that when they are horizontal, height is no longer an issue. My grandmother was very matter of fact about it. I miss her.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,012 times
I've turned down dates because the guy was too short for my taste. I'm sure they were nice guys but I like what I like. Sue me.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:24 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
The bottom line is that there's always going to be someone who's better than you in some respect. Taller, better looking, younger, more muscular, better dressed, more successful, etc. Rather than focus on what you think your disadvantages, concentrate on the things you like about yourself. I had a friend in college who started losing his hair prematurely. And he wasn't tall, buff, or good looking to begin with. So he was sure his receding hairline would do him in. For a while, he would grow it out to make it look thicker. But he quickly realized he wasn't fooling anyone. Finally, he just shaved it off (this was before it became fashionable to do so). It was very liberating. Now, he no longer had to worry about his hair and could instead focus on being himself. And it worked. The guy had no trouble picking up women.
There's definitely something to this. I went to college with a woman who had cerebral palsy, and she dated all the time. She knew her disability was going to be a dealbreaker at worst and a limitation at best, but she never thought of herself as unworthy of a relationship. If you go out there assuming that you've already lost, people can see that.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
oh i am so tired of this same post over and over

anyway it doesnt matter about size...its the size of the heart.

I dont think I could date a midget though
How politically incorrect of you, they are reffered to as little people!!!...

And I have to agree with you, we have like 6 threads going about this topic. Women like what they want, it only bothers those who don't have what the women want.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:40 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I've turned down dates because the guy was too short for my taste. I'm sure they were nice guys but I like what I like. Sue me.
And i'm quite sure that these shorter guys have at least at one point in THEIR dating lives judged a girl/woman as undesirable. We like what we like, nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships