Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Why is if he is short, he somehow has a Naopleon complex? Tall guys are just as much as jerks and maybe a bit more uninteresting.
The Napoleon Complex is a myth (It's been proven). Delusionals use that excuse in an attempt to rationalize their shallowness. Nothing wrong with liking tall men, but spare me the psychobabble excuses about "genetic wiring" or "feeling protected" etc. It's nothing but a shallow preference.

I'm as shallow as it gets but you'd never see me making an idiotic comment about men being visual creatures as a rationale to sooth the negative tone associated with being shallow. I'm not in denial. Like some poster said, "Sue me".......I like that.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 PM

56 posts, read 171,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
The Napoleon Complex is a myth (It's been proven). Delusionals use that excuse in an attempt to rationalize their shallowness. Nothing wrong with liking tall men, but spare me the psychobabble excuses about "genetic wiring" or "feeling protected" etc. It's nothing but a shallow preference.

I'm as shallow as it gets but you'd never see me making an idiotic comment about men being visual creatures as a rationale to sooth the negative tone associated with being shallow. I'm not in denial. Like some poster said, "Sue me".......I like that.
As raging said, research has shown that there is no such thing as a Napoleon Complex. Research has shown that short and tall men exhibit the same characteristics. The issue is that women and society just see the characteristics differently when exhibited by a tall man compared to a shorter man.

It is funny how a woman might date a shorter man and have a bad experience and then lump all shorter men into the same category. But, women don't do the same thing with tall men. She might date a tall man that isn't good to her or maybe even abusive and she will date another tall man. She doesn't lump all tall men into the same category. Why the double standard?

Women love to cover up their shallow and superficial ways with...It's just what I am attracted to. Sounds like a mindless lemming to me.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb221 View Post
As raging said, research has shown that there is no such thing as a Napoleon Complex. Research has shown that short and tall men exhibit the same characteristics. The issue is that women and society just see the characteristics differently when exhibited by a tall man compared to a shorter man.

It is funny how a woman might date a shorter man and have a bad experience and then lump all shorter men into the same category. But, women don't do the same thing with tall men. She might date a tall man that isn't good to her or maybe even abusive and she will date another tall man. She doesn't lump all tall men into the same category. Why the double standard?

Women love to cover up their shallow and superficial ways with...It's just what I am attracted to. Sounds like a mindless lemming to me.
You are making an assumption that someone is using the term in a manner that is intended to generalize the behavior of short men. To say that there is no such thing as a "Napoleon complex" is nonsense. The term is also used more describe those people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives. I know a couple of short men that absolutely are pushy and aggressive...and I use that term to describe THAT behavior.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM

461 posts, read 782,471 times
I don't reject someone based on one factor. A short guy can't say he was rejected just because of his height unless he was told. I've had guys from different races accuse me of being racist because I didn't want to go out with them. Funny how they didn't take into account their behavior or lack of compatibility as the real reason.

If a short guy has a chip on his shoulder about his height he'll use it as an excuse because it's easy to fault other people rather than a basic lack of compatibility or look deeper into other traits that makes him undesirable.

Last edited by myrevenge; 04-14-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
I don't reject someone based on one factor. A short guy can't say he was rejected just because of his height unless he was told. I've had guys from different races accuse me of being racist because I didn't want to go out with them. Funny how they didn't take into account their behavior or lack of compatibility as the real reason.

If a short guy has a chip on his shoulder about his height he'll use it as an excuse because it's easy to fault other people rather than look deeper into what he can change about his personality or what really makes him undesirable.
But it's the women who complain about a guy having a "Napoleon complex". Why is it that since he's short he somehow has a complex, instead calling him what he is like other guys, a jerk?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM

461 posts, read 782,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
But it's the women who complain about a guy having a "Napoleon complex". Why is it that since he's short he somehow has a complex, instead calling him what he is like other guys, a jerk?
Pure semantics. Is it better to be called a jerk? At least Napoleon had a brain and accomplished things. It's meant as someone who overcompensates (supposedly) for their height. If I was a short guy, I'd rather have a Napoleon complex. Tall guys get the 'big galoot' label.

galoot:
1)n. a big, dumb, rather oafish man
2)n. description that combines the worst aspects of being lazy and fat
3)n. a combination of 1) and 2)

Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 PM

31,025 posts, read 22,064,322 times
I'm sure most woman would make an exception for a short man in the case of Wealth, famous ala Tom cruise, Fantastic looks or personality!

But, in reality it is almost universal that woman will always have a preference to a taller male unless he fits one of the above exceptions. And if your a really short man you may be dateless throughout most of your entire life. A friend of mine was 5' and he had never had a date at 30 and he was a decent looking guy.

On the other hand a gal that used to come into a place I worked at in College was a little person. slightly over 4 ft and she was with average height men all the time!

Definately a case of a a societal accepted double standard! It may be illegal to discriminate against someones stature, but the Defacto result is it is the accepted norm. Also, it is ok to openly discriminate against a Fat person or ugly person, but not based on ethnic group or race.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
lol it's funny my high school sweetheart, when i first saw him i thought he was the cutest guy ever then i looked down to his legs, yup he was short, at first i was like NO WAY, but yeah 5 years later now and we're getting engaged. he's taller than me by an inch, but i always thought i'd marry someone tall, but now that i think about it and i have thought A LOT LOL, i dont want to hurt my neck so i can kiss him and when i want to argue with him ill look him straight in the EYE LOL, i love him so much i would never trade him for a taller man in the world.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
^^What a nice ending to such a visceral topic...

Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I am not short but I know a guy who is and I am wondering do women tend to reject guys like that?
I don't think just being short is an automatic disqualifier for women.

A friend of mine who's also a personal trainer is only 5'-7" and he gets more ass than a rent-a-car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships