Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 PM

55 posts, read 308,893 times

Advertisements

Is there a difference between southern men and northern men?
Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,462 times
Southern men still open the car door for a woman.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:24 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
Southern men still open the car door for a woman.
Lots of Northern guys do too!!!

In the south, though, I actually had a male work colleague open my car door on several occasions. Which is actually a bit over the line IMO, but I knew it was well-intended so I was grateful.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:24 PM

443 posts, read 1,792,836 times
Southern men say "y'all" .. Northern men say "you's guys"

Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 PM

438 posts, read 1,508,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
Southern men say "y'all" .. Northern men say "you's guys"
Jersey guys say "yous guys". The rest of northern men just say you guys.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:34 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,858 times
I can only speak for northern men when I say, in the winter, we have to wear more clothes.

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-27-2008 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 03:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Jersey guys say "yous guys". The rest of northern men just say you guys.
And Philly guys say "yo," I believe. That's hilarious.

Back to the question at hand. I think there is. As a product of Los Angeles, I would identify as a Northerner and not as a Southerner, with that heavy-duty "pipeline" between the Northeast and So.Cal. There is NOT MUCH sugarcoating in Los Angeles.

When I lived in the Southeast for 2 years, northern women made a beeline for me. The rapport was instant. I saw southern women getting on better with southern men. There is a "code" there and I guess I will never get it, not that I care....

So, then, the southern guy will "sugarcoat" more than his northern counterpart. Perhaps that's how Bill Clinton got the label "Slick Willie." Nonpartisan here, for the most part, but he was so smooth, it was almost slimy. It was similar to talking to a southern realtor or car salesman that was "just as nice as he can be" (one of the great southern expressions, LOL).

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 02-27-2008 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,010,509 times
I lived in the deep south for 3 years. Without a doubt, those men are different from any other men that I've met. The women too. It tripped me out the first time (as a 26 or so year old), I was called "ma'am".

Is it a "better" thing? Obviously, since I'm now in the PNW and thoroughly enjoying myself, I don't think so.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:48 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,585 times
It's not "sugarcoat" it's called respect and it's part of our upbringing, if you haven't been raised in the South than you wouldn't understand, a Southern gentleman will respect you as long as you respect him and even at that we would never say anything derogatory about a woman nor treat her unfairly, because our Mama would smack us upside our head if we did...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
It's not "sugarcoat" it's called respect and it's part of our upbringing, if you haven't been raised in the South than you wouldn't understand...
No, the politeness and respect is very much appreciated. It really is. It becomes "sugarcoating" when you have an ongoing rapport with a southerner as a neighbor or a co-worker with whom you can let down your guard, and you feel like you're STILL getting the filtered version. A northerner, or a westerner, knows that they get "You're full of $hit" about 1/2 the time when dealing with someone they know well and are often glad to hear such constructive candor, so that they know something is WRONG when they NEVER hear such honesty coming from a southerner they know well.

Sidebar:
I know an Alabamian, a good friend, who transplanted to the West 15 years ago and is now living in PHX. He is gradually becoming "Westernized," telling me with much more ease that I'm full of it, or unrealistic, or whatever. You gotta respect that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships