Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 06:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

I'm not an "upgrade" person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:51 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Hold the show... I would expect my future husband to use his bank account to purchase a ring. I am very anti-debt for consumer spending. The only debt payment I want is the mortgage. Maybe a small car payment.
Dipping significantly into savings is equally as financially frivolous.

Spending habits and financial goals are important to the success of a marriage. Money is one of the major reasons for divorce. As I said, it is all relative. Whatever is comfortable is what is important.

One person's comfort may be 10k another 100. Work within those confines. You don't have to propose with a ring with a stone. Again, most local jewelers are happy to work with you.

One thing to remember... there is no correlation between how much you spend on the engagement ring versus the success (or failure) of a relationship/marriage.

Last edited by usayit; 06-02-2017 at 07:01 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 07:02 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
I personally liked the look of a single diamond offset with two ruby stones. Diamond= durability fidelity. Ruby= love.

Since the OP's GF likes other stones, that certainly is an option. I considered a solitaire mount ruby and later have it remounted on a setting of her choosing with an additional ruby to offset a diamond. She would choose the three mount setting and the diamond at a later date.

Instead, I chose to stay "traditional" and stick to three diamonds mount choosing the diamonds and setting myself.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:07 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
It doesn't have to be 1 carat. It doesn't have to be high on the color chart. It doesn't have to be SI1/2 or better in clarity.

You are only looking at it from the bride to be point of view. I personally wouldn't want to be the source of stress over the debt and cost to my future spouse.

Parents were poor immigrants. My father proposed with a solitaire with a cubic zirconia diamond. She wore it for years loving it. On their silver (I think), my father snuck the ring out and had it replaced with a real high end diamond of the same cut/carat. Times have improved financially. Mom spent days staring at it wondering why it looked so especially brilliant.... until he revealed the truth over dinner.

It was a memorable moment for them.

Great post and your parent's beautiful story brought a tear to my eye.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:09 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not an "upgrade" person.
Neither am I. I would have to keep the original for sentimental purposes, so it would be cheaper to just get the one and only ring right from the start. I am attached to the diamond in my last ring and using it to create a new piece to wear in this chapter of my life.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:09 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
I'd want to pick out my ring WITH my fiancee, together. So it would just be a hassle for you to get a ring and then have to return it or maybe she would feel obligated to stick with that one. It's something she'll be wearing every single day, hopefully for life! She should love it and that means getting to pick it out WITH you.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Spending habits and financial goals are important to the success of a marriage. Money is one of the major reasons for divorce. As I said, it is all relative. Whatever is comfortable is what is important.

One person's comfort may be 10k another 100. Work within those confines. You don't have to propose with a ring with a stone. Again, most local jewelers are happy to work with you.

One thing to remember... there is no correlation between how much you spend on the engagement ring versus the success (or failure) of a relationship/marriage.
While this is very true. A future husband of mine, will not have the expense of buying a house or even investing into a house. We would not have a large, elaborate or costly wedding either. Rings would be the only real expense of marriage, so if $10k would break his bank, we are not really compatible or on the same page with money.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:38 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I would not have wanted to pick out my own ring.

I was thinking on this earlier this morning.

I think, IF either husband had presented the ring at the time of the proposal, I would've fallen in love with the ring, just like I was in love with the guy. The ring represents our love story, so I probably would've adored whatever I was given. :-)

Old 06-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I was thinking on this earlier this morning.

I think, IF either husband had presented the ring at the time of the proposal, I would've fallen in love with the ring, just like I was in love with the guy. The ring represents our love story, so I probably would've adored whatever I was given. :-)
I agree. If he knows me well and has put some thought into purchasing a ring, I am sure I would love and cherish whatever he bought.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:

Yeah...this.

I have a friend who's always changing up her wedding ring. Her motto is "I can commit to a man. I can't commit to a ring."

If she sees a pretty ring at a Renn fair, she wears it as a wedding ring. If she feels like wearing a birthstone ring for awhile as her wedding ring, she does.

Her husband is fine with it. And her sentiment makes me smile.

A few years ago, I lost my wedding/engagement ring. Up until last Christmas, I wore various different rings on my wedding finger, as my whimsy dictated. Then at Christmas, my husband bought me a new engagement ring...and that's what I wear now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships