Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If she turns out to be super entitled and expects material gifts at every turn, I have NO issue cutting the cord on it. However, she has given me every indication she isn't a materialistic person and she is more likely to go wild over a cleaned house and a hot dinner ready than a new expensive ring.
You need to read the love languages book pronto.
It will give you some insights on different psychology and how to address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Don't other people have issues they take hard lines on as well? Like marriage, kids, etc. This is just ONE issue where I'm a definite on.
You can't be flexible about kids and marriage.
There is no compromise - just yes or no.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
It's not so much about gifts as it is about consideration. Like, if he sees you have a hole in your fence and the dog keeps getting out, so he fixes it. He gave his time and the cost of a few boards, but what he really did is be a hero. Women need to let men be heros.

When my husband and I met, we were both divorced. I had two kids. I was getting along fine, but my TV was broken, and I didn't want to spend the money to fix it. So, one day, he showed up with a slightly used TV. I was a bit embarrassed because I hardly knew him, but he saw I needed something and so he handled it.

We've been married 38 years now, and he has always been the guy who provides whatever I need, not just gifts but small everyday things. It makes him feel good. It makes me feel good.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You need to read the love languages book pronto.
It will give you some insights on different psychology and how to address.
If someone had a psychology towards receiving a lot of useless crap, I just would not deal with them, simple and plain.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's not so much about gifts as it is about consideration. Like, if he sees you have a hole in your fence and the dog keeps getting out, so he fixes it. He gave his time and the cost of a few boards, but what he really did is be a hero. Women need to let men be heros.

When my husband and I met, we were both divorced. I had two kids. I was getting along fine, but my TV was broken, and I didn't want to spend the money to fix it. So, one day, he showed up with a slightly used TV. I was a bit embarrassed because I hardly knew him, but he saw I needed something and so he handled it.

We've been married 38 years now, and he has always been the guy who provides whatever I need, not just gifts but small everyday things. It makes him feel good. It makes me feel good.
What you are talking about and what OP is saying are two different issues. Your man saw you had needs in your life so under his own discretion he decided to help you with resources he could spare without you asking him.

The OP is talking about women who feel entitled and expect their man to buy them crap 24/7.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:

LOVE this story and you made my day

It seems most people are overboard materialistic.
Don't get me wrong.. I like "stuff", but I know people who can spend hours talking about nothing but what they're going to buy buy buy.
B O R I N G!

Too many women are looking for a guy to buy them outragously expensive stuff because they define themselves by their "stuff".
Usually these women are extremely good looking and I've seen guys put up with it just because the woman's pretty... guys... you have a choice to just walk away.

All things considered South Florida's full of gold diggers both male and female.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If someone had a psychology towards receiving a lot of useless crap, I just would not deal with them, simple and plain.
No.
Read the book.
Try to understand the frailties of humanity for a second.
You'll never make it in any relationship if you just go around charging like a bull and snorting my way or the highway.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:57 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
What you are talking about and what OP is saying are two different issues. Your man saw you had needs in your life so under his own discretion he decided to help you with resources he could spare without you asking him.

The OP is talking about women who feel entitled and expect their man to buy them crap 24/7.
Well, that just speaks to the poor character for the woman.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No.
Read the book.
Try to understand the frailties of humanity for a second.
You'll never make it in any relationship if you just go around charging like a bull and snorting my way or the highway.
No, I just won't stay involved with someone I'm not compatible within this aspect in the first place.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Well, that just speaks to the poor character for the woman.
But this poor character is very prevalent. Enough for it to cause an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships