Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 11:38 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do any vows promise sexual exclusivity at all? I always heard things like love, cherish, honor, care for, etc at weddings.
There is also the traditional phrase "forsaking all others and keep you only unto him/her".

Old 06-07-2017, 11:38 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Do any vows promise sexual exclusivity at all? I always heard things like love, cherish, honor, care for, etc at weddings.
Interesting thought.

I'll assume that "sexual exclusivity" is assumed.
But, as modern times tell us, there is no reason that it should be.
This is just one more factor that couples need to discuss when determining long-term compatibility.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:39 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
I don't think anything has changed at all. There has always been a small segment of the population choosing "alternative lifestyles". It's becoming more acceptable to talk about it openly, so it seems as though the practice is new.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:39 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Forsaking all others.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
There is also the traditional phrase "forsaking all others and keep you only unto him/her".
I've never heard that one. I wonder if any weddings I went to had it. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,232 times
I will join the bandwagon and also say that there is no threat to Monogamy, it isn't going anywhere, and that the majority of people do want to be in a monogamous relationship with the right person. However, I have a lot of friends who are women, and they feel like the OP. My single friends have claimed guys have asked them if they would be open to joining him with another women, or be open to dating other people, OR men they are in relationships asking them to be swingers or have a poly relationship. And I guess it has happened often enough to them, that they think well that's what everyone is doing. I am sure in many relationships today, the subject may come up, and that people are saying they are interested in something different, but I think it is just people talking a lot about it, and not really actually doing it and/or guys just seeing if a woman they like would be open to it. At the end of the day, it's more talk, than people actually going through with it.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:53 AM

651 posts, read 407,810 times
Quote:
In my mind, yes. If i am not the only man in a woman's life during marriage then I would definitely perceive it as dishonorable.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:54 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Historically, marriage has been used for all sorts of reasons, including political, power, status, and money, that often exclude the notion of love and companionship.

Yet... It is those that find a love in an open, poly, or whatever relationship that garners such criticism.

Can we just be happy for others who have found a different path to happiness?

Those that enter into a relationship (or marriage) are the ones who author its expectations and boundaries.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
In my mind, yes. If i am not the only man in a woman's life during marriage then I would definitely perceive it as dishonorable.
Well, if that's the case in your mind, and in her mind, and you agree on that, there shouldn't' be any issues.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:57 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Historically, marriage has been used for all sorts of reasons, including political, power, status, and money, that often exclude the notion of love and companionship.

Yet... It is those that find a love in an open, poly, or whatever relationship that garners such criticism.

Can we just be happy for others who have found a different path to happiness?

Those that enter into a relationship (or marriage) are the ones who author its expectations and boundaries.
From what I've witnessed, people criticize marriages they suspect are for ANYTHING but love and companionship.

Personally, I don't really care. I may not understand their reasons, but I know it's not my business. People get married all the time. So it's not something to think twice about. I just say, "good for you/them," and keep it moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships