Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was talking to one of our younger men in the apt bldg and asked his age and he said 46....I rolled my eyes and said "what about marriage"...he's in his second serious relationship now and she's pushing for marriage as she wants a baby. She fears she'll regret it if she doesn't produce a child. She's 36.

He just can't go with that same thinking and says we have enough people in the world now, too many.

We have another nice 40ish fellow here and he's in a relationship but not gunhoe on marriage either.

I told the first fellow, marriage is not just a word, but as I heard this from someone years ago...it's a Sentence. Easier to get in than get out.

Then there is George C a father of twins at 56....first time dad. He will be 76 when his kids are 20.

With all their money, they can do anything and have help for life.

Any comments here...
Any woman I have been in a relationship with, who sprung this on me, would be gone, pronto.

Baby rabies - no thanks.

George Clooney could be reduced to less than 1% of his current net worth and would still be quite rich, and he could "work" some more if he wanted. Me, not so much.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:02 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Have you ever been married, gotten divorced, and lost all those things people cry about in the internet?

And homeless because of a divorce? c'mon man Lol
Not homeless.. But a former coworker of mine lost enough in divorce court that he had to move into his parent's basement. ExWife lived in their very nice house. 2 kids on the older side. She also worked.

It was shortly before a lot of layoffs in the tech field and the judge refused to adjust alimony to match his current (way underpaid) salary. According to him, the judge literally said "You are not trying hard enough." when he pleaded with him.

He is one of the two cases I've seen personally that really scared the crap out of me.

The other lost almost everything (SAHW). She took the house, rented it out, and moved to her native country; living off of the proceeds.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:24 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Not homeless.. But a former coworker of mine lost enough in divorce court that he had to move into his parent's basement. ExWife lived in their very nice house. 2 kids on the older side. She also worked.

It was shortly before a lot of layoffs in the tech field and the judge refused to adjust alimony to match his current (way underpaid) salary. According to him, the judge literally said "You are not trying hard enough." when he pleaded with him.

He is one of the two cases I've seen personally that really scared the crap out of me.

The other lost almost everything (SAHW). She took the house, rented it out, and moved to her native country; living off of the proceeds.
I doubt, divorce court forced him into his parents basement, while the ex spouse got everything else. I think, there was other things at play .i.e unemployment.

Sure, I have no doubt the courts are slightly skewed in favoring women (especially with children involved) but not enough to send someone pushing a shopping cart down the street, homeless, and begging for money, as some guys claim (who has never been married and divorced).

Old 06-08-2017, 02:27 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I agree that courts tend to favor women. I do think it needs to change - maybe in the same amount of time that the courts favored men in divorces? You all got about another century....

No. I think it should be changed now to be fair.

I know a guy that got back together with his exwife. I believe he cited we are all the same and he would save money....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-08-2017, 02:36 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
I doubt, divorce court forced him into his parents basement, while the ex spouse got everything else. I think, there was other things at play .i.e unemployment.

Sure, I have no doubt the courts are slightly skewed in favoring women (especially with children involved) but not enough to send someone pushing a shopping cart down the street, homeless, and begging for money, as some guys claim (who has never been married and divorced).
That, and where was this guy's lawyer to protect his client? Anecdotally, I've heard that many men sign whatever's put in front of them and don't ask or advocate for themselves. Don't agree to a settlement that screws you over.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-08-2017 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 02:38 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That, and where was this guy's lawyer to protect his client? Anecdotally, I've heard that many men sign whatever's put in front of them and don't ask or advocate for themselves. Don't agree to a settelment that screws you over.
My husband did that.

He told her he wanted (small amount of equity), took the bills and high tailed it out. He said it wasn't worth the arguments and he could always make more money.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-08-2017, 02:48 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That, and where was this guy's lawyer to protect his client? Anecdotally, I've heard that many men sign whatever's put in front of them and don't ask or advocate for themselves. Don't agree to a settelment that screws you over.
And some men, simply don't show up to court. I know of a relative that was so bitter and angry he brushed it off and didn't show up to court. The ex wife was award whatever she wanted, and then some. My cousin complained he got shafted in court

No brah, you shafted yourself, idiot.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
And some men, simply don't show up to court. I know of a relative that was so bitter and angry he brushed it off and didn't show up to court. The ex wife was award whatever she wanted, and then some. My cousin complained he got shafted in court

No brah, you shafted yourself, idiot.
That dude only has himself to blame. No disrespect of course.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:09 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My husband did that.

He told her he wanted (small amount of equity), took the bills and high tailed it out. He said it wasn't worth the arguments and he could always make more money.
When battling what you feel is fair to you with someone who thinks otherwise goes on long enough and involves court dates legal fees, lawyers and legal filings all you want is to make it go away and focus on the future.

It can become less about what you feel is right and more about just making it disappear from your life.

Money doesn't last forever, a stubborn legal battle can quickly drain you in filing fees alone.

People forget it actually costs you to challenge people back or defend your position, It's not just one side who has to pay out.

Last edited by rego00123; 06-08-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
And then there are the men (my ex) who take their half of the settlement ($50K) and put it down on a huge $500K house for his girlfriend, acquire 3 mortgages, and finally walk away from it 10 years later, $200K under water. Idiots!

Some men are better off with nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships