Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 06:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times

Advertisements

I've been here 51 yrs and came married from the East and ended up divorced after some 8 yrs of marriage.

Lots of divorces and attorneys do very very well.

It's the warm weather, beaches and Hollywood influence.

I took a job transfer to close to No Cal and being up there was like day and night compared to down here.
So much easier for a relationship for the most part. Silicon valley is another story, but all in all much more stable, I think.

I'm glad I'm totally not looking for anyone of the opposite sex for anything but good friends and I have some males in my apt bldg who are helpful to me. And these men are in their 40's..I'm like their grandma.

Californians see this difference?

Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
New Report Shows Divorce Rates Highest in Bible Belt States

I think this might be one case in which being divorcee makes you especially observant and sensitive to others going through/been through divorce. So it might be perceived in that manner (and unfortunately discouraging)

I'm not in CA so I cannot comment specifically on the dating scene there.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
Interesting on the report re: bible belt states. I read some of the comments and that too interesting. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 PM

48,537 posts, read 34,891,275 times
So you are basing this on what you see locally? No data or studies?

Okay, here's what I saw:

It's basically all the same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-08-2017, 07:16 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
I think it is a natural tendency to form views and perceptions on locale observations. Kinda like when you buy a car, you suddenly noticed all the people driving the same car.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,720 times
I had the same experience, but I don't know if it's true of the region as a whole or just the people I knew. I lived in Southern California (because of a job I got) for a few years right after college. I mostly seemed to make friends with other transplants. And the two most screwed up men I ever dated (who really played games with me and broke my heart) were SoCal transplants. I kind of have this theory that SoCal attracts a lot of broken people for some reason.

Most (but not all) people I met from other areas who moved there had issues (usually family issues). It seemed to me like they fled to SoCal from other places and were trying to run away from their lives and start over. But in most cases they didn't realize you can't really run from that kind of thing when you are the common denominator. Even among friends there was always some kind of drama going on over silly stuff. I was always out of the fray, but it was weird to me because I never ran into that with my friends back home.

As far as the men I dated, one cheated on me and the other was hitting on other women. One was probably a narcissist and used to gaslight people and the other was full of self pity because he claimed women always broke his heart (without realizing he chased them away. Hello, chasing after another woman while dating me and standing me up on dates when we are supposed to be a couple... of course I am not going to put up with that. I just stopped making dates with him and he never called again. To this day he probably claims I broke his heart too and abandoned him for "no reason." For what it's worth, she lost interest in him the minute I left... she was playing games too.)

Maybe that's what you and I saw, the dysfunctional transplants running from their problems and just creating new ones. I don't think it's really the population as a whole, but I think there are pockets of these kinds of people. By the way, I too don't live there any more. I got a job closer to home and came back. Glad I did because I met my boyfriend here... a nice, normal guy with a heart of gold who doesn't play games... other than footsie under the table.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 PM

48,537 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I think it is a natural tendency to form views and perceptions on locale observations. Kinda like when you buy a car, you suddenly noticed all the people driving the same car.

I never assume what see/hear/feel applies to the population at large. If I get curious about something I look it up to see if it matches what I am experiencing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships