Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:28 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Sorry I'm not married but after reading the numerous threads on divorce I'm just curious on the bolded,

Is that only in Texas? I.e. Anything that's not purchased during your time together can't be divided up even though it's classed as an asset?

I only ask as I've never heard of or even considered ^^^^ before thank you for your time mate
It's generally true in what's known as "Community Property" states. Texas is one of 9 such states, although 2 of those states, Texas and California, are large states in both area and population.

https://www.thebalance.com/community...states-3193432
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:33 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's generally true in what's known as "Community Property" states. Texas is one of 9 such states, although 2 of those states, Texas and California, are large states in both area and population.

https://www.thebalance.com/community...states-3193432
That's a great link thank you for taking the time in posting it mate

Old 06-11-2017, 07:24 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times
Some guys (I speak for guys because I am one) fear of never seeing thier children again. Or losing thier home and everything they built up with this other person.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:24 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
I'm not afraid of divorce at all. I actually almost got married last November but then life said no

Old 06-11-2017, 11:35 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
That is so cute!

I wanted to be my ex crush so I could be with him all day long My spirite in his body, we would have so much fun

I didn't think it was cute, it hurt my heart when he wrote that.

I was relieved to see he is happier now - he seems like a great person.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2017, 12:52 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
... Are you afraid of divorce because you would lose your loved one or because you would lose your house and moneys?
... Which one is the real reason?
In my profession, the big concern is mostly about loss of income, through alimony and child support. We have extremely high divorce rates on subs.

Now that I am retired, if my Dw left me, she would get 50% of pension. Which would put me way below poverty.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Some guys (I speak for guys because I am one) fear of never seeing thier children again. Or losing thier home and everything they built up with this other person.
Unless the father has engaged in criminal activity with the children, no judge would allow a divorced father to never see his children again. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Many of the divorced men I know (here in California) don't even avail themselves of the weekends or holiday weeks when the children are supposed to be with daddy, because daddy is too busy living his newfound bachelor lifestyle and the kids just get in his way.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:36 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Sadly, many divorced dads who leave the domicile with the intent of sharing up tp 50% custody find they really enjoy not having kids around 24/7 and begin cultivating a kid-minimizing lifestyle. When kids get to middle school and older they are busy, and "dad time" isn't pushed, until you get to the point of once a month, maybe much less. This is just how it goes when one parent is allowed to basically check in and check out at will.

These type custody issues don't go to court, because what mom wants to force her kids to spend time with an indifferent dad when they can be at home doing what they like to do? So moms just do more and more of the 24/7.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:47 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Lawyer friend of mind and I talked about this.. father's having difficulties connecting with their children post-divorce. She warned me that I too may have strong emotions/feelings as I'm already dealing with conflicted feelings as a father/husband (which is why I still remain in the home to be with them daily).

To say that women are evil beings trying to submit misery on the ex-husband and take everything financially is not true.

It is also inaccurate to project fathers as terrible parents not suited to have children in the first place.

It is fairly complex topic.. mostly psychological. There are numerous articles online speaking to the phenomenon. You are essentially dealing with a broken man at this point; it is a lot easier for women to find /ask for emotional assistance to pick up the pieces post-divorce. They usually maintain custody of the children. So while it may be difficult being a single mother, they can still find fulfillment as the primary caregiver of the children. A role they maintain before and after divorce.

Men.. .just like many find it difficult to fight for alimony.. also find it difficult to re-connect with their children. This is especially true when the children were the topic of a custody fight and/or used as leverage against the father. MOst of the time, it is the father that moves out of the home... emotionally/perception wise.. that can feel like loosing everything. Many spend decades coming home to a full house but now... they return daily to an empty apartment. It is demoralizing to say the least... easier to run away and focus on a completely new life.

My lawyer friend (twice divorced female divorce lawyer specializing in representing fathers) mentioned that after the divorce, she was still able (on a daily basis) find strength in focusing on being an excellent mother. She found great strength in helping her children through the divorce.

The father... is still in the picture.. but as a father he identified as a provider and protector of thefamily. He was suppose to keep the family together. All of which he felt he failed in... and struggled to pick up the pieces. He certainly wasn't "allowed" to be at the home daily to participate in children's lives. With that... he is a part time dad... and that's painful too.

I've said that there are biases in divorces.. not legal but by the people involved. This is an example of it. We don't assume or even allow the notion that men/father in divorce are experiencing emotional distress (similarly we don't expect new fathers to have post-partum depresssion). When they do, they may have difficulties making the right choices.... and when they don't, we assume only the worst intent.

ps> I'm not making excuses for non-participating fathers. Just saying that there are other factors that MAY be involved beyond the seemingly obvious conclusion of things like "enjoying their new bachelor lifestyle", "didn't want to be parents to begin with", and "didn't want/like his children". I've posted several times that I absolutely have no respect for deadbeat fathers... Most of my friends are single mothers. I have a deep love and respect for each one. It is my personal fear that when we split our ways, I will not have the strength to be the father I want to be to my children... even now.. I see them daily.. participate with them daily... but still find it emotionally difficult knowing that I too failed as a husband/father.

Last edited by usayit; 06-11-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
) I'm so confident in my ability to make money, I wouldn't even be worried.
This is really a huge difference. I do not make much money, so what I have accumulated over the years was a huge challenge. I cannot easily rebuild, so losing everything to divorce again at my age, is not realistic. In my 20's, leaving a bad marriage was worth losing a good chunk of my assets and starting over.

But I will not marry again, unless I know that it is for the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships