Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,589 times

Advertisements

I just started recently seeing this girl (2 dates/hang outs). I would say that I do like hanging out with her but I am not sure if it is genuine or if I have just been lonely for so long that I would enjoy hanging out with any girl in this way.
I know its not fair to compare, but my first girlfriend at 18, I felt like we truly "clicked", I loved hanging out with her, I was super attracted to her. I cannot remember if I knew all this from the beginning or if this happened over time (I realize things might be different with your first love)
Anyway, something is just nagging at me. Almost like maybe I am wasting my time and will never love her. Or that maybe there might be a stronger connection out there.

(sorry for this not really being a discussion but just me venting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 05:58 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
No, you understand. It definitely sounds like you are not into her. You know what that feels like and this isn't it. "It" doesn't change because it's your first girlfriend or your last.

You need to be the good guy and let her slip off the hook.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:59 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Hmm. There's nothing wrong with dating her if you keep it light and try not to lead her on. Who knows? Something might develop. If you're still not feeling it after a few more dates, let her know that though you like her as a person, you don't feel you are compatible.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:56 PM

728 posts, read 471,854 times
I move slowly. Most women don't realize this and think I may not be into them.

It's not all or nothing for everyone on a date. I think things can develop the more you're with someone.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 PM

264 posts, read 183,105 times
Seems like 2 dates might be a bit premature to declare anything. I mean sure, sometimes it's obvious after meeting someone once or twice that there is no chance of any deep relationship, but it seems to me that if you like hanging out with her, but you're just not sure, then hang out some more. No need to decide anything this instant. Spend some time together and see what happens. Maybe you'll continue to click well. Or maybe not.

For me the test is always to ask yourself now and then "do I want to be with this person when they're not around?" As soon as you start to feel like the answer to that question is "not really", then it probably isn't going anywhere. At least that works for me.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
Seems like 2 dates might be a bit premature to declare anything. I mean sure, sometimes it's obvious after meeting someone once or twice that there is no chance of any deep relationship, but it seems to me that if you like hanging out with her, but you're just not sure, then hang out some more. No need to decide anything this instant. Spend some time together and see what happens. Maybe you'll continue to click well. Or maybe not.

For me the test is always to ask yourself now and then "do I want to be with this person when they're not around?" As soon as you start to feel like the answer to that question is "not really", then it probably isn't going anywhere. At least that works for me.
This - I'm not sure why people are so afraid of wasting time that they almost immediately want to let someone go if there's not a "spark". I think it can be easy to tell if you absolutely DON'T click with someone but it can take a little time to tell if you do. Just because you click fast doesn't mean you'll stay clicked!

Old 06-12-2017, 02:10 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybad View Post
I just started recently seeing this girl (2 dates/hang outs). I would say that I do like hanging out with her but I am not sure if it is genuine or if I have just been lonely for so long that I would enjoy hanging out with any girl in this way.
I know its not fair to compare, but my first girlfriend at 18, I felt like we truly "clicked", I loved hanging out with her, I was super attracted to her. I cannot remember if I knew all this from the beginning or if this happened over time (I realize things might be different with your first love)
Anyway, something is just nagging at me. Almost like maybe I am wasting my time and will never love her. Or that maybe there might be a stronger connection out there.

(sorry for this not really being a discussion but just me venting)
Listen to your gut instinct.

While it's nice to give someone a chance, if you're already wondering if there's something "more" out there, then she's a possible friend at most and it's not fair to lead her on when you don't feel the same.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:15 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I suspect you know the answer. I always did.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,042 times
Why take it so seriously? Hang out, see what happens? Spending time with someone because you potentially won't marry them is a waste?

See other women while remaining friends with her. What's the big deal?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:25 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Too funny with the original post. It sounds similar to my first-ever relationship. I was 18 at the time, and never dated before.

A girl in my class showed interest, and being the red-blooded 18-year-old that I was, I jumped at the chance. I quickly learned that she had nothing in common with me, and I wasn't attracted to her, either. I still kept seeing her (because immaturity), and all throughout, I had the same nagging feeling as the OP: something felt off, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was. Although the biggest contributor to that feeling was her turning down my date suggestions, like museums, etc. She broke up with me a few months later. I was upset at first, but deep down inside, a part of me felt relieved.

My advice to the OP: peacefully and cleanly end things with that girl. It's only been 2 dates; it's not enough time to get entrenched. If you keep seeing her any longer with how you feel, you will do damage. Your conscience won't like it, either. If your personal beliefs allow it, stay friends with her, but don't waste her time romantically if your heart isn't in it.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-14-2017 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships