Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:40 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I read the whole thing and still side with the OP. If a woman came into my apartment and tried to boss me around or tell me how to take care of my dogs or what to eat for example.. No exceptions she's got to go.. I would never let a woman treat me the way the OPs girlfriend treats him.
I'm the same way, which is why I'll never let a woman move in with me, or move in with her, unless she's a platonic friend.

However... about the bolded part. The OP never said it was his apartment. He and his girlfriend are renting one together. She works a waitress job, and his father is temporarily footing his half (until the OP's job starts). So the territory is truly shared, rather than her encroaching on his home turf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 04:19 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Okay, so if she's going to be doing all of the cleaning, what is your contribution to the household chores? You both live there, so you both chip in. It sounds like she does need to lighten up about some things--if you fold the towels differently than she does, than she's just going to have to live with that. You don't get a free pass to do nothing, though.
Per the bolded --- Yup. My husband folds the towels differently. I don't let it bother me since he puts them in the correct spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, you want her to be happy, but that doesn't involve you running a vacuum once/week, and scrubbing the tub/shower stall? You don't want her to be too happy?

Just trying to get your concept, here.

In any case, if the internship is paid, you might be able to afford a cleaning person a few hrs./week. If not, you'd better roll up your sleeves at home.

Per the bolded: That's a good idea but I find that controlling people don't like the idea of hiring a cleaning person because they won't do as good a job as the controller. My mother was like that. She complained constantly. No one did anything right ("right" was her way) and thus, we were all lazy. She refused to hire a house cleaner because, according to her, they never did a good enough job.

OP---Should the two of you break up, keep this in mind---unless you get some counseling, you're going to end up with the same type of woman again and again.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:41 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Don't do it, Flacko. Don't eat food you don't want to eat. And tell her, I'm not eating food anymore that I don't want to eat.

Different people have different metabolisms. Some people crave red meat, some crave cantaloupe.

It's ridiculous for her to tell you what to eat.

Bad advice. Most people eat food they don't want to eat all the time, they need to to keep healthy.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:03 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post
I just try not to get mad anymore, or, at least not, show it as much, because I know how awful it makes her feel
Well, we teach people how they may treat us, by accepting (or not) their behavior.

If you don't like it, don't get mad. Instead, state calmly "Beatrice, I was watching that. I am an adult. As such, I will decide when I have watched enough. Please do not do that again."

Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
instead of long lectures about, " you have 0 idea how much I do around here..." just tell me to vacuum
No. You're an adult. You are equally responsible for the maintenance of your living space. What needs to be done? Just do it. Don't wait for someone to point it out to you. You have eyes, don't you?

Old 06-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying, I'm not sure why she gets on me about cleaning when she knows I'll screw up all the while she knows what to do
It's time for you to learn, Flacko. Welcome to adulthood.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:11 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I read the whole thing and still side with the OP. If a woman came into my apartment and tried to boss me around or tell me how to take care of my dogs or what to eat for example.. No exceptions she's got to go.. I would never let a woman treat me the way the OPs girlfriend treats him.
What makes you think it's his apartment, and that she barged in? He'd been living with his parents before then, and she'd been working, so by all indications so far in the thread, it could have been her place, and he joined her there.

She didn't tell him how to take care of his dog. He said she hates the dog, so she lets him do all the taking care of. The vegetable Nazi act has to go, though, for sure.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
she knows how to do them quickly & well so what's the point of having me do them slowly, not so well, then redoing them?
You're just looking for validation that it's OK to be lazy; it's not. May as well figure out the mysteries of vacuuming, or you will have conflicts with future roommates and live-in love interests as well.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
she can't stand the dog and since I can, I'm the one who gives him food, water, bath, walk, etc
So it's your dog. You're the person who should be taking care of it. You aren't doing your GF a huge favor by taking care of your own dog.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:39 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
So it's your dog. You're the person who should be taking care of it. You aren't doing your GF a huge favor by taking care of your own dog.
OP, did your mom used to feed your dog? Who used to bathe him, when you lived at home? Do you see a pattern, here?

I think that before you move in with a gf, you should live on your own for a year, at least, and take care of your apartment yourself. You're not at all ready to share a life with someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships