Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:07 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

After sadly having another friend tell me she is divorcing this week, I thought about what I've learned about marriage. My list is not the be all end all, but these six things have been the big ones that I've seen bust up the marriages of my friends over the years.

Children or not. Biggest issue.
Free-time/financial priorities. For example, work long hours for material comforts or work enough to pay the bills to have lots of free time.
Family that comes first. Family of origin (mom, dad, siblings) or spouse and children.
Finances. Spendthrift or saver.
Religion. This is a big one few couples talk about.
Conflict resolution. Fighter or compromiser.

Ending a relationship with someone we care about is so hard and so sad. But, ending a marriage that started with little foundation is tragic, especially when children are involved. My two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 03:08 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Communication is key.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Are you saying these are people who are already married who do not agree on whether or not to have children? That is amazing to me. IDK how you get that far without having that question settled.

In my experience with marriage, it is just a huge adjustment that will magnify any problems you had before getting married.

And it's not always possible to prepare for those conflicts. Yes, conflict resolution is very important, as is the fact that you can't put your own needs and wants first.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Are you saying these are people who are already married who do not agree on whether or not to have children? That is amazing to me. IDK how you get that far without having that question settled.

In my experience with marriage, it is just a huge adjustment that will magnify any problems you had before getting married.

And it's not always possible to prepare for those conflicts. Yes, conflict resolution is very important, as is the fact that you can't put your own needs and wants first.
This comes up in second marriages usually, but not always. One or the other want a child(ren) and the other doesn't. People change their minds or aren't honest about wanting children.

I disagree that "you can't put your own needs and wants first". Taking turns with needs and wants is the key, in my opinion.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:27 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
How long have you been married, OP?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
How long have you been married, OP?
30 years. You?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
After sadly having another friend tell me she is divorcing this week, I thought about what I've learned about marriage. My list is not the be all end all, but these six things have been the big ones that I've seen bust up the marriages of my friends over the years.

Free-time/financial priorities. For example, work long hours for material comforts or work enough to pay the bills to have lots of free time.
Family that comes first. Family of origin (mom, dad, siblings) or spouse and children.

Ending a relationship with someone we care about is so hard and so sad. But, ending a marriage that started with little foundation is tragic, especially when children are involved. My two cents.
Religion often isn't talked about because it suddenly can get important once you have kids...suddenly non-practicers get religion...that one can be a tough one to anticipate.

As for the other non-kid issues, you can typically ferret them out pretty quickly if you're at all observant while dating - but yes, these are the biggies.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:49 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

So your news flash is to marry someone you're compatible with? Thanks!

Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I disagree that "you can't put your own needs and wants first". Taking turns with needs and wants is the key, in my opinion.

You can "take turns" in times of stress, certainly.

But on a daily basis, the assumption has to be that you consider your spouse BEFORE you consider your own desires or you will fall prey to the actual worst enemy of marriage which, IMHO, is apathy. When you get married and put yourself on cruise control with your spouse, you are letting selfish concerns (what's easy to do vs. what's difficult) rule over sacrifice.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Communication is key.
I heard a really interesting discussion once, between counselors. If you basically disagree, communicating makes things worse. Shutting up makes them better.

Interesting perspective.

For example, if one partner feels strongly that their partner is sloppy and has let themselves go, saying that more than once or twice is detrimental. It can become nagging.

Continuing to say "your family irritates me" is also a big thing. You can point that out, but then stop.

Don't keep communicating things that are clearly divisive.

Anyway, interesting perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships