Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather be proposed to in private or in public?
Private 33 89.19%
Public 0 0%
Either 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've seen enough public proposals to have grown to loathe them.
I have never even seen one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I used to do a lot of wedding photography, and at one wedding a groomsman got up during the reception, called his girlfriend (a bridesmaid) forward and proposed to her. The girlfriend was obviously trying to stop the proposal, but the boyfriend charged right ahead. She did accept. The bride was horrified. It was supposed to be HER night, not a stage for someone in her wedding party to call attention to himself.

I think public proposals are over-the-top wrong. (I did propose to my wife in a public place, but I did it discreetly.)
It's never ok to propose at someone else's wedding.

My newly engaged friend was proposed to outside on a bench with some strangers around to witness it, so I guess that was somewhat public. I don't think she minded.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Private. I'm not one to call attention to myself, and wouldn't like to blindsided in public like that.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I think any romantic business should be handled in private.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Those public proposals give me the heebie jeebies.

Let's get something clear. If you propose in a shopping mall food court with a mariachi band, at center court during a basketball game, or in front of dozens of friends in some huge orchestrated stunt, this isn't a romantic moment. It's exhibitionism with an added dash of coercion sprinkled on top. Because now you're putting the woman into a position of not only having to make the biggest decision of her life but humiliating you if she says 'No.' The only way you could make it worse is if you had a shot clock.

What's more, if you know the girl is going to say 'Yes,' then the whole thing is just inauthentic as hell, your private life offered up as entertainment for others. You are not in it for the lifelong partnership. You are in it for the applause of others. I mean, it's one thing to propose over dinner at some fancy restaurant. Bueno for you, you romantic dog. But the rest? No freaking way. You are just a creep to do it.

So, as a result, I've developed this perverse appreciation for YouTube videos where the guy has some elaborate proposal at a ballpark or live on air and gets turned down. Every time I see one of those I think, "Well, you deserved it."

In case you're considering this, watch these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql0y-pHZUyk
I couldn't watch the whole video after a while. I felt sorry for the men and women in them. But I have to agree, what are they thinking with such public and embarrassing proposals? Even if I wanted to say yes, I'd be highly embarrassed to be the center of so much attention.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Well I would be honored for a woman to propose to me. Public or private is fine with me so the choice is her's either way I'll say no.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
As a parent I would be upset that the school was utilizing valuable time for personal proposals.
You said it. By the time they got 5 classes each of K and 1st graders, teachers, and assistants into the gym and settled, the proposal, the explanation to the youngest of them what they just witnessed, and got everybody filed back to their classes (and settled,) I estimate 45 minutes was used.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I used to do a lot of wedding photography, and at one wedding a groomsman got up during the reception, called his girlfriend (a bridesmaid) forward and proposed to her. The girlfriend was obviously trying to stop the proposal, but the boyfriend charged right ahead. She did accept. The bride was horrified. It was supposed to be HER night, not a stage for someone in her wedding party to call attention to himself.
That's horrible.... why would anyone do something like that?

Old 06-14-2017, 03:10 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
Private... Much more intimate that way and a moment that is intended between 2 people that may marry.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I hate to be the center of attention, and someday, I hope to see a woman who is proposed to in public to kick the suitor in the balls.

All it is is that the man wants to be the center of attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships