Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather be proposed to in private or in public?
Private 33 89.19%
Public 0 0%
Either 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:33 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times

Advertisements

And why?

The boyfriend of a kindergarten teacher I know prearranged with the principal to have his parents on stage while he proposed in front of over 200 Kindergarten and 1st grade students under the guise of a student assembly. All the K and 1 teachers and assistants were also in on it.

Come proposal time the girlfriend was quite visibly embarrassed and tried to hide her emotional response from the kids with her hand.

Question: Why would a guy want to propose in public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Why? Because he thinks a huge public display proves how much he loves her?

Ugh. Poor thing.

Definitely in private.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
I chose private... something more intimate setting.

I didn't propose to make spectacle.... It also adds pressure on her to say yes... even if deep down she wanted to say no. I'd rather know the truth.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:38 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
It really depends. I'm a private person and don't like to draw attention to myself, but I can imagine some scenarios where a public proposal would be nice.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:50 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I used to do a lot of wedding photography, and at one wedding a groomsman got up during the reception, called his girlfriend (a bridesmaid) forward and proposed to her. The girlfriend was obviously trying to stop the proposal, but the boyfriend charged right ahead. She did accept. The bride was horrified. It was supposed to be HER night, not a stage for someone in her wedding party to call attention to himself.

I think public proposals are over-the-top wrong. (I did propose to my wife in a public place, but I did it discreetly.)

Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Depends on the couple and the individual personalities involved.

I fall in the camp of it being nobodies business but our own, however if I had (for some reason) a potential wife that loved public attention and the admiration of others I may be more willing to be a little more public with the event than I would otherwise be naturally enclined to do so by myself.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
private. Easier to say NO.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
I've seen enough public proposals to have grown to loathe them.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:27 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Those public proposals give me the heebie jeebies.

Let's get something clear. If you propose in a shopping mall food court with a mariachi band, at center court during a basketball game, or in front of dozens of friends in some huge orchestrated stunt, this isn't a romantic moment. It's exhibitionism with an added dash of coercion sprinkled on top. Because now you're putting the woman into a position of not only having to make the biggest decision of her life but humiliating you if she says 'No.' The only way you could make it worse is if you had a shot clock.

What's more, if you know the girl is going to say 'Yes,' then the whole thing is just inauthentic as hell, your private life offered up as entertainment for others. You are not in it for the lifelong partnership. You are in it for the applause of others. I mean, it's one thing to propose over dinner at some fancy restaurant. Bueno for you, you romantic dog. But the rest? No freaking way. You are just a creep to do it.

So, as a result, I've developed this perverse appreciation for YouTube videos where the guy has some elaborate proposal at a ballpark or live on air and gets turned down. Every time I see one of those I think, "Well, you deserved it."

In case you're considering this, watch these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql0y-pHZUyk

Old 06-14-2017, 12:38 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
And why?

The boyfriend of a kindergarten teacher I know prearranged with the principal to have his parents on stage while he proposed in front of over 200 Kindergarten and 1st grade students under the guise of a student assembly. All the K and 1 teachers and assistants were also in on it.

Come proposal time the girlfriend was quite visibly embarrassed and tried to hide her emotional response from the kids with her hand.

Question: Why would a guy want to propose in public?
As a parent I would be upset that the school was utilizing valuable time for personal proposals.

I would hope that a man would know his woman enough to know what her answer will be and what type of proposal she would want.

Disclaimer: I have not yet experienced the real proposal thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships