Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 11:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I'm trying to get over my insecurities..Hopefully I will one day.. it's just hard as hell to have confidence in something you've never succeeded at.
You can't succeed if you don't try. Find some groups/clubs/activities to join that have significant female participation, and just relax and enjoy the gatherings. Be patient. Try different stuff over a year or two. Ms. Right takes time to find. In the meantime, you can practice being funny, and your other social skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can't succeed if you don't try. Find some groups/clubs/activities to join that have significant female participation, and just relax and enjoy the gatherings. Be patient. Try different stuff over a year or two. Ms. Right takes time to find. In the meantime, you can practice being funny, and your other social skills.
Over a year or two? You said it's not about looks but it's gonna take me that long for someone to just agree to even go on a date with me because I'm not great looking? My god lol

Old 06-15-2017, 12:25 PM

35 posts, read 20,101 times
Quote:
Over a year or two? You said it's not about looks but it's gonna take me that long for someone to just agree to even go on a date with me because I'm not great looking? My god lol
I'm guessing your problem isn't finding ms right but finding ms someone?

Old 06-15-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatality View Post
I'm guessing your problem isn't finding ms right but finding ms someone?
Well yeah a first date would be a step in the right direction for me at this point.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know how long it will take, but I always advise people to not expect instant results. And why would you assume that the reason it might take so long would be due to your looks?

The reality is that it takes most people awhile to meet someone, anyone--same gender or opposite gender--that they hit it off with, someone you vibe with, have stuff in common with. They say it's roughly 1 in 100 people (in a dating or socializing context) that you find enough in common with, and find a good enough personality match with, to go on some dates. The sooner you get started putting yourself out there, and weeding and sifting, the sooner you'll get to that preliminary match. It's not only about how you come across, it's about whether you find something attractive about anyone in the particular group, too, you know. It's not all about you. You might try a new activity you've never done before, there are 12 people in the group, say, half of them are women. Even if they're all single women, do you think you might be attracted to any of them? You might not. If you like the activity, you might stick around a couple of months to see if anyone else joins (or to see if one of the women there reveals an interesting side to her, as you get to know everyone), or just enjoy it for its own sake. But you'd have to find a new venue for your dating goals.

It's a process, OP, it's not instant gratification. Try a matchmaker, if this sounds like too much trouble. If you'd started this process years ago, you'd be paired off by now, chances are. You've been wasting your time, and now that you want to get the show on the road, you're expecting things to fall into place in a few months. That's not how it works for a LOT of people.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know how long it will take, but I always advise people to not expect instant results. And why would you assume that the reason it might take so long would be due to your looks?

The reality is that it takes most people awhile to meet someone, anyone--same gender or opposite gender--that they hit it off with, someone you vibe with, have stuff in common with. They say it's roughly 1 in 100 people (in a dating or socializing context) that you find enough in common with, and find a good enough personality match with, to go on some dates. The sooner you get started putting yourself out there, and weeding and sifting, the sooner you'll get to that preliminary match. It's not only about how you come across, it's about whether you find something attractive about anyone in the particular group, too, you know. It's not all about you. You might try a new activity you've never done before, there are 12 people in the group, say, half of them are women. Even if they're all single women, do you think you might be attracted to any of them? You might not. If you like the activity, you might stick around a couple of months to see if anyone else joins, or just enjoy it for its own sake. But you'd have to find a new venue for your dating goals.

It's a process, OP, it's not instant gratification. Try a matchmaker, if this sounds like too much trouble. If you'd started this process years ago, you'd be paired off by now, chances are. You've been wasting your time.
Yeah I'll try a different avenue..joining a group about something I'm not that interested in to begin with in hope that it might lead to something a year or two down the line doesn't excite me.

As far as matchmakers their pretty expensive

Old 06-15-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Well yeah a first date would be a step in the right direction for me at this point.
It still takes time to find that someone. Someone who notices your sense of humor, and thinks your conversations are interesting. And someone for whom you feel mutual interest. A mutual "hello" is not an easy thing to come by for quite a few people. For some, just that is the Holy Grail. You're not alone, OP; far from it.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'll try a different avenue..joining a group about something I'm not that interested in to begin with in hope that it might lead to something a year or two down the line doesn't excite me.

As far as matchmakers their pretty expensive
I didn't say to join a group you're not interested in. If you back up a few pages, you'll see that I said to find something you might want to try, something that sounds interesting, since you apparently have no interests whatsoever outside of sports. (This defies belief, but it's what you said.)

How else do you want to meet people, if you're not into OLD, and don't want to push yourself out of your comfort zone to try new things? Some matchmakers are expensive, but the old-fashioned Jewish kind (they're still around here and there) can get impressive results, I hear. And you're in New York! I read about a very successful one in NYC! You're in luck!

Sports: a biking group? Or what about a singles Meetup? There might even be a singles Meetup that goes to sports bars. Have you done any research at all? Have you done anything at all to advance your interests besides entrap our good membership into giving you suggestions you brush off?

Remind us, what was your purpose in starting the thread?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It still takes time to find that someone. Someone who notices your sense of humor, and thinks your conversations are interesting. And someone for whom you feel mutual interest. A mutual "hello" is not an easy thing to come by for quite a few people. For some, just that is the Holy Grail. You're not alone, OP; far from it.
People seem to date all the time whether old or whatever way they meet.. seems pretty crazy that if I tried getting dates it would take a year or two.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:14 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Women love guys who aren't afraid to spend money on them. Jewelry helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships