Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:11 PM

777 posts, read 452,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I've heard from people I know, that they had to get rid of a pet because of a significant other moving in.

I just shake my head, bc that would never happen in a million years.
Let's see.... the guy I am now serious about, we've agreed that we won't move in together until we've been together a year.

Let's say he's at my place at least twice a week on average. That's 100+ exposures to my pets.

That's 100+ times I get to observe his interactions with my pets.

No... he knows the score. He knows the dogs are here to stay, and if that's a problem, he has between now and whenever to back out of the relationship.

So far, so good. I definitely think taking time before moving in together is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My dog can decline to bond with either of our children all he likes. The moment he shows a hint of aggression toward either, that's the end.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:01 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My dog can decline to bond with either of our children all he likes. The moment he shows a hint of aggression toward either, that's the end.
I have had to pop my pit bull on the nose (softly) with a newspaper when she showed aggression towards my sister who will be two years old next Saturday. I have trained my dog to be a good dog and no aggression towards children is something I taught it. No exceptions.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Dogs can ALWAYS aggress. Even trained ones.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I would never choose a pet over a person. That's just how I am. My BF has a dog; I like her, he loves her.

I'd never live in a house with a dog. But I'd never live with a man either...so not a big deal.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I have owned precious pets in the past, but after each of them have passed on, I didn't think I'd ever want to go through that again.

Well, I have decided that after I break up with my STBX and move into my own place, I'm going to get another cat (a kitten) and he or she will be a part of my life and they will become a member of my family and will be as important to me as any other new person that enters my life.

Then, I thought about if any guy that I dated in the future would balk at the idea of me having a cat as my pet OR if he would eventually come to my place, meet my cat and decide (or realize) that he did NOT like my pet. IF that happened, I would most likely dump him.

If my cat (who is my pet, and a member of my family and who I love with ALL my heart) was NOT liked by some unimportant stranger that I just met, I certainly wouldn't dump my precious cat at the Humane Society (or a shelter) just to appease some guy!

So...if you had met, dated and begun to fall for a guy (or a woman) that rung all your bells and whistles, and you either mentioned that you had a pet dog or cat (or whatever) OR they actually went to your house and had MET your pet and you could tell by their mannerisms, body language or the things they said that they did NOT like your pet...what would you do?

If they were someone that you REALLY thought could be "the one" or at the very least could be someone you would want to continue dating and see where it would lead - but they absolutely did NOT like your pet and did NOT want to be around them - would you give them a chance to see if your pet would "grow on them", or would you just say 'sayonara' to them and date someone that you KNEW would accept your pet as part of the package of being with you?
This makes me lol. A guy I was QUITE infatuated with screamed when he saw my cat. He had only picked me up before, never come in and waited for me to get ready. He's sitting on the couch unaware of impending danger and a CAT comes out and jumps up to be petted. He was like you have a cat? I'm allergic! I said no worries, she doesn't have that dander or whatever. Doesn't bother my Mom who is highly allergic.

He also flat didn't LIKE cats. I think it was more a situation for him. Will I continue on with this girl with a cat?

There was never a question of would I give up my cat, so again, his issue to decide, not mine. It was never discussed. He liked me more than he hated cats. And mine was SO funny, she won him over a little. I swear she FLIRTED with men! But he was going to put up with her regardless.

I cannot answer your question because it's impossible that 'the one' for me would be a person who would hate my pet. It just couldn't happen. The qualities I seek in people it just couldn't coincide.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Um, I'd be more concerned of the boa constrictor squeezing me to death while I'm sleeping than it eating a ferret!

I'd definitely draw the line of a snake (big or small) roaming through the house! I seriously would NEVER sleep again lol
Snakes usually only kill what they can comfortably swallow.

Mine loved to sleep in the bed! My ex husband was not thrilled to wake up and find a snake curled up with him.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I have had to pop my pit bull on the nose (softly) with a newspaper when she showed aggression towards my sister who will be two years old next Saturday. I have trained my dog to be a good dog and no aggression towards children is something I taught it. No exceptions.
Exactly. My chocolate lab was trained to not even take food or treats from kids. When they offer him something, he will look to me to get permission and he gently takes the item if I say he can.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:25 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Exactly. My chocolate lab was trained to not even take food or treats from kids. When they offer him something, he will look to me to get permission and he gently takes the item if I say he can.
Labs are amazing creatures.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Labs are amazing creatures.
Because they live to please. I would probably not struggle with relationships if I could find a man equivalent to my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships