Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:08 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

I am allergic to cats and I couldn't date anyone who doesn't like my dog. My dog likes everybody, I have hardly come across people who don't like her - even the ones who usually fear dogs.

I have dated a guy with an obnoxious, annoying little ankle biter. I am a big dog person. The owner didn't discipline it and it was barking nonstop and always in the way. With permission, I showed that little biatch who the boss is. No more prolems after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I have owned precious pets in the past, but after each of them have passed on, I didn't think I'd ever want to go through that again.

Well, I have decided that after I break up with my STBX and move into my own place, I'm going to get another cat (a kitten) and he or she will be a part of my life and they will become a member of my family and will be as important to me as any other new person that enters my life.
Just curious...STBX? You KNOW you're gonna break up but you have't yet...so you're delaying? Just until you find a new place? Or is he really your EX now, but you're staying until you get a place? Just sounds weird.

But yeah, back on topic, turn it around. If I didn't bond with a guy's pet I'd be outta there - no growling, scratching allowed. If he spent more time with the dog/cat than me or had to have him in bed with him or his place stunk to high heaven, sorry. I like dogs and cats but a cordial coexistence is perfectly fine - and I'll even occasionally feed and water -no need for me to formally adopt them! But I won't take over all their care and I wouldn't expect him to for any of mine.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 AM

926 posts, read 673,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am allergic to cats and I couldn't date anyone who doesn't like my dog. My dog likes everybody, I have hardly come across people who don't like her - even the ones who usually fear dogs.
I'm the same way. I've had pets before and have only come across one guy in all that time that didn't like the last pet I had, my beautiful but precocious Siamese cat, Cynthia. Not sure why he didn't like her, because she never went up to him or sat next to him or anything; it was like her mere existence bothered him. I quickly kicked him to the curb.

Quote:
I have dated a guy with an obnoxious, annoying little ankle biter. I am a big dog person. The owner didn't discipline it and it was barking nonstop and always in the way. With permission, I showed that little biatch who the boss is. No more prolems after.
lol

Old 06-15-2017, 09:13 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Well most animals eventually learn to like you if you feed them and such, I think most people would be willing to give some effort to the pet if they are romantically interested in ther owner...
As longas you don't decide your next pet is gonna be some wierd reptile kind of thing you should be fine, I mean cats, dogs, rabbits etc are all doable for most people.

Fur is key.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 AM

926 posts, read 673,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just curious...STBX? You KNOW you're gonna break up but you have't yet...so you're delaying? Just until you find a new place? Or is he really your EX now, but you're staying until you get a place? Just sounds weird.
You probably missed the last update I gave to my situation. I'm currently saving up $$ to move out because right now, I don't have enough money to relocate back to my hometown. There are many people like me out there who, unfortunately, are in this same circumstance. I have already discussed this with him and he knows what my plans are.

Quote:
But yeah, back on topic, turn it around. If I didn't bond with a guy's pet I'd be outta there - no growling, scratching allowed. If he spent more time with the dog/cat than me or had to have him in bed with him or his place stunk to high heaven, sorry. I like dogs and cats but a cordial coexistence is perfectly fine - and I'll even occasionally feed and water -no need for me to formally adopt them! But I won't take over all their care and I wouldn't expect him to for any of mine.
This is reasonable on your part. When I say "bond", I don't literally mean they have to fall in love with my cat or adopt it lol - but, they DO have to treat her with kindness and accept her as part of my family.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
I was living in an apt. with a cat when I met a guy who was very allergic to cats. Whenever he would come over, he would break out into hives and start sneezing, all the while my cat would be non-stop hissing at him. The guy was miserable, though he never asked me to get rid of the cat. I really liked this guy. So I re-homed the cat and then married the guy. We've been together 20 years. We now have dogs.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:43 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I was living in an apt. with a cat when I met a guy who was very allergic to cats. Whenever he would come over, he would break out into hives and start sneezing, all the while my cat would be non-stop hissing at him. The guy was miserable, though he never asked me to get rid of the cat. I really liked this guy. So I re-homed the cat and then married the guy. We've been together 20 years. We now have dogs.
Very reasonable....I have to think that if someone REALLY picked their pet over the girl/boyfriend then there was enough wrong in the relationship that it wouldn't have worked, regardless.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
When I met my husband, me and my kids were living with my parents. We had a cat, Victoria.

My husband doesn't care for cats. Plus, he's allergic to them. Never the less, for some reason, Victoria took to him just fine. lol She was always rubbing all over him. Eventually, we put the cat in the basement when he'd come over.

When we got married, Victoria stayed with my parents. It was the house she knew.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:52 AM

777 posts, read 452,196 times
My ex complained constantly about my pets while we were married. After telling family we were splitting up, one informed me he'd actually witnessed the ex kicking one of my pets. Never again. If someone can't be kind, friendly and accepting of my animals, forget it.

Fortunately, I seem to have found someone who accepts them. Time will tell, but he seems to be a keeper in other ways as well.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Whenever I'd bring a woman to my apartment sometimes my pit bull would growl at them. I would always tell her to behave but I realized that my dog was warning me the woman was bad news. I have two dogs now and if you can't bond with or don't like my pets then we aren't compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships