Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If they are mean to the pet, absolutely not. But 'bond' can cover plenty of territory.

When my wife and I started dating, she had a hyperactive Brittany Spaniel. Holy smokes, that thing was high maintenance. Not Jack Russell Terrier kind of hyper, but hyper enough. I fed the dog and walked the dog, but never bonded with the dog. I also once had to, fighting 103-degree temperature and wearing a flannel bathrobe, chase the dog through the neighborhood when she got out of the back yard. But when it was time to put it down after several months of fighting off congestive heart failure, I was the one to take her to the vet's office and be with her when it was time to go.

In other words, it's unrealistic to expect someone else to have the same kind of connection to your pet that you do. Kind to animals is one thing. That should be non-negotiable. Being over the moon smitten with your animal is another.

This.

I also think the, "My dog reacted poorly to X person I brought home, so I know he/she must have been a bad person" line is bunk.

My dog reacted poorly to my now-toddler when I brought him home from the hospital at 3 days old. Pretty sure my infant wasn't/isn't a bad person.

Animals can be territorial and neurotic. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I really do not care how my spouse feels about it as long as they do not mistreat them.

I think it's unhealthy to put pets over poeple in such a way that their inclusion in your life would dictate all your relationships outside of the one you and your pet shares
I don't care whether it's healthy. My cat won't be pushed aside for anyone. No human has done anything to earn my devotion the way she has.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:10 PM

926 posts, read 673,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't care whether it's healthy. My cat won't be pushed aside for anyone. No human has done anything to earn my devotion the way she has.
This is how I felt about Cynthia, my beautiful Siamese cat. She was in my life since she was 8 weeks old, and has stuck by my side through some of the trials and tribulations I went through in my life. She also brought me absolute joy by watching and laughing at her silly antics of "attacking" empty plastic Walmart bags and zipping through the apartment as if she was chasing something when nothing was there lol. Cynthia was with me during my worst heartbreak, when my abuelita passed away and whenever I was sad or troubled about something. She would instinctively know whenever I needed love or hugs because she would follow me where ever I sat and would hop onto my lap and nuzzle her cute little face against my neck. I was very lucky to have had her in my life for 4 precious years until she was hit by a car.....I thought the sliding door was closed all the way but it wasn't, and she got out. I live with that every day and will never forgive myself for what I did, even though it was by accident.

I see what some people on here are saying too, though. There has to be some type of balance between cherishing your pet as a beloved member of your family and allowing another person into your life without giving them the boot just because they may never be as close to your pet as you are. As long as they're friendly towards him or her and help feed it occasionally, I think that - for some people - that could be as good as it gets.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This.

I also think the, "My dog reacted poorly to X person I brought home, so I know he/she must have been a bad person" line is bunk.

My dog reacted poorly to my now-toddler when I brought him home from the hospital at 3 days old. Pretty sure my infant wasn't/isn't a bad person.

Animals can be territorial and neurotic. That is all.
lol for real

Old 06-15-2017, 01:16 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
This is how I felt about Cynthia, my beautiful Siamese cat. She was in my life since she was 8 weeks old, and has stuck by my side through some of the trials and tribulations I went through in my life. She also brought me absolute joy by watching and laughing at her silly antics of "attacking" empty plastic Walmart bags and zipping through the apartment as if she was chasing something when nothing was there lol. Cynthia was with me during my worst heartbreak, when my abuelita passed away and whenever I was sad or troubled about something. She would instinctively know whenever I needed love or hugs because she would follow me where ever I sat and would hop onto my lap and nuzzle her cute little face against my neck. I was very lucky to have had her in my life for 4 precious years until she was hit by a car.....I thought the sliding door was closed all the way but it wasn't, and she got out. I live with that every day and will never forgive myself for what I did, even though it was by accident.

I see what some people on here are saying too, though. There has to be some type of balance between cherishing your pet as a beloved member of your family and allowing another person into your life without giving them the boot just because they may never be as close to your pet as you are. As long as they're friendly towards him or her and help feed it occasionally, I think that - for some people - that could be as good as it gets.
I am so sorry to hear about Cynthia.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:21 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
I tend to also not put much faith in a dog's ability to determine someone's character. My pitbull mix looooooves everyone. Worst guard dog ever.

I tend to gravitate towards animal lovers. I definitely wound up with one, probably not by accident.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
No kids, and no dogs..my rules. I love cats (don't have any though) and I don't like people that don't like cats unless it's just due to allergy reasons.

Too many crazy dog women out there and they limit your lifestyle too much.

I'm not going to not take a daytrip just because there's no one to let your dog out every 8 hours.

Kicked to the curb, next.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 06-15-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 01:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Your cat will be dead years before a hypothetical partner, in all likelihood.

Being animal lovers is a big shared trait among my spouse and I. A non-pet person isn't somebody either of us would have been too interested in dating.

That doesn't mean so pets he's bonded to are gonna be ones I am, or vice versa. Or that we like all the same animals. I would never give the seal of approval on getting a cat. My husband would probably be okay with one, if not for our non-cat friendly dogs, but fortunately, it won't happen due to family allergies and us wanting to continue hosting family when they visit.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Placebo

Your relationship with you cat is less complex and much more simple to manage. You're getting from it what you wish to becuase it only requires you give the most basic of care towards to receive attention and affection from it. Likewise, your expectations for your relationship with your cat also has far less expectations attached due to its nature.

I have cats and understand the bond that can be created between you and your animal, but to say a relationship to a cat is similar or runs parody to a relationship with another human being would be disingenuous.

Last edited by rego00123; 06-15-2017 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 01:41 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Whenever I'd bring a woman to my apartment sometimes my pit bull would growl at them. I would always tell her to behave but I realized that my dog was warning me the woman was bad news. I have two dogs now and if you can't bond with or don't like my pets then we aren't compatible.
Funny you mention this. I have heard a few stories where a guy brings some gal home (usually from a bar) and the guys dog - normally a friendly dog, but usually a big enough dog you have to take seriously - just pitches a fit, won't let the gal into the house or apt. Then the guy finds out that the dog saved him from all sorts of STDs.

Just an urban legend as far as I know. Although dogs in particular have an amazing sense of smell, and it might be possible the dog didn't like her scent, due to her "issues".

As for me - love me, love my cats too, or adios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships