Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:28 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,836 times

Advertisements

I knew a guy who seemed like a generous person with his time and money when it came to other people. Then I got to know him better. He's very cheap when it comes to spending money on himself making excuses "I can't afford it" He's a believer in if it's not broke, why replace it. The only tv he has is an old, heavy big box tv from the '90's. It still works although the resolution isn't the greatest. I made suggestions that a flat-screen tv can be bought relatively cheap on sale. The couches are from the '70s passed down from his family and the cushions sink in when sitting on them. He wears clothes until they have holes in them or very worn out. He's a great guy otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 12:34 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
I see no problem with someone of that mindset, I actually admire it in this super materialistic culture.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:37 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Much better than the inverse!

I wouldn't want someone that was taking this to an extreme, but this would not bother me at all.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Sure. I like saving money and this guy is well suited to be a long term relationship.

I might nag him into a shopping trip for some new blue jeans, though. Old blue jeans are fine, even with holes in the knees, but no holes allowed in any other clothing except what he wears to work on his car.

Flat screen TV's are so cheap, I might buy him one as a gift. Although I am not much of a television watcher and maybe he isn't either if he doesn't want a good TV.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I knew a guy who seemed like a generous person with his time and money when it came to other people. Then I got to know him better. He's very cheap when it comes to spending money on himself making excuses "I can't afford it" He's a believer in if it's not broke, why replace it. The only tv he has is an old, heavy big box tv from the '90's. It still works although the resolution isn't the greatest. I made suggestions that a flat-screen tv can be bought relatively cheap on sale. The couches are from the '70s passed down from his family and the cushions sink in when sitting on them. He wears clothes until they have holes in them or very worn out. He's a great guy otherwise.
How is he in spending for your benefit?

Old 06-16-2017, 01:08 PM

153 posts, read 130,127 times
Sure I'd date a guy like this. I'm kind of like this myself. I'm not materialistic at all and do not like to spend money. Some people just value other things beyond material objects. All I really need a TV for is to enjoy watching some of the programming it provides. If an older TV can fulfill that requirement, then so be it.

An example: I have a dishwasher that does not wash dishes very well. I typically end up spot cleaning after they've been through the machine. However, I know I am capable of washing my dishes by hand with not a lot of extra effort and time, so this is what I do. I have not yet felt the need to go out and purchase a new dishwasher as I am satisfied enough with my current situation. Now if I had a husband and children living with me, the value of a good dishwasher (saving time and energy to wash 3x the dishes) would most likely justify the cost of going out and purchasing a new one.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I dated that guy and no, I didn't like it. I think he was spending a lot of me because he wanted to impress me, but that he was fundamentally a cheapskate and that long term, I would have ended up with the cheapskate rules, not the "I'm generously trying to impress you" guy.

And it's not like I'm some gold digger, to me it's more about generosity of spirit, not how much is actually spent. Someone who can't be generous to themselves is either cheap at heart or has other self-esteem issues that could end up being a problem over time.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:20 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,032,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I rarely spend money on myself. I still think I am a pretty good catch. I would not want to be with someone that was materialistic and a spendthrift.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:33 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
I am this way. Rarely spend money for myself but have shelled out thousands for family and random animals. It's a better use of my cash.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:59 PM

617 posts, read 1,201,935 times
I'm that way, but mostly because I'm content with what I have. If I feel I don't need the latest and trendy laptop, iPhone, appliances, clothes, cars, etc, I don't necessarily think it's because I'm cheap. Society would love to have one believe that it's indeed cheapness, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships