Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:36 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times

Advertisements

IMO women are always more social than men. They like to go out more often, try new things, and travel. More men are content staying home watching Netflix or videogames. I think older women definitely have tighter friendships than men the same age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 12:48 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
IMO women are always more social than men. They like to go out more often, try new things, and travel. More men are content staying home watching Netflix or videogames. I think older women definitely have tighter friendships than men the same age.

Women are more social than men, because women tend to need that closeness more than men. Also, women are better at keeping in contact with women/men, than the male counterpart. Where women will console other women, the same doesn't go for men. I know women who don't have interest in consoling a man that just won't get it together, so just imagine how another man views that man's situation.

I've been single most of my life, but I've kept a fairly open social circle, even if just acquaintances. Not everyone is meant to stay in my life forever, so I do have to make an effort to broaden my horizons. There's no doubt my social circle would be bigger if I had children, but I also live in a conservative part of the country that puts a higher value on having children than I do myself.

Last edited by weezerfan84; 01-26-2018 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 10:11 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am not sure if this is a result of social media or what is going on - seems almost all single men I met in the past years age 35-50 do not have a real social life and real friends they talk to, call regularly and hang out just to hang out. I find this rather sad, that they are mostly alone.
Yes! I find the same thing. And I wonder why in the world it IS so common. What socioeconomic or psychosocial conditions created this widespread phenomenon?

Old 01-30-2018, 04:36 AM

818 posts, read 456,507 times
Yeah interesting that stuff.
Mine sitch has reasons though for a start and to finish, l'm not all that much fussed with friends anyway, neither was my ex w.
But when l was married , what few hours l had spare in the end l wanted to spend with my daughter and ex.just wasn't time for friends really anyway.

Since divorce , my wkends were usually with my daughter, only just getting time now as she's 16 and does her own thing mostly lately. Then l move 3 or 4 times since we sold the house.
l also spent 2yrs with someone in this time but because we were about 70% long distance there was a lotta time skyping and messaging and believe me it was a lot more fun than hanging with guys but so again , wasn't really mixing much.

right through this period though have developed a pattern of having a drink with my brother once or twice a wk and also another guy every few wks. Been the first real friend thing l've bothered with in years, but really enjoy it now so l think whatever happens l'm gonna open that door a little in the future from now on.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:45 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am not sure if this is a result of social media or what is going on - seems almost all single men I met in the past years age 35-50 do not have a real social life and real friends they talk to, call regularly and hang out just to hang out. I find this rather sad, that they are mostly alone.
But isn't it also true that in most marriages, the female does most of the socializing and the husband just falls in line with whatever the wife does? If it weren't for the wife, the family wouldn't have much to do with anyone. This is true on the social media too. Keeping up with what everyone is doing is primarily done by the wife. At least this is what I see in my extended family. And really this is no different in that females do more talking on the phone, (before social media)

So now to talk about single men: It's not that far fetched that they have very few friends and are mostly alone. Yes it is sad. There's so much communication being done through social media that single men just give up. And married men need not worry, since the wife is doing it. Just like she did before social media. Remember we are talking about 35-50 here.

But my point is, nothing has really changed. Except that social media has really made the situation worse for single men. Since I'm one of them, I can confirm this reality. Thank God I have 4-5 really good friends, 4-5 really good neighbors, and good relationships at work.

Last edited by Blazin65; 02-05-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships