Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I'm going to have to stick up for 2mares on this one. Personally, I wouldn't start a new relationship with someone on antidepressants, either. If I had a husband, boyfriend, S.O. already, and they came to a point where they needed to take them, that's a completely different issue. But at the outset of a relationship, I'd have to take a polite pass on getting involved.
What point is that? The point of awareness?? So you prefer your men to be untreated? Depression isn't something that just *happens* at this point you describe as when medication becomes necessary. Chances are, the guy was already depresseed and reluctant to admit it. Chances are you failed to acknowledge it. So I guess you prefer the untreated depressed man.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
It sounds like she thought you were funny and asked the phrase, what kind of drugs are you on to get another funny response out of you. She wasn't being serious.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I would not start a relationship with someone I knew was on anti-depressants either. Why? Its been my experience that people on anti-depressants have issues and these relationships are difficult at best, torturous ending in break-up, divorce and mental anguish at worst. Why would anyone want to enter into a relationship with someone with such major mental and emotional problems that they cant cope with themselves and daily life let alone a intimate relationship?
It's nice to be able to pigeonhole people isn't it?

It's a shame that you can't have what you've said here tattooed on your forehead or somewhere else visable so that others can prejudge you and avoid you.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It's nice to be able to pigeonhole people isn't it?

It's a shame that you can't have what you've said here tattooed on your forehead or somewhere else visable so that others can prejudge you and avoid you.
"I can't cope with you not coping"

Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2006 View Post
I am interested in this girl I go to school with and I said something realy funny the other day and one of her friends asked me what kind of drugs I was taking and I say anti-depressents and now she won't have any thing to dop with me
J, I'm sorry. It's a really unfortunate part of life that some people find really silly things to judge others for.
I guess the only good thing to come from this is that at least now you know that she's not a very nice person if she's willing to stop seeing you or being friends with you simply because you are on medication.
Unfortunately one of the things that seems to reoccur in life is that you can't know what not to tell some people until you've told them. Just know that there will be other people that will come into your life that will value you for who you are and maybe save the sharing of personal information for them once you've been able to establish that they are your friend and care about you?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
"I can't cope with you not coping"
It's unfortunate that some people can't. I just wish that they were more easily recognizable.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It's unfortunate that some people can't. I just wish that they were more easily recognizable.
I bet most of these intolerant types could use some meds themselves.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
I bet most of these intolerant types could use some meds themselves.
Quite possibly, it's not really for me to say.
I tend to take people as I find them, warts and all so to speak. Non of us being perfect and all of us being unique. Being on anti depressant medication wouldn't make me bat an eyelid. Plenty of people have to take them to counteract the side effects of other life saving medications, to help with chemical imbalance that isn't going to go away, because of truly hideous situations including grief and loss. As far as I can see, if you're not well then you go to the doctor and you do everything you can to get well. It's no different to medication to help with cancer, chronic illness, heart problems anything really. A thousand times I'd rather be with someone that acknowledges that they are ill or need help and are attempting to get that help than someone that lives in denial pointing the finger at everyone else.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
because of truly hideous situations including grief and loss.
Quote:
I'd rather be with someone that acknowledges that they are ill or need help and are attempting to get that help
So you are saying these are appropriate times to development a new intimate relationship as opposed to waiting until you are better? You truly are a benevolent martyr. And I intolerant and selfish because I feel it would be better to wait until both parties can give themselves 100% to a new relationship unemcumbered by emotional grief and illness.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So you are saying these are appropriate times to development a new intimate relationship as opposed to waiting until you are better? You truly are a benevolent martyr. And I intolerant and selfish because I feel it would be better to wait until both parties can give themselves 100% to a new relationship unemcumbered by emotional grief and illness.
You are just a Smoky Mountain Meany!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships