Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times

Advertisements

Kids having sex seemingly early isn't really all that bad. Hell, such kids are just too cute. It's hardly a real problem. However, what hurts kids far, far, more are the ugly, homely ones who can't so much as get a date. Cruel kids of the opposite sex may refer to them as people they wouldn't want to touch with a 10 ft. pole. More cruel sounding things than that are likely to be said, whether behind their backs or in their faces. The homely kids get their feelings hurt and they end up with low self esteem, and feeling worthless to the world. Compared to how horrible it must feel to be a homely, rejected kid, I don't think parents should mind too much if their teen age kids just happen to have enough sex appeal and charm to have sex with someone.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times
How very, very sad. So many kids are confused, unhappy, and looking for escapes, albeit temporary ones. Everything these days is disposable and little is long-lasting, whether it be consumer goods or relationships.

Our society has taught young girls, in particular, that innocence is undesirable and something to be shed ASAP. I have no idea why! Someone mentioned those Bratz dolls and they are absolutely revolting. It's difficult to find clothing for girls that doesn't seek to emphasize their sexuality and make them look like street-walkers. Parents are so weak-willed, it seems, that the stuff actually sells!

Early sexual experience is one of the risk factors for female cancers; the risk of STDs is astronomical, too. When these girls finally settle down and want to have families in the future, many of them find they won't be able to conceive at all or without expensive assistance. How sad!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,168,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Maybe if parents were watching their kids a little more we wouldn't have this problem. How is it that kids can have sex at all? When we were kids our mom was home and I ended up staying a virgin untill I married my wife. Now she is home and I hope the same for our 6 kids. Why is it that kids need to give up something so important to someone else that chances are will never respect them the next day.
They have sex because they can. It isn't a difficult concept.

For the record, trying to monitor everything you children do turns them away from you and you lose their trust and respect. I can understand teaching them that it can be dangerous if you are promiscuous or just sleep with anybody. It's also ok to teach them the dangers of STD's, but trying to monitor everything they do just so they won't have sex is ridiculous. There are ways around parent's eyes. When I was younger, I was never allowed to go anywhere, yet, I lost my virginity at an early age. All the monitoring in the world does nothing to a kid who is determined to have an experience.

Abstinence is harmful. Just ask altar boys.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:22 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
Well, speaking from my own high school experience, a lot of kids were having sex, both with each other, with kids from other high schools, or with older men (which was somewhat more disturbing). I was one of those who decided not to "wait" for marriage. In fact, it wasn't ever a question, although I was raised "with religion." My decision was, I would go ahead and take it as soon as I could find it, which turned out to be sophomore year of high school (age 15).

However, neither myself nor any of my close friends ever knocked a girl up. We were sane enough to use protective measures against that. The girls who got knocked up (and the guys who purportedly knocked them up) tended to be from the... dumber... end of the intelligence scale. Either that, or so extremely religious that sex must have been a huge taboo mystery until it happened for the first time. Which I suppose is stupidity (or perhaps ignorance) in another guise.

Realistically, it takes too much self-control for a lot of kids to "wait." They can dutifully "wait" for a while then find themselves in a tempting situation that is just too opportune to turn down. At that point, regardless of what they had planned to do, they ought to know how to manage what they get themselves into without becoming diseased or pregnant.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Risk of STDs and pregnancy aside (I guess if adequate protection is used then those aren't issues) it's hard for me to believe that a thirteen-year-old having sex is emotionally mature enough for it. It's so hard for me to believe that people don't wind up psychologically scarred, and an early experience doesn't affect their behavior later on. Am I making too big a deal out of it?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
I guess it would depend what you mean by "scarred."

Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I am brainwashing my daughter into believing to wait for sex until marriage, not for religious reasons, we are not religious, but because most girls (and maybe guys) seem to regret and even become heart broken from their first sexual experience.

yes it has been on CNN the past couple days that 1 out of 4 teens has had a STD. But they don't mention exactly which age that is, so it may be by age 18. Either way 25% of teens having STDs is very sad and dangerous.

Ages 14 to 19.

The two most common sexually transmitted diseases, or S.T.D.’s, among all the participants tested were HPV, at 18 percent, and chlamydia, at 4 percent.

HPV can lead to cancer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/sc...td.html?ref=us

Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
We are living a lot longner than we used to. 1000 years ago, we were dead by 40 marrying at 12 and 13, kids by 14 was nothing strange. Puberty beginns at 12 or 13, and the body's hormones are telling kids to 'go forth and multiply'. Very tough to fight the hormones....

Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,117 times
I don't see why the statistic of average of first intercourse is surprising?

If you have a teenager who you let attend wild parties, who come home to an empty house after school, who are in a relationships and go the "movies" every weekend, this kind of stuff happens.

People need to stop preaching abstinence to teenagers. They ultimately decide when they feel it's the right time to have sex, and there's really no stopping it. Once they start, they're not going to stop.

It's best to educate your kinds on contraceptives, so they don't catch many of the diseases the are out here today.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
In Holland the legal age for drinking liquor is 16, but many parents allow their kids to sip alcohol at the early age of 11 (sometimes even earlier). I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that under these circumstances the age that our children have sex should also be around 11.
I mean adults often get drunk in order to overcome their shyness and many drunk adults often don’t mind having sex with ‘strangers’ or people they normally would not have sex with, so I don’t see why this would be any different for children who get drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.