Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:04 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So City-Data member LAFan has major issues if he is a black man who only wants to date white women?

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...hard-work.html
No, I specifically said people who will not date their own. I date interracially myself but I have NO problems dating brothers. None. I personally date more brothers than anything but I have been known to date outside my race.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
No, I specifically said people who will not date their own. I date interracially myself but I have NO problems dating brothers. None. I personally date more brothers than anything but I have been known to date outside my race.
Good for you. You are the type of person who I would prefer to be neighbors with.

I really find it sad that some people live in cocoons, judging other races based on what they read, TV programs, or website articles. It really is quite pathetic. Kudos to you for being so enlightened and open-minded. I seek out people like you, avoid the others.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:38 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Soju,

You have a right to your opinion. But can we lay off with the stereotypes? How can you say MOST black men............? I think you have an issue with Black men, which is fine if you do, but do take YOUR issues with black men and slander us with your stereotypes. Can we agree on that?
There are 40 millions blacks in America and you have done research and arrived at the conclusion that MOST black men avoid responsability?
I'd like to know how you came up with MOST. Can you explain? With concrete info, not what you think based on your limited life experiences.
Are you denying that most black kids don't have father figures in America?? Most I've known or have come acrossed came from broken homes. If I remember correctly couple years back reading an article in Time or Newsweek magazine. Its stated during the '60's most black children grew up with both fathers and mothers but current stats show most don't have fathers involved.
Don't you think that contributes to their low self esteem and lack of social conscience ness?
That's what I call skirting your responsiblities.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Are you denying that most black kids don't have father figures in America?? Most I've known or have come acrossed came from broken homes. If I remember correctly couple years back reading an article in Time or Newsweek magazine. Its stated during the '60's most black children grew up with both fathers and mothers but current stats show most don't have fathers involved.
Don't you think that contributes to their low self esteem and lack of social conscience ness?
That's what I call skirting your responsiblities.
You mean most don't have fathers living at home? Is that what the current stats are referring to? This has nothing to do with if they have father figures or not.

I only lived with my dad 3 years out of my life, but he was still involved. I also have black friends who had a black stepfather at home. Is that included in the stats?

Old 03-16-2008, 08:40 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
You mean most don't have fathers living at home? Is that what the current stats are referring to? This has nothing to do with if they have father figures or not.

I only lived with my dad 3 years out of my life, but he was still involved. I also have black friends who had a black stepfather at home. Is that included in the stats?
So does BET channel only appeal to poor blacks? Because this article implies that their Father's Day greeting event was primarily full of complaints by their audience against their absentee dads.

Quote:
In 2001, BET.com encouraged visitors to post Father's Day greetings. Organizers assumed that they would see a Hallmark fest of "I love you" or "I miss you." Instead they got a "venting session": "I hate you," "To all my deadbeat dads out there, I just want to say, thanks for nothing," and "That bastard forgot that I even existed," contributors railed.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
From the African American Male Leadership Institute website:

initiative-Fatherhood
Quote:
Of all black babies born in 1996, approximately 70% were born to unmarried mothers. A black child spends almost 60% of their childhood without their fathers

Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,088 times
Ok, since you're posting articles, I'll post some as well:

Some of the fathers on Illinois’ Department of Healthcare and Family Services’ “Wanted” list got there in the following manner—the wife or girlfriend ended the relationship, left with the kids, and then went to the state to get public assistance. Illinois DHFS then went after the father for child support to repay the cost of the assistance. The father--against whom no wrongdoing has been charged—has been deprived of custody of his kids against his will, may not even have visitation rights, and might not even know where his kids are.

Sometimes a father in this situation has been paying the mother directly, but is nevertheless saddled with arrearages and declared a “deadbeat.” When he presents his stack of cancelled checks, the state says, “Sorry, that money you paid the mother is a gift---you still owe us child support to reimburse the cost of the public assistance.”

But many times I see references to fathers who "abandoned" their kids when, upon closer inspection, it is very unclear that such "abandonment" occurred. This is particularly common when dealing with African-American fathers.

My point is this, we are in the age of the internet and we can find always find something that will "agree" with us. After reading your link I did some quick research of my own and found that that many Black men are being labeled as "deadbeats" unfairly. Actually, that's men across the board. This isn't specifically a black male problem. I also just read that the number of 2 parent Black households have been rising significantly over the last decade or so. But what does all of this prove? Absolutely nothing, all it says is that when you meet someone you can't assume they will have a certain behavior based on the color of their skin. We could find articles on the net all day long to prove our points, but why? People will always believe what they want.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 PM

250 posts, read 937,265 times
Yet another race threat that has run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships