Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's my passion for history, but I enjoy reminiscing about the past at times, and this extends to my marriage.

I often flip through albums that contain pictures my wife and I took together when we first hooked up. (We've been together 12.5 years.) Just yesterday, I was sifting through messages my wife and I sent each other through MySpace back in the day. I try to do it when I'm next to her so we can reminisce together, but she's usually not very responsive.

It's always struck me as odd that my wife doesn't seem to take as much interest in the good old times. She hardly ever takes the initiative to grab the album or mention anything having to do with the beginning of the relationship.

She insists, though, that she reminisces sometimes by looking at picture albums saved on her Facebook page. She claims to do this on her own time -- without feeling the need to "announce" it.

She says that just because she doesn't broadcast it or call a gathering to look at pictures together doesn't mean she doesn't cherish those memories.

I know that partners show their love in different ways, but is it normal for one partner to be more openly nostalgic than the other? Is this the case in your relationship-- or any other you've witnessed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 06:28 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Wondering if perhaps your nostalgia make her feel as though the current status of your relationship is lacking? Look how in love we USED to be?
People enjoy their memories, but constantly bringing it up might make it seem as though you are stuck in the past and not as happy with the the way things currently are, especially if you are always focusing on the beginning of the relationship instead of reminiscing about all the different memories that have occurred over the span of years.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Wondering if perhaps your nostalgia make her feel as though the current status of your relationship is lacking? Look how in love we USED to be?
People enjoy their memories, but constantly bringing it up might make it seem as though you are stuck in the past and not as happy with the the way things currently are, especially if you are always focusing on the beginning of the relationship instead of reminiscing about all the different memories that have occurred over the span of years.
I wouldn't say I constantly bring it up -- maybe once or twice every three or so months.

I do focus more on the very beginning because it was a really special time in our lives.

We first met in the 6th grade. Even though we remained in the same schools for grades 6-12, we didn't reconnect and hook up until 2005, when both of us were in college and she happened to reach out via MySpace. We lost our virginity to one another that year. It's a special story I hold near and dear to my heart.

What I think it boils down to is her not liking to draw attention to herself. She says that even at work she hates announcing her contributions/accomplishments.

I guess I always figured it's what a married couple should do -- reminisce about old times together, not just individually -- but maybe that just isn't how everyone thinks.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 AM

437 posts, read 335,978 times
Totally normal. Esp. If shes always been that way since u have known her.

While i can enjoy being nostalgic. I dont do it often, thats just the way i am. And the way some people are.

In my life its always been the females in my life that have been more nostalgic than the males.
Thats where your story seems different to me.

Last edited by Hayden87; 09-26-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
OP, did you clearly explain all of the required expectations you have of your wife to your wife?
Also, if you are looking in the past so often there is an issue with your present that needs to be worked on.
Put more energy into your present and future and leave the past behind.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:38 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I guess I always figured it's what a married couple should do -- reminisce about old times together, not just individually -- but maybe that just isn't how everyone thinks.
The bolded is what you need to keep in mind.

My husband and I rarely reminisce about our early years. On occasion, we'll bring up something we did or that happened to us but it's usually when something specific triggers that memory. However, we never just sit and look through old photos together and play "Remember when".

Old 09-26-2017, 07:46 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
You're a little young for the reminiscing part of a marriage. Your whole future is in front of you. By when you were in college I am guessing you are in your early 30's. Wait about 35 more years and then get out the albums.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,460 times
I don't believe either of us is what I'd call nostalgic. Occasionally it's nice to look at old photos and reminisce but it doesn't really serve a purpose to dwell on the past. I don't think this means she's any less committed to your relationship. You need to focus on the now and stop wallowing in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships