Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 3,503 times

Advertisements

hi guys,

so ive been really confused for really long now. I dated my girlfriend for 6 months and it was the best time ever. she was perfect.

but after 6 months she revealed to me that she is a carrier of the hepatitis b virus (inactive carrier). over the 6 months we had loads of sex but she said she did not need to tell me before hand as she is not infectious in the carrier state (she just needs to monitor it with a yearly test for the rest of her life to make sure its under control).

now i am confused about her intentions..

she had sex with me (says she lost her virginity to me) and she never even asked if i am vaccinated to Hep B.

planned a weekend hotel trip for the 2 of us

said we were soul mates and constantly texted and showered me with love

wanted me to tell me parents about her

2 months into our relationship she went for her yearly hep b test but told me she was going for her general health check ups

she acted like the most amazing person ever and like my ideal girlfriend..

but now i do not know her intentions..is it because she was yet to reveal her hepatitis b carrier status to me? is it because she wanted to blind me with love when in reality she may be a totally different person? what are your opinions and would you stick with her or leave her?

when she revealed her hep b and i asked her what it is she told me its an extra cell in her body which isnt exactly true..

when i questioned her as to why she didnt tell me earlier she said:

its a very small thing

she cant go around telling everyone very early on

she said had told me all about the important issues such as her back pain and her hep b carrier state is not a big issue

then she told me i was making a small issue very big and she said that because of my ego i cant get over it and that i am unforgiving..

what do you think? and what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Have you been tested??!!

Old 10-07-2017, 11:57 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
She said you were her first bf, but that she "can't go around telling everybody about" the Hep B? If you're her first, what "everybody" is there to tell?

OTOH, if she was a great person you got along with, why doubt that she was somehow faking a great personality the entire time? So, did you two break up because of the Hep B thing? Who broke up with whom?

I've never heard of being a non-contagious carrier of Hep B, so I'm not qualified to comment on that part. Have you asked a doctor?

Old 10-07-2017, 12:19 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Have you been tested??!!
And did you wear condoms?

If you were her first partner, she might be so inexperienced and self-conscious that she doesn't realize that disclosing this kind of health information is normal and important and necessary. That needs to change.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-07-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-07-2017, 12:27 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It's my understanding that there is a vaccine to prevent Hep B. So, get yourself tested and vaccinated. Beyond that, I don't see much of an issue.

Her doctor told her she is not contagious, so I think your grievance is with her doctor who ill-advised her to not disclose.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:32 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Millions of people in the US have it and don't even know they do. No symptoms ever. Obviously, that doesn't mean it's fine for her to go spreading it around. It's very contagious and condoms don't provide protection from it.

Go get yourself tested. If she's a great match for you and you stay with her, it's likely you'll end up getting it if you don't have it already anyway. Her "dishonesty" in not revealing it? She might not understand it herself and didn't think it was something she needed to share. People are woefully ignorant about things, sometimes. If it was devious, then she's not very nice and you should leave.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
She should have told you. It wasn't up to her to decide if she was contagious or not. It was up to you to decide 1) if you wanted to even risk being with someone with HepB and 2) your risk tolerance, precautions, etc. She played doctor with YOUR health. She took what should have been your decision away from you.

I don't know what her reasons were, but they didn't come from a place of concern for you or your health.

How can you build a relationship with someone based on a lie? I'd let her go. I'd also get tested/vaccinated.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:02 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Millions of people in the US have it and don't even know they do. No symptoms ever. Obviously, that doesn't mean it's fine for her to go spreading it around. It's very contagious and condoms don't provide protection from it.

Go get yourself tested. If she's a great match for you and you stay with her, it's likely you'll end up getting it if you don't have it already anyway. Her "dishonesty" in not revealing it? She might not understand it herself and didn't think it was something she needed to share. People are woefully ignorant about things, sometimes. If it was devious, then she's not very nice and you should leave.
This is a possibility. It's possible her doctor told her she's not contagious when she's not ill with it. I wouldn't assume the worst, OP. She may not have intentionally deceived you.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 3,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Have you been tested??!!
yes and i am not infected (luckily i was also vaccinated at birth but she never asked about that).. she kept claiming that she isn't infectious so she never put me at risk..what do you think?

Old 10-07-2017, 03:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Common courtesy calls upon people who have contagious diseases to disclose that to a sex partner BEFORE having sex with them.

You've already been given some good advice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships