Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 4,077 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is going to be a long post but I appreciate all comments!

I am a boy, 18 years old and I have been with the same girl for over 3,5 years now. Both our first relationship. Together we went through a lot of rough times, including her cheating with another boy.

And I feel this is still a, or maybe even the main problem in our relationship. She cheated on me 1,5 year ago and we decided to work on it, move on and now we’re still together. So this worked, but ever since she cheated on me she always has a weird feeling when being around other boys, she doesn’t feel comfortable. She always has a feeling that if someone sees her with a normal boy, she is caught or something. So with other words, she can’t get over her own fault.

A few days ago I made a stupid joke about her cheating with this dude and this really got her upset. Don’t get me wrong, I never think about the accident and I completely trust her now so I can joke about it for my feeling, but because I made this joke she thinks I don’t trust her and now she thinks it’s just not working out because I still think about the accident of 1,5 years ago.

This morning she texted me and she is thinking to break up with me because she has a feeling the relationship isn’t working out and that we can’t get over the cheating incident.

Tonight she is coming over to talk with me and she most likely wants to break up with me because it’s not working out..

And 1 last thing.. I got a dilemma. I really love her and I don’t want to break up with her because I don’t know where I would be without her but maybe it’s also a good thing because she had a really rough youth, and because of that she never learned how to openly speak about her problems and feelings, so she always hides how she truly feels and whenever it’s too much she spits it all out and then she wants to break up. She doesn’t talk about her feelings, only when it’s (almost) too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Don't be afraid of her breaking up.

Just because you love her doesn't mean you are meant to be in a relationship with her.

You are VERY young, and you have a lot of people to meet in your lifetime. Let this one go so you can do that.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:20 AM

7 posts, read 4,077 times
But I really love her and we can have so much fun together, it feels like we’re made for each other despite being 18 years old. The only problem for me is that she doesn’t talk much about her feelings and a relationship with no communication is not good, and her problem is that she cheated, she things the relationship can’t work after that mistake.. We have times when there is no problem and we have a really good time but there are also these times..

Old 10-09-2017, 07:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan10 View Post

The only problem for me is that she doesn’t talk much about her feelings and a relationship with no communication is not good, and her problem is that she cheated, she things the relationship can’t work after that mistake..
These ^^ are huge foundational issues that doom this relationship from the start.

I know it's hard to think about letting go, but it sounds like it's necessary. You may end up dating again when you are older and have learned more about love, emotional boundaries, and honesty.

Right now you need to separate so you can continue that maturing and learning process.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:41 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Relationships can work after a cheating episode but it takes very mature people for that to happen.

Check it out man. You're 18. She's 18. If she wants to break up with you then tell her you're good with it. Let her go do her thing you do yours. Don't try to chase her. Hey I remember my first break up. I was devastated and I thought the world is ending. Then I met another girl, and then another girl and another. Then I realized that the second girl I met wasn't as good as the first , better than the third but none were anywhere near as good as the fourth one. The fifth one pretty much made me forget about the first four.

I know right now that it seems your world is ending. Trust me it's nowhere near that. While it's tough to break up, my suggestion is to be cool. let her say her piece as to why and then tell her that it's good she's talking about her feelings and needs. Don't try the I'll be there waiting for you forever, or if you leave I'll die inside. You're not doing either of those things. If anything you'll grow mentally and move on. If anything let her go and do her thing and you do yours. Dude there are hundreds of girls out there all looking for a guy. You don't need a gf.

Good luck

Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I agree with the above.

**hugs**

Old 10-09-2017, 09:13 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Electrician4you is right.

First breaks ups/loves are always hard but things do get better. Every relationship is a learning process. They help you grow and learn about what you like in another person. In the end you will be better suited for the person who is truly right for you.

You will be fine.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
And I feel this is still a, or maybe even the main problem in our relationship. She cheated on me 1,5 year ago and we decided to work on it, move on and now we’re still together. So this worked, but ever since she cheated on me she always has a weird feeling when being around other boys, she doesn’t feel comfortable. She always has a feeling that if someone sees her with a normal boy, she is caught or something. So with other words, she can’t get over her own fault.

A few days ago I made a stupid joke about her cheating with this dude and this really got her upset
. Don’t get me wrong, I never think about the accident and I completely trust her now so I can joke about it for my feeling, but because I made this joke she thinks I don’t trust her and now she thinks it’s just not working out because I still think about the accident of 1,5 years ago.

So...knowing that she feels HORRIBLY guilty about what happened, you put the cheating back in her face. IMO, it's little wonder that she doesn't communicate with you. It sounds like you use her words against her, and you HAVEN'T really gotten over it or moved on.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:39 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I know it feels like she is a big % of your world, but for your sake, break up, and move on.

You'll be better for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships