Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 02:14 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,031,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Right before I left the States for France I asked a guy if he wanted to join me for lunch on Catalina Island. I rented a plane and flew us there....and I did it all on my dime! Next question?
Rented a plane just for a first date? Riiiiiiight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 05:06 AM

38 posts, read 19,286 times
Quote:
Right before I left the States for France I asked a guy if he wanted to join me for lunch on Catalina Island. I rented a plane and flew us there....and I did it all on my dime! Next question?
Sounds impressive. Did you use a sea plane tour company? Except helicopters, after all, everything else is cheaper. Christ, as someone with a license to fly planes myself, I know pilots that'll take someone over round trip for $50 and/or a case of beer given the airport's starting landing fees $35.

Absolutely no offense but it's not wise to toot one's own horn/be a blowhard, least of all on a public forum, as you'll never know when someone may call you out on it.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:11 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,858,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Approach is one thing. Then ask us on a date. Last time you did that?
You have to be kidding. Women ask guys out all of the time! It may not be phrased as: “Would you like to go on a date?” It’s more like: “I’m sorry your family’s out of town this week. I like to eat out on Thanksgiving, do you want to find a buffet somewhere?” I just did that last night. Big effing deal!

Old 11-25-2019, 08:13 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,858,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
She’s also a pilot...why is this so hard to believe? I suppose it’s the “asking a guy out” that was the real mind blower.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:17 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,343,549 times
Quote:
No real need... there are still a lot of MEN out there who aren’t afraid to ask me out on a date. That being said... I wouldn’t have an issue approaching a man that I found attractive either.
So all the males who might want to ask you out but don't are not MEN? That's a lovely but tidy way to categorize people.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:21 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,712,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You have to be kidding. Women ask guys out all of the time! It may not be phrased as: “Would you like to go in a date?” It’s more like: “I’m sorry your family’s out of town this week. I like to eat out on Thanksgiving, do you want to find a buffet somewhere?” I just did that last night. Big effing deal!
Some of guys on this forum will ALWAYS find something to complain about or call out. What they don't think about or refuse to acknowledge, is that a lot of these societal standards (men asking women out, paying for everything, being PROVIDERS, etc.) were set in place by MEN themselves. Women didn't start it. A long time ago a lot of us just obliged because we HAD to. These standards were set up by PATRIARCHY. If we indulge we're lazy gold diggers, if we try to be equal, and give guys a "break" we're too independent/masculine. Never mind we carry/care for their children (which is a very long, painful, and stressful process) You can't win with some guys on here. Do I think their are some toxic feminists out there? Hell yes. Do they represent the movement as a whole? No. Sensible people know this.

Quote:
She’s also a pilot...why is this so hard to believe? I suppose it’s the “asking a guy out” that was the real mind blower.
Like I said...we can't win.

Last edited by Auraliea; 11-25-2019 at 08:40 AM..

Old 11-25-2019, 12:25 PM

599 posts, read 262,766 times
The most frustrating thing about dating/being committed is the compromise you have to make on basically everything. I have been ina long term marriage, fell in love a couple of times and now find myself perfectly fine with being single. I honestly don't know if I want to deal with someone elses **** all the time on a daily basis. Peace baby!

Old 11-25-2019, 12:50 PM

315 posts, read 169,350 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Quote:
Because its not socially calibrated. For first dates, it tends to be stuff like going out to dinner and/or a comedy club. Flying someone to Catalina or just anywhere seems way over the top for a first date. Spending too much money too early puts a lot of unnecessary expectations on a new relationship, which is why this story seems fishy.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:55 PM

20,735 posts, read 19,939,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Great. Start asking us on dates then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Been happening for decades
yep, I have been asking out a ton of guys. Sorry, it hasn't been you, James, but I other guys.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:05 PM

315 posts, read 169,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yep, I have been asking out a ton of guys. Sorry, it hasn't been you, James, but I other guys.
I hope this doesn't come across as flippant because its not intended as such. How does that actually work out for you in practice? Because when I have talked to female friends they tend to say the reason they don't ask guys out is that guys respond to such an offer as an opportunity to solicit sex.

So how do you get around that problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships