Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:28 AM

631 posts, read 398,722 times

Advertisements

My ex husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 09:41 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
I've never known anyone who's told me that they were asexual and I don't feel like the term accurately describes me even though I don't feel a need for sexual contact with another person. I still experience attraction to people, respond to sexual stimuli, and I like having orgasms (by myself).

Old 10-23-2017, 09:44 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Really? Women have been faking it and going through the motions and having headaches for millennia. And there are some guys who are similar - they just never initiate.
Why be in a romantic intimate relatioship if you're not into any type of sexual act (kissing, foreplay, etc) ??

So, women that been "faking it" for millennia are doing it for what purpose? boredom? sht&giggles? financial gain?

Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Marilyn Monroe had gynecological problems that made it painful for her to have sex. I could imagine if I were a female and have this that it could be confusing between being asexual and just not enjoying sex.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,366,656 times
Yes, quite a few, actually. A couple are married, and a few were married or in LTR.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Why be in a romantic intimate relatioship if you're not into any type of sexual act (kissing, foreplay, etc) ??
They probably get all the intimacy they need from companionship and non-sexual affection. Sex is a non-entity to them, so your question is like asking, "how can you enjoy your vacation if you don't go hang gliding?" You're a highly sexual person, HC, so this is probably difficult for you to understand.

Quote:
So, women that been "faking it" for millennia are doing it for what purpose? boredom? sht&giggles? financial gain?
Because they're expected to.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Because they're expected to, because that's what people are supposed to do in relationships, because they wanted or were expected to have biological children.

It's not that uncommon. It can take many asexuals time to realize or come to terms with their asexuality due to feeling abnormal or different from their peers or others. Just like I've known gay and lesbian people who were in hetero relationships and marriages and even had kids. Many had a feeling they were gay, but ignored or suppressed it for a multitude of reasons, one of them being religious upbringing. So, they fake it, go through the motions, etc.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They probably get all the intimacy they need from companionship and non-sexual affection. Sex is a non-entity to them, like asking, "how can you enjoy your vacation if you don't go hang gliding?" You're a highly sexual person, HC, so this is probably difficult for you to understand.

Right. Hang gliding likely wouldn't be on my radar of things to do on vacation, if it were even an option. But I can do enjoy the vacation.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:07 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They probably get all the intimacy they need from companionship and non-sexual affection. Sex is a non-entity to them, like asking, "how can you enjoy your vacation if you don't go hang gliding?" You're a highly sexual person, HC, so this is probably difficult for you to understand.

I am highly sexual (I took that under consideration) and trying to use common sense when making my comment.

I still dont fully understand why get romantically involved with someone who isn't asuxual, when you can just have platonic/same gender friends (or a pet) to have companionship with?

I guess, the point I'm trying to make is that someone who claims to be asuxual then gets into a romantic relationship with someone (like me) isn't 100% asexual.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I am highly sexual (I took that under consideration) and trying to use common sense when making my comment.

I still dont fully understand why get romantically involved with someone who isn't asuxual, when you can just have platonic/same gender friends (or a pet) to have companionship with?

I guess, the point I'm trying to make is that someone who claims to be asuxual then gets into a romantic relationship with someone (like me) isn't 100% asexual.
Oftentimes they don't know they're asexual until after they've in conventional relationships. They may assume they have a low sex drive, have hormonal issues, are stressed out, dealing with depression, etc. So it's not like asexuals knowingly seek out relationships with non-asexuals when more times than not they don't realize they're asexual (vs. the other reasons) until later in life, often after going through therapy/counseling and introspection/soul-searching sparked by relationship challenges (sexless or infrequent sex during a LTR or marriage or physical intimacy issues).

I do have a friend that was married for a number of years and currently enjoys a companionship/relationship with someone who is also asexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships