Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 09:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Haven't read the whole thread, so maybe I'm repeating something, I don't know.

But hey - news flash - some people have moral beliefs that include believing that sex should be reserved for marriage - and they want that level of intimacy with another person so marriage is the logical moral framework within their belief system.

When two people with the same belief system find spiritual joy and satisfaction within marriage, as well as sexual intimacy that lines up with their moral beliefs, then who's to say that's unnecessary for them?

Like someone else said early on, if you don't want to get married, don't get married. But don't assume that your belief system is the only valid one out there. If you don't want to be judged for NOT getting married, don't judge others for getting married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:07 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Of course. Who would want a marriage like that?
The dread of ending up that way puts me off any sort of marriage at all, and the bits leading up to it.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:33 PM

276 posts, read 178,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Dude, if you don't want to get married, don't get married. Why even start a thread?

I'm pretty sure there was no answer to your question that would make you change your mind.

What's your point?
It's supposed to be a free country with free speech. If we want to re debate a thousands of year old debate here we should be able to without mods censoring us. If you don't like it then maybe you should not participate. No offense but just because you are a mod does not make your argument more valid than mine or anyone elses here.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
The dread of ending up that way puts me off any sort of marriage at all, and the bits leading up to it.
Then dont get married. Problem solved.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
We don't know what the future holds.

A lot of men who refuse to marry, may wind up getting sick or disabled when they get older, and wish they had a spouse to take care of them. Or they might lose all their money and wish they had a second income (spouse) to fall back on. Things might not always be so great for the single man. And try getting good jobs when you are past age 45. It gets harder.

My single friends and I, in our 20s, would get hit on all the time by 50+ year old guys. We weren't interested.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Then dont get married. Problem solved.
The thread topic is if there is still a reason for a man to marry. Regular sex and sharing chores have nothing to do with a marriage CONTRACT.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
It's supposed to be a free country with free speech. If we want to re debate a thousands of year old debate here we should be able to without mods censoring us. If you don't like it then maybe you should not participate. No offense but just because you are a mod does not make your argument more valid than mine or anyone elses here.

No one is censoring you, and I have just as much right to that free speech as you.

For most of my life I didn't want to get married. I made no threads about it, read no articles, and didn't need to put down the opposite gender to justify it.

It was a personal decision, just as it was a personal decision when I decided to marry.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-26-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We don't know what the future holds.

A lot of men who refuse to marry, may wind up getting sick or disabled when they get older, and wish they had a spouse to take care of them. Or they might lose all their money and wish they had a second income (spouse) to fall back on. Things might not always be so great for the single man. And try getting good jobs when you are past age 45. It gets harder.

My single friends and I, in our 20s, would get hit on all the time by 50+ year old guys. We weren't interested.
That's all a chance, there is no court that will force a wife to work or take care of her ill husband or taking half and splitting.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No one is censoring you, and I have just as much right to that free speech as you.

For most of my life I didn't want to get married. I made no threads about it, read no articles, and didn't need to put down the opposite gender to justify it.

It was a personal decision, just as it was a personal decision when I decided to marry.
You do unfairly censor posts if you don't agree with them. I'm actually surprised this thread isn't closed now tbh. I shouldn't have to come on here and explain to the mods why I want to start a thread about marriage on the relationship board.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
That's all a chance, there is no court that will force a wife to work or take care of her ill husband or taking half and splitting.
Yes, but there's also a chance that a wife will take care of her husband. Lots of people take care of their old, infirm or ailing spouses. I see it every day. If you're not married, there is zero chance a spouse will take care of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships