Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 06:19 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Dating = spending time with romantic or potential romantic partners doing things together and having fun.

Sounds horrible.
Dating = spending time with someone you can “potentially” have a lot of fun with.

Again, this one way or nothing approach doesn’t work out very well when you introduce real world variables in to the mix.

Dating can be loads of fun or loads of pain with the right or wrong people involved. for some people with more introverted sensibilities it can already be a huge undertaking just to talk themselves in to dealing with the stress of putting themselves out in to the dating ether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 06:20 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Dating = spending time with someone you can “potentially” have a lot of fun with.

Again, this one way or nothing approach doesn’t work out very well when you introduce real world variables in to the mix.

Dating can be loads of fun or loads of pain with the right or wrong people. for some people with more introverted sensibilities it can already be a huge undertaking just to talk themselves in to dealing with the stress of putting themselves out in to the dating ether.
Agreed. To make a vast broad statement saying essentially that it's great seems to be in error if you ask me.

Variables my friend, always variables.

Last edited by Chowhound; 10-29-2017 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 06:25 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
A friend of mine likes to say that dating is for people who like looking. They don't necessarily know what to do when they find someone.

I can't imagine looking, let alone enjoying the process, so I swiftly change the subject whenever it comes up.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
To be fair, both parties can suffer the bolded at the same time.

Being married doesn't necessarily "spare" people from those burdens. It can increase your chances yes, but it's not definite.
Exactly.

As I've said before, there are LOTS of very lonely married people. I was one of them. I won't lie: I CAN feel alone at times as a single woman (and I would very much like to find a man I could develop a good relationship with), but, without a doubt, I'm far less lonely and more optimistic being single than I was married.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:23 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
I don't think anyone here is saying marriage is necessarily a bad thing. Realistically, it sounds great when you think about it, but it just doesn't always work out. To just try and make it seem like its the best thing and force it is horrible. I'm so glad my parents got divorced, if they stayed married it would have been the worse relationship possible.

Again, I just don't a certificate from the government means people are supposed to be together for life. We just don't know, it is a difficult choice and people change. Leaving the emotions out, marriage really only favors the one with less assets. If you think about, marriage back in the medieval ages was to stop countries from going to war. Then it became to protect a man's money (basically women were property and had no rights). Now the big diamond ring (pushed by the DeBeers after World War II) and not every women expects a ring and a big marriage.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
'Happily ever after' with someone else in your face and space every day the Lord sends, a mountain of debt, a mortgage, kids and a family full of potential nutbags you never anticipated becoming a part of sounds pretty mundane to me, sir. Why complicate things unnecessarily?
Kids are a choice; plenty of couples choose not to have them. Same with a mortgage; buying a house is something many people want to do; they don't see it as a bad thing. It gets them out of having to deal with landlords, and in the end, they have a valuable asset. If you don't want to buy a house, you don't have to. Nor do you have to inflict your family of nutbags on someone else if you don't want to. But some spousal families are welcoming and wonderful, or at least, stay thoughtfully out of the way.

Marriage is an option, not a requirement. So is a mortgage. So are kids. No one's holding a gun to your head. Why are you posting in a relationships forum, if you're not interested? That's an odd choice to spend your free time on.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:37 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

Dating can be loads of fun or loads of pain with the right or wrong people involved. for some people with more introverted sensibilities it can already be a huge undertaking just to talk themselves in to dealing with the stress of putting themselves out in to the dating ether.

Potentially? Nonsense. Unless someone is desperate, or clueless, they won't be dating someone they aren't enjoying spending time with.

If its a pain, etc, don't keep going out with them. This is common sense, this is natural. If spending time with someone isn't fun, don't do it. Criminy. Why are people talking themselves into doing something they don't enjoy.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:42 PM

691 posts, read 419,993 times
Quote:
Potentially? Nonsense. Unless someone is desperate, or clueless, they won't be dating someone they aren't enjoying spending time with.

If its a pain, etc, don't keep going out with them. This is common sense, this is natural. If spending time with someone isn't fun, don't do it. Criminy. Why are people talking themselves into doing something they don't enjoy.
yea i think he meant sex had them "quotations"

Old 10-29-2017, 08:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

Because generally speaking, you have to go on a date or two with each person to find out whether or not it's a "fit" and that is stressful. It's not nearly as fun and exciting as some people seem to think it is. It's stressful most of the time. At least that was my experience and my husband's. We both hated dating, and we were very "date able" and had lots of dates. Should have been living the life of Reiley, right? (Whatever that means.) It was a bunch of stress.

Like the old saying goes, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince (or princess). Kissing frogs sucks.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:22 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Because generally speaking, you have to go on a date or two with each person to find out whether or not it's a "fit" and that is stressful. It's not nearly as fun and exciting as some people seem to think it is. It's stressful most of the time. At least that was my experience and my husband's. We both hated dating, and we were very "date able" and had lots of dates. Should have been living the life of Reiley, right? (Whatever that means.) It was a bunch of stress.

Like the old saying goes, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince (or princess). Kissing frogs sucks.
Agreed, your experience is that of people who live on this planet. LOL. Most people find dating to be stressful to some degree. To say otherwise isn't really in touch with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships