Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 05:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
We could try chatting about reasons why men should marry
Or we could just decide it's up to each individual person what they want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 06:00 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Or we could just decide it's up to each individual person what they want to do.
Yep, never said it wasn't. Just trying to get back to the title. Instead of the usual agenda, I was hoping to see what reasons men had for getting married.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:43 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
The bigger question is what kind of women is good for each man to marry?

Old 10-30-2017, 07:48 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm probably still getting over my experience with my Northern KY crush. I went out on a limb to travel that far to meet her and she wasn't able to be honest with me when I was honest with her. That stings I spent very limited vacation days and money to meet her and just not getting consideration is the worst.

This is why I'm not feeling marriage, I feel like I can't always trust the other person to do their part if I do mine. Being in a household where my mom's picker was busted and she married guys who were just takers just soured me on the whole thing.
Is your picker broken, do you think?

Old 10-30-2017, 08:27 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't accuse you of bringing up casual relationships or sex - I brought them up in the conversation because that's what so many people seemed to be interested in when I was in the dating pool. I was not interested in either. I already had plenty of friends and didn't want any friends with benefits.

You apparently enjoy the dating experience. I generally didn't enjoy it much. That's just the truth of it. And yes, I understand that in order to meet new people who may become a future mate, you have to have a first date, and a second date, etc. I just didn't particularly enjoy that process and that's OK - it's a common enough experience, whether you experienced it or not.
I wondered why you brought up casual sex too, in the context of enjoying dating. I was not interested in casual sex. My dates usually were, yes, that true. That fact didn't stop me from enjoying dating. Maybe I just enjoy telling men "No". I considered it sort of a hobby of mine. LOL.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I wondered why you brought up casual sex too, in the context of enjoying dating. I was not interested in casual sex. My dates usually were, yes, that true. That fact didn't stop me from enjoying dating. Maybe I just enjoy telling men "No". I considered it sort of a hobby of mine. LOL.
I don't like power struggles or games in relationships. Honestly, they wear me out. I just want forthright honesty and maybe even bluntness as long as it's not intentionally cruel.

And many people seem to consider sex to be a natural part of a dating relationship, especially after a few dates - at least that was my experience (and not what I was after). To me, sex after a few dates is generally casual sex - well, any sex before you are in a 100 percent committed monogamous relationship. That's just my own personal definition of course, and it's a generality. YMMV.

No matter - I got what I wanted, which was a terrific relationship and then marriage to a great guy. So it was all worth it in the end but no, I didn't particularly enjoy casual dating. It wasn't all horrible, of course but I don't really enjoy that whole "first few dates" thing, even with nice guys.

My husband (future husband) was the immediate exception. After a rough start (we had several dates postponed by very strange events on the front end and almost just gave up even trying to get together), we finally had a first date and it was FANTASTIC. We shut the town down and finally dashed off for a couple of hours sleep (in separate houses) before hitting our two workplaces a few hours later. When I got up, I immediately noticed that my face and my abs were both sore and I couldn't figure out why at first - till I realized they were literally sore from smiling and laughing so much for so many hours straight!

Thirteen years later and he still makes me grin and laugh every single day! It was all worth it. But we often joke about how sick and tired of dating we both were when we first met.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
I wish you many more years of marital happiness, KA. It doesn't get any better than that.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:50 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,961 times
Okay, I'll bite. A man should marry if:

1) It's important to him

2) He's found someone he can rely on to make the necessary massive life adjustment worthwhile

3) He wants to be a family man

4) He doesn't look like a fraud in a suit

Old 10-30-2017, 09:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't like power struggles or games in relationships. Honestly, they wear me out. I just want forthright honesty and maybe even bluntness as long as it's not intentionally cruel.

And many people seem to consider sex to be a natural part of a dating relationship, especially after a few dates - at least that was my experience (and not what I was after). To me, sex after a few dates is generally casual sex - well, any sex before you are in a 100 percent committed monogamous relationship. That's just my own personal definition of course, and it's a generality. YMMV.

No matter - I got what I wanted, which was a terrific relationship and then marriage to a great guy. So it was all worth it in the end but no, I didn't particularly enjoy casual dating. It wasn't all horrible, of course but I don't really enjoy that whole "first few dates" thing, even with nice guys.

My husband (future husband) was the immediate exception. After a rough start (we had several dates postponed by very strange events on the front end and almost just gave up even trying to get together), we finally had a first date and it was FANTASTIC. We shut the town down and finally dashed off for a couple of hours sleep (in separate houses) before hitting our two workplaces a few hours later. When I got up, I immediately noticed that my face and my abs were both sore and I couldn't figure out why at first - till I realized they were literally sore from smiling and laughing so much for so many hours straight!

Thirteen years later and he still makes me grin and laugh every single day! It was all worth it. But we often joke about how sick and tired of dating we both were when we first met.
Yay! I love that!

Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 PM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm probably still getting over my experience with my Northern KY crush. I went out on a limb to travel that far to meet her and she wasn't able to be honest with me when I was honest with her. That stings I spent very limited vacation days and money to meet her and just not getting consideration is the worst.

This is why I'm not feeling marriage, I feel like I can't always trust the other person to do their part if I do mine. Being in a household where my mom's picker was busted and she married guys who were just takers just soured me on the whole thing.
Diss, didn't you have a date recently? How did that go? No sparks, no match?

Nobody said the search was easy. But do you feel the long-distance one wasn't honest w/you from the beginning, or did she want to meet you, but maybe felt it wasn't a good match during the visit, without disclosing that? I recall she said she'd go to DC to see you, but didn't really mean it. Is that what you were referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships