Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 05:31 AM

1,199 posts, read 730,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Is there still a reason for a woman to marry?
Nope. But she doesn't risk much if she does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 05:42 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Nah. There's no real reason to marry. It's a weak security blanket at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
Agree with this. Enough of the Disney fairy tale BS. I've seen more than enough failed and bad marriages to ever think it's a good idea. Co-habitate, sure. Marriage, not a chance.
There's no good reason for marriage. But I don't get the "I'll just live with someone" crowd, either. I think "co-habitating" is a much bigger security blanket. It's for those who understandably don't believe in marriage but are too chicken to live alone.

It's the monotony of living together that kills relationships, after all, not the little piece of paper.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-24-2017 at 05:52 AM..

Old 10-24-2017, 05:48 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Really? So what's your experience of marriage? I was married for almost 23 years, and I can tell you that you're flat-out wrong.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:07 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Right. Because its a given a woman has no assets of her own, and women never have to pay child or spousal support.

Plus, they have no feelings at all, so if the marriage should fail it just makes them giggle.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy HalfNelson View Post
Ok. If you want to pick out things I didn't bring up to begin with have at it. I'm not going to argue with you because I don't care. I never said there weren't benefits to being married and no one else has either.

ETA: actually someone might have said that. I didn't though. I stopped paying attention to this when I went to watch the game.
Im sure I just imagined the post I quoted. Enjoy the game.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:11 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
I don't think there is a reason for anyone, man, woman or beast, to marry in this day and age. If you do have a long term partner, be smart about making sure your assets are ready to go to them if you pass away. Otherwise, marriage is outdated and frankly silly. But I have been shouted down about that opinion MANY times by the baby boomer contingent in this forum

Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
There's no good reason for marriage. But I don't get the "I'll just live with someone" crowd, either. I think "co-habitating" is a much bigger security blanket. It's for those who understandably don't believe in marriage but are too chicken to live alone.

It's the monotony of living together that kills relationships, after all, not the little piece of paper.
If two people live together, its probably because they want to.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Seriously. Marriage is such a sham. It's for folks who need attention and need a title to feel secure.
Exactly. Nothing wrong with having a life partner and a simple will or trust can take care a lot of your legal matters regarding real property once you die without your SO having to go through probate even if you aren't legally married.

Marriage is outdated, just like religion.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:59 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Marriage is a business contract, which may also produce and raise children.

There are good reasons for this type of business contract.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:16 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
There's no reason for this man to marry. I wouldn't do it if you put a gun to my head.

The rest of you can do whatever makes you happy, though I'd appreciate it very much if you didn't invite me to the weddings or act superior because you've made a decision I wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships