Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:13 PM

926 posts, read 673,631 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had a friend of yours that you knew was (or could sense that they were) scoping your SO?

By 'scoping', I mean, they're eyeing and checking out your SO a little more than you're comfortable with. They engage your SO in 'playful' and 'harmless' sexual banter and physically touch them in seemingly innocuous ways, like they put their arm around your SO's waist, presses their body against them or kisses them on the cheek or on the lips and say they're "just playin' ".

Let's say your friend is a person you've known for a long time and you really like them (or even love them like a family member), you've always trusted them and you usually would never think twice about them being around your SO - until you notice their behaviour towards your GF/BF has crossed a line in YOUR opinion.

How would you handle this type of situation?

Would you have a sit-down with your friend and talk to them calmly about their behaviour and mannerisms towards your SO?

Would you talk to your SO about it and get their feedback about it?

Would you do a slow fade with regard to allowing your friend to hang out with you and your SO?

Or would you call them out on their behaviour towards your SO directly and kick them to the curb?

I had a situation like this a couple of years ago. She wasn't a very good friend or a bestie that I loved and absolutely trusted, but, I really liked her and we shared many good times together, kind of like sisters. I confronted her directly about what she was doing. Of course, she totally denied it, but I knew what I saw and heard (and my ex even confirmed her behaviour). Needless to say, I tossed her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
That's only happened once, and I am writing it off as my good friend losing her mind.

I wouldn't discuss it, I would bail on the "friendship", otherwise I don't worry about it as I trust my husband.

Sure DH and I would talk about it, or more appropriately joke about it.

Besides that, nothing for me to handle, DH would put the kibash on the whole thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-24-2017, 10:10 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
My friends know better, especially my partners.

I'm not the one to be played a fool.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:51 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Hell no WTF????

Old 10-25-2017, 12:02 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Those are obviously NOT your FRIENDS if they try to jeopardize your relationship with your SO.

However, if your relationship is solid, and you are a confident woman who trust your SO, you should not bother. I probably would interrupt that "word play" and say, "nice try, but he is already taken". Or actually, I would expect my SO to say that.
Yes, your SO should stop that behavior, not you. I would be a bit worry if I observed that he responds to, and obviously enjoys such games. It would mean, that he is not taking you seriously, and will be always open to a flirt.
If that is going on in front of you, there might be going more (now, or in the future) when you are not present.
You should have discussion with your SO, and give a cold shoulders to your "friends". They will stop that, (or not), and you should take it from there.

Last edited by elnina; 10-25-2017 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 12:12 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
With my first husband, we knew a girl from work, who was like this. Flirty with my husband, handsy, etc. Talked to my husband about it, and he confirmed that he felt like she was being flirty too, and then I just told her what I was observing, and it needed to stop.

To her credit, she apologized and stopped, for the most part. A couple of times, she'd "get that way" again, and I'd just stare her down cold. She'd get the hint, turn bright red, and the behavior would stop.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
never happened. Never will happen. My friends are awesome.

I would do the same - talk to her and then throw her to the curb

Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
By 'scoping', I mean, they're eyeing and checking out your SO a little more than you're comfortable with. They engage your SO in 'playful' and 'harmless' sexual banter and physically touch them in seemingly innocuous ways, like they put their arm around your SO's waist, presses their body against them or kisses them on the cheek or on the lips and say they're "just playin' ".
I would tell her in no uncertain terms to get her hands off my husband before I kick her ***. If she does it again, she's toast, and no longer my friend.

I don't put up with behavior like that.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:47 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
More importantly is why your SO allows it.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:07 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
With my first husband, we knew a girl from work, who was like this. Flirty with my husband, handsy, etc. Talked to my husband about it, and he confirmed that he felt like she was being flirty too, and then I just told her what I was observing, and it needed to stop.

To her credit, she apologized and stopped, for the most part. A couple of times, she'd "get that way" again, and I'd just stare her down cold. She'd get the hint, turn bright red, and the behavior would stop.
I bothers me that you (and OP) NEED to talk with their SO's about those issues, and point out the appropriate behavior. I would think they know very well, what is out of bounds, but are allowing it because it strokes their ego. I would never tolerate such disrespectful behavior coming from MY SO.

Last edited by elnina; 10-25-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships