Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
At this point, I'd just casually wish her a happy birthday, and leave it at that.
I agree. Say nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 AM

52 posts, read 38,272 times
so i responded last evening. nothing dramatic.. just basically that i value our friendship and that when it comes down to it, that's really what we've been all along - good friends. that was it. nothing overly sappy, no "putting the ball in her court".

i hear back a little while ago.. she asks me if i know about some new band she was checking out.

ok then!

Old 11-03-2017, 11:18 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydouglas View Post
so i responded last evening. nothing dramatic.. just basically that i value our friendship and that when it comes down to it, that's really what we've been all along - good friends. that was it. nothing overly sappy, no "putting the ball in her court".

i hear back a little while ago.. she asks me if i know about some new band she was checking out.

ok then!
So she's ready to move on from this, and she expects you to also. You'll have to gauge over the next days and weeks whether or not you can do that.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:22 PM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

can't argue with you. this whole episode shined a pretty big light on some things i need to get right with myself. live, learn, do better next time

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-03-2017 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So she's ready to move on from this, and she expects you to also. You'll have to gauge over the next days and weeks whether or not you can do that.
yea. that was basically a "ok, let's change the subject" message.

we'll see how it goes. somedays i feel like i'm starting to get over it, and others.. not so much

Old 11-03-2017, 05:35 PM

92 posts, read 54,172 times
Quote:
if the friendship can be salvaged some way, without it driving me nuts, then i'm down.
That sounds good on the surface, but you're only setting yourself up to be disappointed. I did this once, and it was such a mistake. Met someone great toward the end of high school, and we dated for a while. Because I was going off to college, and we didn't want a long-distance thing, the relationship never had a chance to develop.

For years, we stayed friends. Both dated other people during that time. I thought there might be a chance for the game to come back around to me and I could be in the right place at the right time. Fast forward a few years and she leaves a message on my machine to say she got engaged to her b/f. Game over. I could've stayed friends but there would be nothing to gain. I never returned the call and never had any contact with her again. It hurt because I had been in love with her but I had to go my own way after that. Totally my fault for staying in the friend zone all that time. It was a dumb gamble to think I'd have a turn with her again, and I had no idea how much time I was wasting in a losing game.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Tower View Post
That sounds good on the surface, but you're only setting yourself up to be disappointed. I did this once, and it was such a mistake. Met someone great toward the end of high school, and we dated for a while. Because I was going off to college, and we didn't want a long-distance thing, the relationship never had a chance to develop.

For years, we stayed friends. Both dated other people during that time. I thought there might be a chance for the game to come back around to me and I could be in the right place at the right time. Fast forward a few years and she leaves a message on my machine to say she got engaged to her b/f. Game over. I could've stayed friends but there would be nothing to gain. I never returned the call and never had any contact with her again. It hurt because I had been in love with her but I had to go my own way after that. Totally my fault for staying in the friend zone all that time. It was a dumb gamble to think I'd have a turn with her again, and I had no idea how much time I was wasting in a losing game.
i completely see the point here. it makes perfect sense. i wish i found this advice easier to follow.

i made it through most of the weekend without thinking of her, and then, today after a quiet evening, she's been on my mind constantly again. i've had serious urges to contact, but i'm trying my best to hold out until the birthday (wednesday).

i just need time to pass already so things can get on however they're going to get on

Old 11-05-2017, 05:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
i made it through most of the weekend without thinking of her, and then, today after a quiet evening, she's been on my mind constantly again. i've had serious urges to contact, but i'm trying my best to hold out until the birthday (wednesday).

i just need time to pass already so things can get on however they're going to get on
It might help if you think about how much of it is just you getting used to breaking the habit of her. It may not be so much your feelings that you have to get over but the fact that she was so much in your daily routine.

Force yourself to think of something else when those thoughts sneak in, and physically get up and change locations if you have to.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:49 PM

92 posts, read 54,172 times
Quote:
i completely see the point here. ... i'm trying my best to hold out until the birthday (wednesday).
For the love of Pete from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, do not - I repeat DO NOT - do anything for her birthday. That is reserved for when you are sitting in the boyfriend chair.

On Wednesday, if you must do something special, do it for yourself. Go out with friends. Buy something for yourself. If nothing else, stay home, watch sports and get drunk. The birthday will come and go. It is just one day.

I think sending a Happy Birthday greeting would probably just cement your status in the friend zone. So sweet of him to text! She'd be more likely to want to pat you on the head than to rip your clothes off.

If you're going to focus your attention on a female, focus it on a woman you're sleeping with or a woman you stand a good chance of sleeping with. I honestly believe, based on what you've shared, that you missed your window of opportunity. Don't beat yourself up about it. That happens sometimes. You need to be proactive to make your own good fortune.

Here's another way this could possibly be looked at: If you spent a few cuddling sessions with her, and didn't feel a strong enough impulse to take it to the next step, maybe you just weren't all that into her. Then, in a sort of wishy-washy way, you try to escalate the relationship, only to be met with "sorry, I'm seeing someone." And, because you always want what you can't have, you're lamenting that she isn't with you, and there's much more of a mystique around her than there needs to be.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:04 PM

728 posts, read 471,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Tower View Post
For the love of Pete from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, do not - I repeat DO NOT - do anything for her birthday. That is reserved for when you are sitting in the boyfriend chair.

On Wednesday, if you must do something special, do it for yourself. Go out with friends. Buy something for yourself. If nothing else, stay home, watch sports and get drunk. The birthday will come and go. It is just one day.

I think sending a Happy Birthday greeting would probably just cement your status in the friend zone. So sweet of him to text! She'd be more likely to want to pat you on the head than to rip your clothes off.

If you're going to focus your attention on a female, focus it on a woman you're sleeping with or a woman you stand a good chance of sleeping with. I honestly believe, based on what you've shared, that you missed your window of opportunity. Don't beat yourself up about it. That happens sometimes. You need to be proactive to make your own good fortune.

Here's another way this could possibly be looked at: If you spent a few cuddling sessions with her, and didn't feel a strong enough impulse to take it to the next step, maybe you just weren't all that into her. Then, in a sort of wishy-washy way, you try to escalate the relationship, only to be met with "sorry, I'm seeing someone." And, because you always want what you can't have, you're lamenting that she isn't with you, and there's much more of a mystique around her than there needs to be.
I agree with much of what is said here. I had chances before with a woman that is gone now. I had a chance to be with her, but didn't make much of my opportunities. At one point, she had the name of our kid picked out. The allure now that they're out of the pic is stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships