Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:05 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
The other day I was with a group of people and everyone told their engagement stories, when people asked me I told them we just decided to get married. One of my friends is on her 3rd marriage and each man proposed to her romantically in Italy, Mexico etc....I had to buy my own cubic zirconia ring online and then just say we were engaged. (Never got a diamond but never really wanted one). I would have liked a proposal but my husband doesn’t do anything romantic like that. I feel kind of like in missed out on tradition.
You know how many of these fancy proposals end up in divorce anyways? Case in point, your friend. If you are happy, you are happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 08:06 AM

284 posts, read 234,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Last spring I managed to walk through a "romantic" proposal. I routinely went through the grounds of a cathedral on my way home from work. One day there was a family standing in the scenic spot in front of the church, so I just walked through them. As I passed, the one young guy dropped to one knee, and I noticed that the other people all had their phones out, taking video or photos. Whoops! But I figured it couldn't be that much of a surprise - "hey honey, we've been dating for a while, let's go for a Tuesday afternoon walk to the picturesque church with our parents and siblings....".
Ha, that literally just happened to us a few weeks ago in Savannah. Shouldn't have been surprised though, we saw at least half a dozen weddings and more than a few bachelorette parties, walking around the big fountain on a Sunday we were bound to see at least one proposal! I did feel intrusive and it confirmed my long held view that I NEVER want to be proposed to in public!

BF & I have been together 2.5 years, no plans to get married any time soon. BUT, we talked about revisiting the situation in a few years when both our kids have graduated from high school. Sooo, are we engaged?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:10 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Both of my marriages were a long the lines of "We should get married" "ok". And Done!!

Both men wanted to marry me, I find that uber romantic. I'm good with it.

I can tell you that DH's vows were so very romantic I couldn't stop crying
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2017, 08:43 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
The other day I was with a group of people and everyone told their engagement stories, when people asked me I told them we just decided to get married. One of my friends is on her 3rd marriage and each man proposed to her romantically in Italy, Mexico etc....I had to buy my own cubic zirconia ring online and then just say we were engaged. (Never got a diamond but never really wanted one). I would have liked a proposal but my husband doesn’t do anything romantic like that. I feel kind of like in missed out on tradition.
I've had a crappy proposal, too. So what. You cannot turn back time, so now what? Divorce him over it? You gotta get over it. Life is too short to worry about a proposal during the whole marriage.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Lol so let me get this straight. Someone told you about their proposals from THREE MARRIAGES and how awesome they were. And you are focusing on the cutesey proposal part and not the THREE MARRIAGE part.

People are funny aren't they. You should be thankful for your husband and your marriage.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,449,750 times
I didn't get a formal proposal - but I don't really care. I have the man - I don't need that other stuff. Besides, his "non-proposal" was exactly right - that was the point of it. Not the bling, not the showing off on Facebook - it's the meaning.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Lol so let me get this straight. Someone told you about their proposals from THREE MARRIAGES and how awesome they were. And you are focusing on the cutesey proposal part and not the THREE MARRIAGE part.

People are funny aren't they. You should be thankful for your husband and your marriage.
yeah, weird, right?

OP, maybe your next marriage proposal will be better.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:19 PM

287 posts, read 362,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

You're jealous of your 3 time married friend because she got cute proposals for at least 2 failed marriages. I'm really shaking my head over this one.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Your friend who has been married three times....

She had storybook proposals in memorable far away lands. Probably had 5-carat diamond engagement rings slid up her finger overlooking a perfect sunset over the Mediterranean. Yet, she did it three times which tells me for every great story she has to tell there are likely ten lousy ones to follow.

If your husband loves and respects you, then you already won. Fairy tales are overrated.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM

287 posts, read 362,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Your friend who has been married three times....

She had storybook proposals in memorable far away lands. Probably had 5-carat diamond engagement rings slid up her finger overlooking a perfect sunset over the Mediterranean. Yet, she did it three times which tells me for every great story she has to tell there are likely ten lousy ones to follow.

If your husband loves and respects you, then you already won. Fairy tales are overrated.
You definitely put it much better than I could!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships