Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever 'cuff' with someone during the winter time?
No, I wouldn't want to use someone like that just because I would feel lonely 13 76.47%
Yes, I would try it. Hey, it's better than being alone and sexless during the winter 2 11.76%
I don't know if I would 'cuff' with someone during the winter months 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:23 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been happening with a lot of people for probably hundreds of years, but Idk if it was a conscious thing that people were doing for the specific purpose of not wanting to be alone during the winter time or if maybe they did do it intentionally for that reason.

In theory, it makes sense that people wouldn't want to be alone especially during the cold months of the year because frigid weather usually makes people not want to venture out to socialize as much as during the warmer months, much less wanting to go through the tedious process of dating to find that special someone.

Some people cuff with a person that they normally wouldn't ever date or have sex with. For others who normally like sleeping around with a lot of different people, they sometimes choose to cuff with someone because they're scared they might experience a 'dry spell' during the winter season.

I personally have never cuffed with a guy, because when I date him and then start seeing him regularly, it's because I'm trying to see if we're compatible enough and like each other (and are attracted to each other) enough to want to enter into a relationship together.

I wouldn't want to be spending time with a guy, being sexually intimate with him and being affectionate with him for only a 'few months', and then once the weather gets warmer outside, we both dump each other and go on our merry way. Um, no.

Cuffing sounds very similar to having a FWB relationship; except that a FWB arrangement can go on much longer than a season - sometimes it can last for years. And other times, a FWB only lasts for a few days or a few weeks before one or both people 'next' the other to move onto greener pastures.

I can honestly say that I highly doubt I'll ever want to cuff with a guy - no matter what season it is or what the reason is. Being a little lonely during the holidays isn't the end of the world (at least for me it isn't).

If you've ever cuffed with someone, what was it like? Did it serve its purpose for you and was it a pleasant experience?

If you've never done this before, would you? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 05:30 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Before folks experiment with cohabitation, 'cuffing, and anything that even remotely resembles codependence, they should get some houseplants. If they do well, consider a cat. If that does well, maybe a fish tank.

Graduate to a dog.

If one can handle pet hair, pet vomit, poop and pee.......

...and the rigorous schedule of a pooch.....

Maybe...just maybe.....one can have a boyfriend or a girlfriend.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:34 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
This is something I've only heard of in my generation.

I think it's a stupid concept honestly and just a social media trend.

Getting with someone just to keep me warm at night isn't enough to make me want to tolerate the stuff that comes with it.

If I like someone, I like someone. Winter, summer, spring, or fall.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:38 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Sure, "cuff" me.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Nope. I couldn't seek out companionship based upon seasons. I have to genuinely like someone to be intimate with them, and to be blunt, I don't like people very easily. Now if I have reached that point where someone ticks enough boxes and has pushed enough of the right buttons that I want to hunker down for the winter with them, I will likely want to spend spring, summer and fall with them too. I can't imagine pretending to like someone just so I won't have to keep the sheets warm all by my lonesome.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Hibernating like bears!

Old 11-14-2017, 05:52 PM

426 posts, read 351,886 times
No way that would suck. I’ve had no problem celebrating Valentine’s Day and other holidays before by myself, with friends or family and it was kind of like another Halloween with lots of treats. I prefer that than having a part time person. If I really wanted to try hooking up it wouldn’t matter what time of the year it is. I feel that the winter months and the holidays would make more sense spending it with someone special like a significant other if you are in a relationship. I imagine how akward it would be to have a fwb or fling, how can that be romantic with someone that only wants something short term for a special holiday? I would think that it would seem clingy to someone who isn’t serious. I much prefer hibernating during the winter months. Sometimes it gets way cold to do anything or go anywhere outside. I would prefer to stay in, sleep and have lots of tea lol. I wouldn’t want to hit up the clubs or go on the dating scene and get frostbite. 😂😂

Old 11-14-2017, 06:01 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
I wouldn't do it to someone else, and I'd hope nobody would do it to me.

If a genuine and real relationship formed during the winter months, then I'd be down for sure.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Sure, "cuff" me.
lol

Old 11-14-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I wouldn't do it to someone else, and I'd hope nobody would do it to me. If a genuine and real relationship formed during the winter months, then I'd be down for sure.
Exactly. But, like your last sentence says, there's the potential for some people's "cuffing" to turn into something more...

It seems that most of you agree with my viewpoint about not wanting to cuff with someone for the short term or because it's a particular time of year. When I read that article, I was like 'wow'...there must be some desperate people out there to do something like that.

If I'm single during these long winter months, then oh well lol. I'm just not down for that type of 'companionship'...so I'd rather be alone than cuff with someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships