Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
"Guys less than 6' yall, you know what to do"

Ridiculous shallowness.
I read somewhere that only about 10% of the male population is over 6' tall. But about 80% of women surveyed want a man over 6 feet tall. So 80% of women are chasing after 10% of the available men. It is sad and also spells doom for many women, as they will wind up single forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 02:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That height thing is just a bunch of nonsense because I am tall and single and come across attractive women with short men all the time.
True but I also know many shallow women who only want a tall man. Who sit at home alone on Friday nights, wondering when their 6 foot 2 Prince Charming is going to come sweep them off their feet. Only he never shows up.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:36 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I read somewhere that only about 10% of the male population is over 6' tall. But about 80% of women surveyed want a man over 6 feet tall. So 80% of women are chasing after 10% of the available men. It is sad and also spells doom for many women, as they will wind up single forever.
It's not that black and white--stating a preference isn't necessarily dooming anyone to solitude. I can say that I prefer guys with dark hair, but I've actually dated blond guys and guys who've shaved their heads. It's only if someone is allowing a fantasy to override reality that there's a problem.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:46 PM

48,528 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I had a preference for guys over 5'10. My husband doesn't meet that requirement. He was too awesome to pass up though. Ironically, I ended up with RA in my feet, so high heels aren't an option anymore.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-18-2017, 02:51 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Also, dating profile checklists and junk, that's not how real dating with real people in the real world even works. You might THINK you would prefer a guy who is 6' tall, but there is a pretty good chance a woman would, if she met in person, a guy who was a few inches shy of that but had an amazing personality and connected with her right, she'd be like, "Well...ok, I guess it doesn't matter THAT much, let's give this fellow a chance." Our supposed requirements are in fact pretty negotiable, probably much of the time.

Unless it's something that has caused us some sort of real grief in the past, so it's become a deal-breaker, or there is a deeper and more significant reason for something.

Like I could say, "I don't date guys who are mostly bald with just hair around the edges." And that would sound pretty shallow, huh? But the reason is, men who look like that, look LIKE MY FATHER and just...ew. No. I might date a guy older than my Dad, but he'd better not LOOK like him. I think that's legit enough.

And ya know what? I sometimes wonder if some women don't put particulars like that in just to weed out men who don't read profiles. That's really off-putting to feel like just another dame in the numbers game, good looking enough to message but not worth the effort of taking five minutes to read our words.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:14 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Also, dating profile checklists and junk, that's not how real dating with real people in the real world even works. You might THINK you would prefer a guy who is 6' tall, but there is a pretty good chance a woman would, if she met in person, a guy who was a few inches shy of that but had an amazing personality and connected with her right, she'd be like, "Well...ok, I guess it doesn't matter THAT much, let's give this fellow a chance." Our supposed requirements are in fact pretty negotiable, probably much of the time.

Unless it's something that has caused us some sort of real grief in the past, so it's become a deal-breaker, or there is a deeper and more significant reason for something.

Like I could say, "I don't date guys who are mostly bald with just hair around the edges." And that would sound pretty shallow, huh? But the reason is, men who look like that, look LIKE MY FATHER and just...ew. No. I might date a guy older than my Dad, but he'd better not LOOK like him. I think that's legit enough.

And ya know what? I sometimes wonder if some women don't put particulars like that in just to weed out men who don't read profiles. That's really off-putting to feel like just another dame in the numbers game, good looking enough to message but not worth the effort of taking five minutes to read our words.
that reminds me of this guy at work. He's very handsome, my age too. One of my coworkers asked if I would date a guy like him. Nope...he looks just like my little brother, if my brother was his age. She was like Ohhh lol. So we're trying to set him up with our other coworker who is in another suite now anyways.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:46 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
With all the talk of height it almost sounds like I should try the US dating market lol, especially if 6 feet- is considered tall.
(I'm 6'4)

More on topic I think I have run into some unreasonable ones, but not really any super crazy. I mean the women who have 10+ things as requirements put up as a list, usually wind up excluding pretty much everyone I guess, but it's usually only the financial aspects that are unreasonable by themselves, alone, the rest become excluding because they become a combination of too many specific things that will simply mean the people who actually check all boxes have to be super rare.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 AM

710 posts, read 584,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
"Guys less than 6' yall, you know what to do"

Ridiculous shallowness.
I don’t have a problem with this. I’m black and I’ve been on dating sites where the person had “No black guys” on their profile and I never cared because people are entitled to be as discriminatory as they want to be in their dating lives. My problem just comes when people would look at a guy as some sort of shallow jerk if he said the same thing in regards to a woman’s weight.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 AM

48,528 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I don’t have a problem with this. I’m black and I’ve been on dating sites where the person had “No black guys” on their profile and I never cared because people are entitled to be as discriminatory as they want to be in their dating lives. My problem just comes when people would look at a guy as some sort of shallow jerk if he said the same thing in regards to a woman’s weight.
I think both are tacky, I wouldn't date someone if they wrote either, and I'm not black or overweight.

Both are jerky things to write, and that's an understatement.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Yeah, I don't consider dating preferences to be discriminatory by nature. It's along the lines that no one OWES anyone a chance at love, dating, romance or sex. You are not entitled to anybody, no one is. If a person has chosen to limit their acceptable options to like .0000001% of the population, well...maybe they'll get insanely lucky, maybe they'll die alone. But that is their life, and their prerogative.

Now how we express or enact those preferences...there are kind and diplomatic ways, and not so kind and diplomatic ways. And it might be worth contemplating the reasoning behind why we like what we like, and don't like what we don't like.

I just think you can have preferences without being insulting. It's different to say, "I prefer an athletic body type" as opposed to, "no fatties!" Make it about you, not about them. Because a curvy woman might not be Joe's preference, but she might be John's dream come true. I know some very heavy ladies who have no trouble at all finding men who adore them and are turned on by them. Same for slim gals. Everybody is somebody's flavor...no need to insult mint chip just because you're a cookies & cream kind of guy, right?

Most of the women's profiles I've seen with long lists of requirements, it was pretty obvious they were just being reactionary to things they didn't like with guys they've dated before. A woman with financial requirements probably had some sketchy loser try to glom on and take advantage of her, so now she's guarded against that. I've had exceptionally bad experiences with Libras, and veterans, so I'd be pretty hesitant to date either one now, even if I know it's absurd to judge large groups by one, or few examples.

EDIT: And then I post, and see this, which was posted while I typed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think both are tacky, I wouldn't date someone if they wrote either, and I'm not black or overweight.

Both are jerky things to write, and that's an understatement.
Look at you, saying what I did so much more concisely. Well done! Have I said lately, that brevity is SO not my strong suit...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships