Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 07:18 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Hey OP, I feel your pain. There are ways to improve your situation. I am an average guy. When I was single, I never had a problem getting girlfriends. Why? I have always been an excellent communicator. I really listened, and that opened more doors then you could imagine. Here is my advice.

First, what do you like to do? Hobbies are important. My wife and I both LOVE music.

Second, you can flip your housing issue. You need to PURCHASE a home. YOU won't live with your parents, they live with YOU. There is a huge difference between the two.

Third, what do you drive? Your choice of car makes a huge statement. Lets play a game. I will list a vehicle, you tell me what type of dude you imagine drives that vehicle.

Crotchrocket motorcycle.

Harley Davidson.

Toyota Prius.

Ford F-250 diesel with a lift kit.

Late model European sports car.

Late model American sports car.

Older Japanese economy car with wheels, slammed to the ground, high end radio.

Fourth, your friends create the image of who you are. I don't care how cool you are, if you hang out with an anime fan club, well birds of a feather.
I agree with everything except for the car part. Some women will look at a nice car for 2.8 seconds and then won't care. Many guys (especially in the city) don't even have a car, but I must say I doubt most women care what kinda car a man drives as long as it's clean and well kept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 AM

651 posts, read 407,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

Confidence is one of many factors that one may consider when determining another person's attractiveness.

I have certainly known people who were attracted to a person who happened to be overweight but who weren't specifically attracted to overweight people.
That perhaps may happen over the extended period of time, as people get to know each other naturally.

Initially, looks are everything. The amount of answers people get in online dating is mostly based on whether people like someone or not. It really is a very simple thing.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:02 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
My husband is, as you state, reserved and introverted, also mild-mannered, warm, and genuinely kind (not "I'm not an alpha male/bad boy...but secretly an entitled, arrogant douchebag" 'nice'.) He has a commanding presence and confidence, has the "tall, dark and handsome" physical traits, but isn't suave, charismatic or outgoing, which he's learned to fully embrace. If he had a different personality and character he might have had a different dating experience entirely, but then he also wouldn't be the person he is, and he thoroughly likes the person he is, as he should.
I laughed at the bolded - very well put!

My husband is similar to yours (except he's tall blonde and handsome lol). For me, I find a quieter, deeper guy much more confident and attractive than the loud outgoing sales-dude type. Which served me well during my dating years, since the same sort of guys liked/disliked me, too.

That's what I find odd about dating threads on this forum. Lots of men post that they want "women" to like them. They want to "get with" women. As if the female half of the population isn't the same level of humanity as they are, and all think alike in their rejection of them. Who actually cares what 99.99999% of women think of you as far as dating goes, if you find the right one? How many do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
For example, 'male feminists' think that it may somehow increase their chances of getting laid. Although females will agree with you, deep down they wont respect you.
Same goes with guys who try too hard to be politically correct.

I'm a mans man & can be as blunt as a brick wall. Political correctness is for ideologists & wimps who are too scared to say what they really think.

There was more than one occasion when I'd outrage girls with my then neanderthal black/white way of thinking but by the end of the night they'd show that they were interested. Go figure huh?

Girls often say they'd love to be with a 'sensitive guy'. What they MEAN is, that they want a guy who's sensitive towards them but not a wimp. Any girl who's worth having wants a man, not an emasculated, politically correct, 'feminist' who agrees with their every word.
And this post illustrates my point very well! It's a load of horse puck, mind you. My very masculine husband was a commercial fisherman working in Alaska when we met - jobs hardly get more macho! He's always been on board with women being real human beings that deserve equal treatment. He's not a jerk who insults people on purpose because he's 'not being PC'. Being a quiet, confident gentlemen beats a loud, abrasive braggart, which screams insecurity, btw, every single day.

My now grown daughter realized something when she was 13 in high school - that the "popular" dating kids were the biggest jerks to people around them. It's works in young adolescent dating, and adolescent minded adults. And some never move beyond it.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 AM

181 posts, read 378,692 times
That's the typical line a woman gives because she wants to avoid conflict. It sucks for us. For a woman though, they deal with more bs from rejected guys than you know.

Now if this is a regular thing for you, then you really have to start asking some questions about yourself, and why do you keep getting this response from women. Because it is something you are doing that is making these women not have an attraction enough to take things further.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Some people go by their hearts more some people look at relationships more from a practical or business standpoint.

Doesn't make either one right or wrong people are just wired differently.A lot of us get that warm fuzzy feeling around somebody that we can't explain even if they don't check every single imaginary box we have in our head that we want.

As far as the looks thing I bring it up because sometimes people over analyze a situation and beat themselves up over it and think what they should have done differently when most of the time you were friend zoned simply because you're not good looking enough.

Like I said my good looking friend never gets friend zoned. and don't tell me it's because he's conveniently "compatible" on every level with all these women.
This has been my experience my good looking friend never had to here the you will find a women that appreciates you. Which usually means a women who has no more options who resents you because she had to settle.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I laughed at the bolded - very well put!

My husband is similar to yours (except he's tall blonde and handsome lol). For me, I find a quieter, deeper guy much more confident and attractive than the loud outgoing sales-dude type. Which served me well during my dating years, since the same sort of guys liked/disliked me, too.

That's what I find odd about dating threads on this forum. Lots of men post that they want "women" to like them. They want to "get with" women. As if the female half of the population isn't the same level of humanity as they are, and all think alike in their rejection of them. Who actually cares what 99.99999% of women think of you as far as dating goes, if you find the right one? How many do you need?

And this post illustrates my point very well! It's a load of horse puck, mind you. My very masculine husband was a commercial fisherman working in Alaska when we met - jobs hardly get more macho! He's always been on board with women being real human beings that deserve equal treatment. He's not a jerk who insults people on purpose because he's 'not being PC'. Being a quiet, confident gentlemen beats a loud, abrasive braggart, which screams insecurity, btw, every single day.

My now grown daughter realized something when she was 13 in high school - that the "popular" dating kids were the biggest jerks to people around them. It's works in young adolescent dating, and adolescent minded adults. And some never move beyond it.
Regarding being liked by women, I think men are looking for some sort of something that typically sparks some initial interest. Not the deeper aspects of a person, which I agree invariably seal the deal. This isn't intended as some sort of a gotcha, but don't you think being tall and handsome and working in a traditionally masculine job helped you want to get to know your future husband? Had he been a short, plain school teacher with all of the other fine attributes your husband possesses, there's at least a decent chance you wouldn't have gotten to know him. That's not your problem, but it is the challenge the teacher faces.

I think some of the men who are interested in women may see them as alien like you describe, but some don't. They know that they may have to generate that initial interest repeatedly, what with the difficulty anyone has with finding someone truly compatible. If you're struggling to find that initial spark reciprocated even once, the thought of doing that multiple times is pretty daunting, and not a real confidence booster.

Last edited by homina12; 12-08-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-08-2017, 10:54 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
No it's not.

You could be the most passionate, confident guy in the world... if you're 300lbs, no amount of confidence or passion will make you attractive (unless you like overweight men)...

See my point?

Confidence doesn't make people attractive.
Yes I see your point.

What jgraham11 wrote touches on what I was alluding to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham11 View Post
I'm a reserved and polite guy too, so when I try to break out of my shell and act more outgoing it doesn't always seem genuine I think. I have a lot going for me in terms of physical traits though, 6'4, 200lbs, basically no body fat, but the shy aspect of my personality basically nulls everything I just listed

So what I'm saying is having confidence or being an extrovert does serve a person well in my opinion. If I was more extroverted and outgoing I'd probably have a wife by now haha. Instead I'm getting denied by women once they get to know me a little better. Attraction only gets you so far

Old 12-08-2017, 11:25 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
That's the typical line a woman gives because she wants to avoid conflict. It sucks for us. For a woman though, they deal with more bs from rejected guys than you know.

Now if this is a regular thing for you, then you really have to start asking some questions about yourself, and why do you keep getting this response from women. Because it is something you are doing that is making these women not have an attraction enough to take things further.
BS from rejected guys: The most typical thing I've dealt with isn't hardcore BS, it's more like...they want to know why I'm saying no, so that they can argue with me about it, change my mind, or otherwise try to negotiate the "no" into a "yes." Some guys will only accept "I have a boyfriend/husband" as a no. Which gives women the impression that men don't respect OUR persons, choices or rights, but only another man, even if it's a man he will never meet, or one that doesn't even exist! That's a bit frustrating. Also frustrating? Those who won't even respect that, but go on to try and negotiate it like "He'll never know" or "So?" or worse still, thinking if he challenges and beats up my man he can take me like a prize.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

But mostly, I don't say such things about how nice a guy is because I'm trying to dodge BS. I'm doing it because I don't like feeling like a jerk. I take zero joy in hurting another person's feelings. And just because I won't or can't date a man, doesn't mean I think he's scum.

Difference is, in the first scenario of the BS-dealer, I have been around the block enough times not to flatter this guy telling him he's nice or anything else. I'm gonna disengage and pop smoke and be gone in a few seconds. I don't like feeling disrespected and not taking my no for an answer, is disrespectful. Unless it's online, like on OKC, in which case I might mess with him. Demand he go on a magical quest to get his junk tattooed, or write me a series of haikus about kinky sex acts, I dunno. I only did such nonsense with the ones who didn't accept a polite no thanks, though.

The guy I'm not trying to be a jerk to? He's probably a friend, and I will likely try diplomatically to explain to him why it is that I have to turn him down, and how it's way more about what's going on with me, not about him. If I consider him a friend, then obviously I see good things in him. I might try to network him up with women I know who would be a better match, if possible.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
The friendzone was never an issue for me cause I do have some success with women. But my main issue was meeting women who are rude and b**chy. Some men will overlook a woman's bad attitude if she's hot and wants to keep having sex with her. I was never that type of man and would stop seeing a woman if she gave me a rough time. I recently dumped a woman because of this but she displayed sociopathic traits to her personality. After that I took a break from dating completely. Life is too short for people who aren't interested in you and are hostile towards you.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
The friendzone was never an issue for me cause I do have some success with women. But my main issue was meeting women who are rude and b**chy. Some men will overlook a woman's bad attitude if she's hot and wants to keep having sex with her. I was never that type of man and would stop seeing a woman if she gave me a rough time. I recently dumped a woman because of this but she displayed sociopathic traits to her personality. After that I took a break from dating completely. Life is too short for people who aren't interested in you and are hostile towards you.

Thirsty guys and white knights ruin it for the rest of us. Because they put up with bs that condition women to think every guy should put up with it and it's ok for them to be like that. Every guy should do what you did really.

I always said I like girls that were nice their whole life not ones that just decided to flip a switch at 35 because they feel like they're hitting the wall or something.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 12-08-2017 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships