Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times

Advertisements

This is an article is about pseudo dating.

Embracing Life's Journey: Pseudo Dating

Why would someone do this?

What would be the benefit of doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Strange. Not normal.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:45 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Fantasizing about a person before/if they even date them?

Sounds like a crush.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Read two words and clicked the x. No.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post

I almost closed that page when I saw the word “God.” But I resisted and read on and realized that I was guilty of this. I’m sure the regulars remember my yearlong thing with the Cincy girl. I emotionally invested myself too much into it. I pseudoed dated her thinking damn I got a keeper but I should have realized I caught feelings for someone I was never in the physical presence of.

I guess pseudo dating is better defined as getting too emotionally invested without checking yourself.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Well, it's just a blog post. And I don't really think that "pseudo dating" is the best descriptor.

It's definitely something we see here occasionally, where one person has attributed all these ideal qualities to a person they have a crush on, as Aureliea noted, and then when they finally ask out the other person and the other person says yes, they assume they are in a relationship (finally!) and that feelings are mutual.

I can think of multiple threads started by people who say they are confused about why the other person faded away when things seemed to be going so well. "I did everything right, and they lost interest."

It seems to be a problem of not seeing the situation as it really is but as you want it to be.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I almost closed that page when I saw the word “God.” But I resisted and read on and realized that I was guilty of this. I’m sure the regulars remember my yearlong thing with the Cincy girl. I emotionally invested myself too much into it. I pseudoed dated her thinking damn I got a keeper but I should have realized I caught feelings for someone I was never in the physical presence of.

I guess pseudo dating is better defined as getting too emotionally invested without checking yourself.
This part seems bizarre:

Quote:
He had been Pseudo Dating her. He was not on her radar at all, other than a friend from their group of friends. She started the thought process of dating him, the first time he asked her out. He had weeks and then months invested in her with his heart. In his mind and process that relationship was well into it's 3rd or even 4th month.

He already knows she is an early riser, he knows she likes her coffee a certain way, he knows she loves to take long walks, and wander in and out of shops. She knows nothing of him and is actually quite shy about asking all the important questions until she thinks she might even want to date him.
So...a crush? Like Auraliea said. I wouldn't call that any sort of "dating" when you're barely on the other person's radar. They're not even, like, a pen pal or something.

Mr. Meta and I hit it off instantly before we met in-person three weeks later due to distance. I hadn't moved near that area yet, but we interacted a ton, and there wasn't really a point we made it official. We were just together.

But I realize it can be hard not getting caught up in the fantasy element and warm fuzzy feelings. Where possible, I liked to meet ASAP to really cement, or further assess things like chemistry and such. But being so into someone that barely recognizes your existence or interest? We call that a crush.

I guess it's not as strange as having sex with ghosts and whatever else.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I guess it's not as strange as having sex with ghosts and whatever else.
That's why the term "pseudo dating" isn't applicable, really, because they weren't dating.

One person had an emotional attachment to a fantasy he had about a girl in his friend group. So by the time he asked her out and she said yes, he had already "dated her" for a month or two ... in his mind.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's why the term "pseudo dating" isn't applicable, really, because they weren't dating.

One person had an emotional attachment to a fantasy he had about a girl in his friend group. So by the time he asked her out and she said yes, he had already "dated her" for a month or two ... in his mind.
Reading that part made me chuckle.

And this...I just don't have any words.

Woman prefers to have sex with ghosts over men | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post

I don't know
And since you found this topic so interesting you couldn't post an excerpt or give any idea what it was, I guess I never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

Based on this, I think someone I met online might be pseudo-dating me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships