Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 12:52 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,204 times

Advertisements

You can date this woman, but things get complicated around kids. She might ask you to drive them back and forth to school, take them to appointments so she can work, depending on how old they are she might not be able to go on trips with you..The kids might get attached to you and that gets complicated if the relationship goes south..
Dating is fine, but I think you should find someone without children. This situation is for someone that wants to be a dad usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 09:05 PM

777 posts, read 452,449 times
If you never want kids but do want a relationship, a woman with teenagers is probably workable. The kids are going to be much more independent compared to toddlers, and should be out of the house soon, and if the relationship works out, you most likely don't have to worry about her wanting babies.

Personally, I think it's short-sighted and selfish to rule out dating anyone with minor children, regardless of gender. But to each their own. Those who don't give it a shot will never know what they may have missed out on.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:23 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
If you never want kids but do want a relationship, a woman with teenagers is probably workable. The kids are going to be much more independent compared to toddlers, and should be out of the house soon, and if the relationship works out, you most likely don't have to worry about her wanting babies.

Personally, I think it's short-sighted and selfish to rule out dating anyone with minor children, regardless of gender. But to each their own. Those who don't give it a shot will never know what they may have missed out on.
I suggested that the op walk only because he's not a man that can handle the additional requirements that a woman with kids may require. The kids need more and it's not an insult to the op, just an observation. Kids need to be wanted, not tolerated.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:33 PM

777 posts, read 452,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I suggested that the op walk only because he's not a man that can handle the additional requirements that a woman with kids may require. The kids need more and it's not an insult to the op, just an observation. Kids need to be wanted, not tolerated.
I think kids need to be wanted by their parents. If a teen has two caring parents, I don't think an SO has to go over the top meeting the kid's needs. A teen probably doesn't really care about a parent's SO as long as they behave decently toward them.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:38 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
I think kids need to be wanted by their parents. If a teen has two caring parents, I don't think an SO has to go over the top meeting the kid's needs. A teen probably doesn't really care about a parent's SO as long as they behave decently toward them.
True. I would tend to agree. I don't recall the age of the kids in the op, if it was mentioned, I got the impression that they were younger. I don't know.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I gather the idea here is any single mom, regardless of her personal situation, best resign herself to the idea that her dating/love life is over?
Glad my wonderful step dad didn't feel that way.
It's not the single mom aspect that is a bad idea here. It's that this OP should not date a mom.

If you are not familiar with his posting history, he has some serious mental and emotional health issues to deal with, so no, he should not put himself in a position that could be considered remotely "parental."

It's not that posters like me are advising people not to date single moms. We are advising HIM not to.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:03 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I am familiar with his condition and if this woman can handle it and the kids are teens, who here should tell this man he needs to stay by himself?
How about letting her decide?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:07 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I am familiar with his condition and if this woman can handle it and the kids are teens, who here should tell this man he needs to stay by himself?
How about letting her decide?
Well, she didn't come here for advice.

"Staying by himself" is not his only option.

That he is so easily swayed by the opinions here is yet another sign that this would be a bad idea for him AND for her ... and her kids.

Aside: IDK why people think that teens no longer need their parents or that dating a parent who has teens is a much more preferable option than one with small kids. Yes, they are more independent, but it's not like they are a non-issue.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Aside: IDK why people think that teens no longer need their parents or that dating a parent who has teens is a much more preferable option than one with small kids. Yes, they are more independent, but it's not like they are a non-issue.
No one said teens don't need their parents, and "better" doesn't equal non-issue.

All kids need their parents, but a mom with teens will on average tend to have more flexibility with dating than a mom of young kids, because with older kids the demands lean more emotional than physical. Younger kids need babysitters and in-person supervision in addition to the emotional support. Both have financial demands of course.

That doesn't mean the teens "don't matter". It's all relative.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:45 AM

314 posts, read 439,710 times
Dude.........stop...seriously. Stay friends with her or if you two are in agreement, FWB but do not date her. Your friends say you would be great but you have already said you do not prefer kids.

You can either go with your gut feelings or listen to your friends. I think it will not work out and then next thing you know.....you will be saying "I used to have this great group of friends..." because they will rally around her and push you away.

But hey, WTH do I know. do what you want be listen to you and not others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships