Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 06:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

You clearly don't understand how guys view Xmas shopping, or shopping in general.

I bet you this is how he's going to go about it.

He has a list. He will go as quickly as possible from one store to the next, trying to quickly find the items on the list. Where possible, if there's no decisions to be made, he will buy the one item as fast as possible. If there are decisions to be made, he will try to spend the minimum time on the decisions.

The last thing a guy going Christmas shopping a few days before Christmas wants, is someone going along with him "for the fun of shopping" who will linger over each decision, and constantly get sidetracked into the women's wear department where he has to root her out so he can get on with getting down the list.

Just let him get through this work item. When he can cross everything off the list, he will be able to relax again, knowing that's out of the way, and be available to hang out with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
Wow, you need to relax. I have no idea why this would bother you. It's a busy time of year. And here is something that might be shocking to you, maybe he actually WANTS some alone time. Sometimes I love being alone. I need my alone time. And I would never ever want my husband to come shopping with me, never mind xmas shopping. Give the poor guy some space.
That's healthy! Someone said to me years ago, "If you can't enjoy your own company, there's a problem." It's so true. We may vary on how much time we each need to be alone, but someone who can't stand being alone, even when in a relationship, needs to do some self-examination.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:21 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,763 times
I'm usually one of the first people to encourage someone to move on in cases where the relationship is either incompatible or it has run its course. However in your situation I don't think that's the answer because I don't think your bf is wrong. He just wants to get stuff done and not have to worry about entertaining you simultaneously. It's totally understandable, especially given the fact that Christmas is a couple of days away.

Instead of getting upset about this, just tell him it's fine, you'll go have lunch with your friends too (assuming you have some) and that you'll meet up in a day or two when you're both free. No big deal. I think you're more likely to push him away if you continue your current behavior.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:23 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
++ what turf3 says.

I can't even stand to go grocery shopping with my husband. I want to get in, get the stuff, get out. My husband lingers in every isle, looks over all choices, ponders, then asks me what do I think.... drives me insane. I hate Christmas shopping with other people, it takes 5x longer. If I go shopping in retail stores with other people it's more of a social thing, not a get it done thing. Or I need their opinion.

Your boyfriend just wants to get it done efficiently.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
++ what turf3 says.

I can't even stand to go grocery shopping with my husband. I want to get in, get the stuff, get out. My husband lingers in every isle, looks over all choices, ponders, then asks me what do I think.... drives me insane. I hate Christmas shopping with other people, it takes 5x longer. If I go shopping in retail stores with other people it's more of a social thing, not a get it done thing. Or I need their opinion.

Your boyfriend just wants to get it done efficiently.

I'm exactly like you but since the grocery store is next to my gym I'm there 4-5 times per week. I usually am buy 5-10 items at most and in/out in < 5 min through self checkout. I've learned the busy days/times so I go in off hours. I hate buying too much or un-needed items only to watch them go bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships