Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 05:41 PM

777 posts, read 452,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Interesting that some people think a 5-7 year age gap is "significant".

When I hear "significant age gap", I think 15+ year age difference.
I only commented because I think there is still some difference in opinion with regard to older female relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 07:26 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
1. How old are you and how old is your partner?
2. How did you two meet?
3. If you are the younger one in the relationship, don't you worry about the big possibility that the other person will die way before you and you may have to spend your final decades alone?

4. Do you worry what family, friends or even strangers think of your relationship? How do you deal with the disapproval of your relationship and people telling you it will never last?
1. She is 30, I'm 42.
2. Dating site.
3. I don't think she is worried.
4. Our age difference is only one of the unusual things that we have. She is much taller (7 inches gap), much better looking, different race, ethnicity and religion.

We are 10 years together, 2 kids. They said before that it will not last. Now, they have accepted us.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:09 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
2. How did you two meet?
3. If you are the younger one in the relationship, don't you worry about the big possibility that the other person will die way before you and you may have to spend your final decades alone?

4. Do you worry what family, friends or even strangers think of your relationship? How do you deal with the disapproval of your relationship and people telling you it will never last?
1. I'm 38, he is 58.
2. Through the fetish/BDSM/kink community. He messaged me on fetlife.
3. I do not worry about this, I plan for this. The notion of it happening the other way around is unthinkable to me. See, I have a lot of faith in my own resilience, I actually thrive when life changes in big ways every so often. Contemplating "forever" with one person disturbs me. Even being so in love I wish we'd met years and years ago, and that I had more time to give to him and to this relationship...I still take comfort in feeling that there is likely to be something more after "this" and "us." Probably, time for ME. And the idea of him suffering my death and having to mourn me? No. I would be miserably heartbroken for a time, but I would recover. He might not recover the loss of me. Of course life and death are unpredictable. Despite the big age gap, I could get hit by a truck any time, you never know. The notion of being alone in my old age? I would never be. I have many friends, always. And my greatest influence and role model was a Great Aunt who was widowed in her 60's I believe, and lived her final two decades "alone"...yet not, because she had many friends who were like family. A much younger one kept an eye on her and was designated to handle her final affairs. I'll simply do it like she did. Easy enough.
4. No one has told me it will never last, and I don't trouble myself with the contrary opinions of others. Other people can only speak for themselves. I have many reasons that this relationship is exactly what I needed and wanted most in my life, I could not be happier, and anyone who wants to try and cast shade upon that, deserves none of my time, energy, or attention. It's my life.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:01 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
2. How did you two meet?

1. I'm 47 and he's 59. We married when he was 33 and 2 days after I had turned 22.

2. At work, but I didn't start dating him until after I had left that job. I had assumed that he was married because co-workers told me he was married because he came in with a woman and a kid. The woman and kid was an ex and her son from her ex husband, lol. I was surprised when my friend who still worked there came up to me and said "X wants your phone number".

3. Kind of but I mean anything can happen so I don't dwell on it.

4. I really don't care what people think of the relationship. I was told by pretty much everybody around me that it would last 6 months and so far it's 25 years. My mom was (is) not happy with my choice because I dropped a doctor I was dating to get together with my husband who worked retail. Oh well. I don't let it bother me.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
An older man with a younger women works biologically, a younger man with an older woman is more of a romantic ideal. A 55 year-old man with a 40 year-old woman can work very well, the reverse is much more problematical.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:57 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
An older man with a younger women works biologically, a younger man with an older woman is more of a romantic ideal. A 55 year-old man with a 40 year-old woman can work very well, the reverse is much more problematical.
I read something today that ties to this concept. It was a thing talking about how men don't really seek emotionally supportive relationships with anyone but their romantic partners (too often) when it comes to intimacy and vulnerability and really opening up, men tend to not do that with other men. Which is part of why guys get mad when women do this in "just friends" situations...they feel that they are doing emotional labor that is only right in a sexual/romantic relationship, whereas a woman is just doing what she does with friends of any sort. It's how women conduct friendships. Which often means that women have better support networks aside from their husbands. And this is linked perhaps to the fact that men more often die sooner after being widowed, and a woman is more likely to be able to survive and cope with the loss of a partner.

Been giving this some thought, given my own inclinations...this feeling that I would not wish to subject my man to the experience of grieving me by dying before him, yet I feel I could go on and be alright, although I love him so very much...and I don't fear growing old alone. That's exactly what it comes down to for me, I cannot imagine ever feeling truly alone. It is so easy for me to get emotional support from friendships.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:05 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Interesting that some people think a 5-7 year age gap is "significant".

When I hear "significant age gap", I think 15+ year age difference.
Yeah. Exactly.

And over 30 years is a great gulf!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:26 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
An age difference depends on the ages.

Her 15, him 35, illegal.
Her 35, him 55, works fine.
Her 55, him 75, her working, him retired. She is facing becoming a care give as he ages which is not pretty. I am seeing that now with two couples I am friends with.

Reverse him and her in the above and the results are the same.

Age differences can matter on the ends, not in the middle. Just avoid the ends.......LOL

Old 12-19-2017, 09:13 PM

639 posts, read 376,006 times
I was just in a relationship with a woman 8 years older. I'm mid 30s.

The issue was not the age. The issue was her games, manipulation, accusations, instigating, etc..

I broke it off this morning.. actually it will now be the 3rd time in two months we've split..

We met on OLD... Always an interesting experience, good or bad or in this case crazy, Three time's a charm... it's o v e r, but it had nothing to do with her age.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
I just turned 60, she's 35.
We met in a restaurant, her mother introduced us. We've been together 2 years. Don't dwell on what may happen. We have a good life, and enjoy each other's company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships