Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,006 times

Advertisements

1. How old are you and how old is your partner?
2. How did you two meet?
3. If you are the younger one in the relationship, don't you worry about the big possibility that the other person will die way before you and you may have to spend your final decades alone?

4. Do you worry what family, friends or even strangers think of your relationship? How do you deal with the disapproval of your relationship and people telling you it will never last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 08:43 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
2. How did you two meet?
3. If you are the younger one in the relationship, don't you worry about the big possibility that the other person will die way before you and you may have to spend your final decades alone?

4. Do you worry what family, friends or even strangers think of your relationship? How do you deal with the disapproval of your relationship and people telling you it will never last?

She was 9 years older.

1. I'm 73, partner is deceased.

2. At work. I was her mentor.

3. Never thought, much less worried, about such things.

4. Everyone in both our families, friends, acquaintances, and coworkers embraced our relationship.

Relationship lasted 47 years; marriage lasted 40. Not likely I'll spend decades alone.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:57 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
1. How old are you and how old is your partner? I'm 61, she's 67
2. How did you two meet? Online personals, when they were still free
3. If you are the younger one in the relationship, don't you worry about the big possibility that the other person will die way before you and you may have to spend your final decades alone? I've thought about that with all 3 of my wives (present is the only older one). It's called "life"

4. Do you worry what family, friends or even strangers think of your relationship? Nope. Could care less how they feel.
How do you deal with the disapproval of your relationship and people telling you it will never last? All you can do is prove them wrong. We lived the first 6 years of our marriage living 70 miles apart, seeing each other mainly on weekends. People said marriages like that don't last. Our 16th anniversary is December 29.

The main problem with a case like #4 is mainly it's none of their business. It's between the two of you and nobody else.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 PM

378 posts, read 230,173 times
I'm ten years younger than him. We met on the road during my travels. I don't worry about him dying before me, honestly. As for what others think of us well there hasn't been much contempt or shame. His family welcomed me with open arms and my mom was well... my mom. She likes everybody so no disapproval there. Friends reaction range from curious to pushy at times, but again no harsh judgements. Strangers, however, don't know what to make of us. Is he her dad? Am I his sister? I mean I don't blame them. If I saw a tiny lady beside an enormous gruff dude I'd raise an eyebrow too.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
1. How old are you and how old is your partner? 28 year difference, I'm older

2. How did you two meet? We met on here, City Data dot com

3. If you are the younger one in the relationship, don't you worry about the big possibility that the other person will die way before you and you may have to spend your final decades alone? I'm older, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all. There are no guarantees on who lives and dies, or when. In this day and age, there is just as much chance I outlive her due to illness or accident

4. Do you worry what family, friends or even strangers think of your relationship? How do you deal with the disapproval of your relationship and people telling you it will never last? If anyone in my family, or any friends had any issue with us being together, I would have distanced myself from them immediately. But that never happened. As far as strangers go...I could care less what anyone unknown to me thought about our marriage.

Been together since 2007, married since 2008.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:24 AM

777 posts, read 452,514 times
How significant an age gap are you looking for? I don't think I am all that out of the norm, but here goes...

1. How old are you and how old is your partner? I am 55, he's 48
2. How did you two meet? OLD
3. If you are the younger one in the relationship, don't you worry about the big possibility that the other person will die way before you and you may have to spend your final decades alone? I am the older one, but have a family history of very long lives, so it's not a concern for him, I don't think.

4. Do you worry what family, friends or even strangers think of your relationship? How do you deal with the disapproval of your relationship and people telling you it will never last? I don't think it's an extreme age gap, and haven't encountered any open disapproval, but we are still in the early stages. Besides, there was a slightly bigger age gap with my ex, only my ex was the older one, and no one batted an eye, so anyone who wants to gripe can take a hike.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:00 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
Interesting that some people think a 5-7 year age gap is "significant".

When I hear "significant age gap", I think 15+ year age difference.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:24 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,257 times
Quote:
2. How did you two meet?

Why are you asking?
Mae

Old 12-17-2017, 01:51 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Interesting that some people think a 5-7 year age gap is "significant".

When I hear "significant age gap", I think 15+ year age difference.
That's what I was thinking too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Why are you asking?
Mae
I'm just trying to see how many of these relationships actually work. I prefer older women, but people keep telling me that a relationship with a significantly older woman will not work.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:27 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
That's what I was thinking too.

I'm just trying to see how many of these relationships actually work. I prefer older women, but people keep telling me that a relationship with a significantly older woman will not work.
If you were a woman contemplating a relationship with a man 15 years older, no one would even notice. A relationship with a significant age difference absolutely can work, if the people involved are compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships