Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:11 PM

457 posts, read 693,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Those are called Nu-males (beards, flannels, "tough guy" costumes and posturing).
Soy boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
Soy boys.
What is that commercial that is running right now for that new tv service? There's a yuppie guy ordering "nano-brew"? That's what I thought of first when I saw an OP.

If I have to see another "micro-brewery" open around me, I'm going to barf.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post

Why? If they're good, then its great. But the thing is there is lots of chud coming out. There will be a shake out soon.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:21 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why? If they're good, then its great. But the thing is there is lots of chud coming out. There will be a shake out soon.
I don't know. They're overpriced, way overhyped sausage factories. How many different "unique" IPAs can there be in the world?

Old 12-28-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I don't know. They're overpriced, way overhyped sausage factories. How many different "unique" IPAs can there be in the world?

Many many many... and many different west coast IPAs, or Midwest IPAs (which are closer to English IPAs) and Northeast IPAs.

I, personally, don't find it a burden to pay a little more for a premium product though. I'll drink or eat less, and do the higher quality thing. I actually won't drop money on stuff like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or Lagunita's regular IPA anymore, its just not worth it. Each to their own though. Of course, lots of women here love them as well. There are several women's beer clubs, and the local high end beer bars have loads of cool women (not that I'm looking at the moment)... but I never went out for drinks to meet women, personally.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Many many many... and many different west coast IPAs, or Midwest IPAs (which are closer to English IPAs) and Northeast IPAs.

I, personally, don't find it a burden to pay a little more for a premium product though. I'll drink or eat less, and do the higher quality thing. I actually won't drop money on stuff like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, or Lagunita's regular IPA anymore, its just not worth it. Each to their own though. Of course, lots of women here love them as well. There are several women's beer clubs, and the local high end beer bars have loads of cool women (not that I'm looking at the moment)... but I never went out for drinks to meet women, personally.
Maybe I'm just not into beer enough to pay double the price of a regular pint, or spend half my time there going over the nuances of each craft brew.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm just not into beer enough to pay double the price of a regular pint, or spend half my time there going over the nuances of each craft brew.

I hear you. I feel that way about wine, ramen, etc. Each to their own.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:05 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
What is that commercial that is running right now for that new tv service? There's a yuppie guy ordering "nano-brew"? That's what I thought of first when I saw an OP.

There’s this...

All tough guys

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGvrmltfMrA

Old 12-28-2017, 12:01 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
The appeal of NJ blue-collar type guys for women who work in an office is that you can get a good combo. They've been raised in a major metropolitian, so if they're smart, they have taken advantage of at least some of the cultural opportunities around them, but they can still build you a deck or fix your car. They aren't freaked out by encountering other cultures; they tend to respect what it means when someone has gotten a 4-year degree because of the work that was put in but aren't intimidated by it. They generally don't care if their girlfriend makes more than them like some guys do because they know they have other valuable skills beside their paycheck, such as being able to do home repairs, which can be pricey.

Also, in Jersey, there is not as much social stratification between blue collar and white collar. I had many friends from across the socioeconomic spectrum in my hometown, but after moving to Denver which has seen tremendous growth really in the past decade, I've found that people mostly stick to their socioeconomic niche. It's WEIRD here, but mainly from my perspective, I guess. Other friends from other parts of the country here have noted the same.

Gearhead blue-collar guys in Jersey are often different than gearhead blue-collar guys from other parts of the country. They probably have seen at least one or two Broadway shows or smaller local theater stuff, have spent time reading about American history out of curiosity because of all the historical sites around them, know a few people who were born in another country, etc. There's plenty of guys who are happily ignorant, but self-education is much easier in Jersey than in other parts of the country.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:01 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The appeal of NJ blue-collar type guys for women who work in an office is that you can get a good combo. They've been raised in a major metropolitian, so if they're smart, they have taken advantage of at least some of the cultural opportunities around them, but they can still build you a deck or fix your car. They aren't freaked out by encountering other cultures; they tend to respect what it means when someone has gotten a 4-year degree because of the work that was put in but aren't intimidated by it. They generally don't care if their girlfriend makes more than them like some guys do because they know they have other valuable skills beside their paycheck, such as being able to do home repairs, which can be pricey.

Also, in Jersey, there is not as much social stratification between blue collar and white collar. I had many friends from across the socioeconomic spectrum in my hometown, but after moving to Denver which has seen tremendous growth really in the past decade, I've found that people mostly stick to their socioeconomic niche. It's WEIRD here, but mainly from my perspective, I guess. Other friends from other parts of the country here have noted the same.

Gearhead blue-collar guys in Jersey are often different than gearhead blue-collar guys from other parts of the country. They probably have seen at least one or two Broadway shows or smaller local theater stuff, have spent time reading about American history out of curiosity because of all the historical sites around them, know a few people who were born in another country, etc. There's plenty of guys who are happily ignorant, but self-education is much easier in Jersey than in other parts of the country.
You remind me a bit of my assumptions vs reality when I moved to Iowa. Tons of farmland, yeah? So I figured, having come from Virginia, "This place must be full of hick yokels." Ha! Nope. Aside from the fact that most of it is big-agri-business now, even the family farmers are just as educated and decent as urban professional white-collar folk, sometimes more so. Hell, many of them even vote Democrat. (Not saying I think that is better or worse, only saying it was unexpected.) They were nothing like what I'd (ignorantly) assumed.

Having lived in a bunch of places (Northern VA, Cinci, Iowa, Washington state, Colorado) I love how people can be so fascinatingly different in various regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships