Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 09:19 PM

52,065 posts, read 52,525,617 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised by how many think that it's not disrespectful. While I don't think it's a huge dis I do think it is on some level. It does say that I really don't care enough to make an effort on some level.

I probably wouldn't get as tweaked about it as the OP, but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 09:41 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,808,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm surprised by how many think that it's not disrespectful. While I don't think it's a huge dis I do think it is on some level. It does say that I really don't care enough to make an effort on some level.

I probably wouldn't get as tweaked about it as the OP, but whatever.
I do think it's disrespectful, too, but then again I think it's disrespectful to dress for an airline flight as if you're going to a sleepover, and also to show up for a professional appointment as if you just rolled out of bed.

IDK I like a laid-back approach to life, but I do think we should keep some level of pride (the good kind ) in how we present ourselves to the others we encounter in the world.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:47 PM

124 posts, read 98,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I'm an old guy, from back in the day of dressing "appropriately." And yes, I do realize the trend toward casual dress nowadays--but--that term doesn't begin to describe the walking piles of terrible sartorial sense, usually accompanied by the common effects associated with poor hygiene. Being in the same room with these socially inept Troglodytes, let alone sitting with them, would be the definition of the date from Hell.

On many occasions my wife and I have noticed the scenario of a nicely dressed woman sitting with a man who looks like he's never gotten past his high school notions of what is appropriate attire. Yeah, I know we will hear from the "casual dress" crowd and their butt hurt complaining about "their freedom," telling us of the "comfort factor" which drives their poor choices in attire, and how we are all just butting in on their life.

I don't care that these slobs want to appear in public as an embarrassing testimony to their social cluelessness, but I do question the idea that they aren't aware of their crappy appearance. And the OP is absolutely correct in assuming this slovenly "look" is actually a sign of disrespect. Many young guys today are being raised by fathers who want to dress like the sons. Sloppy sports attire, ball cap worn as a permanent appendage, topped off with a teenagers sense of hygiene. Where will the youth get their social clues when dad looks just like the kids friends?

Every man should own at least one nice sport jacket, a couple pair of slacks, nice leather shoes, good wool sweaters, dress shirts, and a knee length wool winter coat. Not a large dollar investment, but a huge investment in one's chances for job opportunities, acquiring new friends, or meeting the person of your dreams.
You are right and it is sad these days. Unfortunately so many do it, some think it's acceptable.
People were so classy "back in the days" I'm old enough to have enjoyed that growing up in the 70's and 80s. My favorite person, my Grandmother who was born in 1910. She, and it seems her whole generation, were the epitome of well dressed, and presenting themselves at their best. All the photos I have show the gentlemen in dress slacks & shirts, & ladies in dresses with all the accessories on ordinary days. I miss that but I miss her more.

Good advice on what every man should have in his closet, it does make a big difference on many levels.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:49 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,103,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Every man should own at least one nice sport jacket, a couple pair of slacks, nice leather shoes, good wool sweaters, dress shirts, and a knee length wool winter coat.
Or I could dress how I jolly well like and not worry about piffling things like dating.

The sort of posts that begin with 'every man should...' get my hackles up, and make me want to wear band shirts (the more potentially offensive the better) and cargo pants until I'm seventy.

What's that you say? I won't meet the love of my life unless I pull my socks up and change my attitude? Good.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:08 PM

104 posts, read 96,401 times
People getting awfully worked up about sweatpants in here.

Yeah, don't wear them on a date, but I honestly can't see the problem with wearing them outside, as long as they're clean. It's sad that people are so judgmental about the appearances of others. I can see not wanting to date someone whose look you don't care for, but I don't really understand the reason for all the general sneering about clothes. Seems pretty elitist to me.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,808,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senmurv View Post
I don't really understand the reason for all the general sneering about clothes. Seems pretty elitist to me.
Nah, it's not.

I interact with people the same way, regardless of what they're wearing.

I'm not required to like their wardrobe choices, but it won't affect the way I treat them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 12-23-2017, 10:54 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,064,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Disrespectful? No.

Tacky? Yes.
And when they show up looking tacky, take a cue from the great Maggie Smith and leave em hanging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG8hzVz8qwI

Old 12-24-2017, 12:30 PM

212 posts, read 161,886 times
Now that I am trying online dating after being single for quite some time, I am running into the same dilemma however I have no problem saying that I am sorry but I don't think this is going to work out good luck and leaving. Honesty is the best policy imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships