Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 05:23 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,006 times

Advertisements

Any of you ever done this? How did you keep your feelings from progressing into something long term ? I would think eventually someone would get hurt because feelings would get too deep and one person would end up wanting more. Isn’t getting into a short term relationship basically just using someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 05:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
As long as both parties know what's going on, are aware of the situation, and agree to the terms, there is no problem.

Fair trade ain't no robbery.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:27 PM

70 posts, read 50,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
As long as both parties know what's going on, are aware of the situation, and agree to the terms, there is no problem.

Fair trade ain't no robbery.
Quoted for truth.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Any of you ever done this? How did you keep your feelings from progressing into something long term ? I would think eventually someone would get hurt because feelings would get too deep and one person would end up wanting more. Isn’t getting into a short term relationship basically just using someone?
Well, I'm actually in a relationship (2 months so far) that I don't think is going to be a long-term one. I've told my woman from day one, I take this day by day. There isn't an expiration date but we've already had one really bad fight and things don't look promising. I'm trying to make it work but while I'm not proud of it, I've kinda held back because I'm very uncertain about my long-term plan for life in general and I don't want to get too invested emotionally just in case this don't work.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:06 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
How do you tell ahead of time how long a relationship is going to last?
Do you decide that 3 months will be it and just call it off even if it's good?

Old 12-25-2017, 03:04 AM

953 posts, read 842,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
... I'm trying to make it work but while I'm not proud of it, I've kinda held back because I'm very uncertain about my long-term plan for life in general and I don't want to get too invested emotionally just in case this don't work.
The honesty is refreshing against the backdrop of your having expressed the day-to-day outlook to your partner that is controlling your present mindset. Fights - especially those bad and memorable ones - tend to cause reevaluations from both parties, but only you know when a certain threshold has been reached and it is time to take a break and focus your efforts elsewhere. Always be true to yourself ... best wishes.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:49 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Well, I'm actually in a relationship (2 months so far) that I don't think is going to be a long-term one. I've told my woman from day one, I take this day by day. There isn't an expiration date but we've already had one really bad fight and things don't look promising. I'm trying to make it work but while I'm not proud of it, I've kinda held back because I'm very uncertain about my long-term plan for life in general and I don't want to get too invested emotionally just in case this don't work.
I have a similar situation, only with a woman who's my friend. I met her through Meetup in September last year (2016), and we clicked (as friends) almost immediately, even though she's 10 years younger than me. Sometime in August this year (2017), she expressed romantic interest me. And based on our conversations, before the possibility of dating was even mentioned, I know she's looking for a relationship. Now, if you (plural) read my other posts on this forum, you know how I feel about relationships .

So I explained to her that we wouldn't work out as boyfriend and girlfriend, keeping things mostly honest, and leaving out the parts I knew would hurt her feelings. She wasn't happy, I'm sure, but I'm glad she was able to make peace with it; today, we're as good of friends as before. Of course, that might change when she finds a serious boyfriend, as it changed with my friends since high school ; but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:15 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
No

Old 12-25-2017, 12:06 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
If you know up-front that the relationship will be short term (because you will move away, or don't find the person attractive for something lasting), then I think you must disclose that a LTR is not going to happen. That's the ethical thing to do as a decent human being.

However, if you don't know, and are giving things a chance, then there is no deception. Most relationships do not work out long term, and everyone knows this. It's unfortunate if it works for one person but not the other. The purpose of dating is to determine compatibility for the long term - unless it is clear that it is just for fun or just to learn the ropes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships