Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
That's a chance I'm willing to take, losing a girlfriend is no big deal, going through a divorce is hell and my 5 year rule gives me a better chance of avoiding that IMO.
If you care so little about the girlfriend that losing her is 'no big deal' then obviously marriage or not will never be an issue regardless of the length of time.
You won't be kept around long enough for the issue to ever be raised.(Unless she's one of those extremely desperate women)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 10:41 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If I'm giving her the title of girlfriend, ain't that commitment enough?

And don't worry, I'd make it clear when it comes to kids, HELL no straight from the beginning.
Right. You're waving the huge red "I'm selfish" flag. That attitude is incredibly unlikely to ever attract a non-damaged mate. In any successful relationship, you put the other person's wants & needs ahead of yours as much as possible and they do the same. If it's totally 1-way like you seem to be looking for, you're only going to attract really broken people.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM

336 posts, read 195,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I saw a video recently from a dating coach named Mr. Locario where he says that you should make a woman wait 5-10 years before deciding to marry her so that you can fully know what you are getting yourself into.

Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1soUjxQklMY

What do you think of his advice? Do you think it is absurd to wait that long to marry someone if you are in love?
I think better advice would be "DO NOT, under any circumstance get married, period." But, if this "coach" hasnt quite gotten it yet, waiting 5-10 years actually makes sense. No woman wants to wait that long, for her 2 year long marriage, when she divorces the man and takes half his stuff. This kills the "starter husband" concept. I think marriage in general needs to be gone, considering no one thinks of it as a lifelong commitment.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:45 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
So he can waste your time for 10 years and then dump you when something "better" comes along? You could be with someone who is really taking your seriously and trying to build something instead of wasting time with a loser like that.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If you care so little about the girlfriend that losing her is 'no big deal' then obviously marriage or not will never be an issue regardless of the length of time.
You won't be kept around long enough for the issue to ever be raised.(Unless she's one of those extremely desperate women)
Losing a girlfriend = get each other's our of our respective residences and I never have to see her again

Divorce = long process which is costly

I know which is the lesser of two evils.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
So he can waste your time for 10 years and then dump you when something "better" comes along? You could be with someone who is really taking your seriously and trying to build something instead of wasting time with a loser like that.
In your scenario she CHOSE to let someone waste her time for 10 years unless she was actually physically restrained. She ain't no innocent victim. Everyone has a choice they can make if they support or decline an extended vetting process.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:25 AM

888 posts, read 555,161 times
I think though people should generally wait at least a few years. It takes that long to truly know the person. Yes there is the odd story where people meet and marry very quickly and it lasts, but that isn't the norm, and stories like that make people think leaping into relationships and marriage are a good idea, when I really don't think it is.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:43 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I think though people should generally wait at least a few years. It takes that long to truly know the person. Yes there is the odd story where people meet and marry very quickly and it lasts, but that isn't the norm, and stories like that make people think leaping into relationships and marriage are a good idea, when I really don't think it is.
For me, I think I'd be comfortable with 3-5 years.

But yeah, it ultimately depends on the couple themselves. Each couple is different.

The only part I think we can all agree with is that if you're dating someone for 5 years, and still not sure, then that's not good.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Again, the OP is not advocating taking it slow and making sure over a period of 5+ years that you get to know someone.

He is a BS artist who is telling guys to "make her wait" 5 years ... actively work to put her off for at least that long.

It's not the same thing, and it's pure game playing. That's all.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:32 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Unfortunately people who give out BS advice like this will never go away because there will always be folks out there who feed into it.

Those who see through this nonsense know there is no blanket standard that determines how long you should wait before making a serious commitment to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships